Handle Weight.

TheKing

Hey guys,
Weird thread here,
How heavy or light do you prefer your handles?
Do you actually have a preference or is it just what comes with the head?
Which materials are the best? Copper or Stainless, Should a 925 silver handle be plausible?
Has anyone made a 18ct gold handle?
Sorry about the 100 questions.

Good question! I don't really know since I've only used one razor but I think it's more to do with balance.

Copper is going to rust so it will need to be plated. Titanium is nice! Not as bright as polished stainless.

Good questions @TheKing!

I tend to prefer a heavier handle with a larger diameter BUT not too long as the really long ones I find get in the way.

The other issue is the head - because it is part of the balance equation. The same head on different handles with feel different.

There are some sterling silver vintage Gillette razors - pricey though - but I've not seen 18ct gold handles.

Definitely weight, length and diameter are factors that result in a different feel handle.

Did this answer your questions @TheKing

Sure did,
I have a longer heavy handle (parker 23c) seems to get caught on the side of my hand often but the shave is nicer.

Sure did,
I have a longer heavy handle (parker 23c) seems to get caught on the side of my hand often but the shave is nicer.

Nicer than ...

If you like the weight maybe a heavy, shorter handle might achieve the same 'heft' but without getting caught? It is relatively thin too I think ?

Since using my Slim for the first time today I have a comment to add.
The Merkur 34c is heavy razor - it's called the Heavy Duty after all. This I like, the weight of the head is balanced with the handle and the heft does the work of keeping the razor on my face. The slim, is a much lighter razor due to the hollow hand (for the adjustment mechanism) and the cap plate(s) are thin. Compared to a three piece razor, the head is very light. The balance is not so good and is head heavy. This I found I did not like quite so much as the light weight required pressure application (where as before it was literally none) and felt like it was falling out of my hand. I am sure I would get used to this if I were to use it daily, but in answer to your original question; I prefer a heavy, handle, but rather a heavy balanced razor.

Nicer then the weishi I had been using up until I got the 23C.
I have been using Wilkinson sword blades also, May have been part of the difference. (I may try the weishi with a wilkinson?)
I will have a load of merkur gear next week so we shall see which I pick.

18K gold would be useless. If you dropped it it would dent and bend. Which would work harden the metal and you would need to anneal it before trying to bend it back or it would snap. And that will make it bend easier next time. Same with Silver. You could go platinum or palladium if you want super shiny, but that will be hellishly expensive. Nickel could be an option if you aren't allergic to it, but it will be heavy!! Copper would be very nice. It is heavy though and you will need to keep it dry and clean. Brass could be nice too. People make brass and copper pens and they are beautiful. My Brother in Law has a copper pen that is half again as heavy as the same pen in brass!

If you just want shiny, go chrome plate (or nickel). If you want something different for the sake of it, go for it! But be careful with it. Metals with light weight or high heat conductivity will suck the heat out of the head and make it cold. Might not be an issue for you but a warm shave head works better for my crazy sensitive skin.

I like heavy. I am 194cm and ~130kg and I need to be able to feel the thing in my hand. I have a Rockwell stainless steel beastie that I love, and a couple of others in plated steel.

James