Heat and brushes

Pjotr

Cultured Philistine
2016 Sabbatical
Came acrosss this during a discussion on The Shave Den regarding removing a knot from a new brush handle. So if, like some who take all this to extremes, you soak your brush in near boiling water........beware. Never thought this was possible but there you go. You learn something every day.

Shaving Brushes restorations.

Ahh, so what you are saying is that Mark should have used that method instead of letting the smoggie fall out of its own accord?

Ahh, so what you are saying is that Mark should have used that method instead of letting the smoggie fall out of its own accord?

Well sort of. I don't think a wooden handle would survive 15mins of steaming however, it probably didn't need much regular pre-soaking to get there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I'm trying to contain myself from just purchasing more stuff, but I have a hankering to make my own brush. I'd buy the knot and make/turn the handle. Could be a pipe dream as I've never done turning before, so using a pre-made handle might be the way. This steaming method seems too easy to not try.

Thanks for the link. I'm trying to contain myself from just purchasing more stuff, but I have a hankering to make my own brush. I'd buy the knot and make/turn the handle. Could be a pipe dream as I've never done turning before, so using a pre-made handle might be the way. This steaming method seems too easy to not try.

Check e-bay. There are always brushes going. Some are pretty cheap.

interesting article on shaving brush restoration. ive always thought they were disposable after its useful life.

This is written by Tieste; isn't he on this forum?

I seem to remember him.

He dropped by a few times to post, but nothing recently, though he has been logged in but not posting a couple of times.