Hello and a semi-urgent question

Loquah

Hi all,

I've joined up today because I am in need of advice. I've been using disposables (Schick, Gillette, etc.) for ages as well as an electric from time to time and recently decided to try a double edged safety razor. I purchased a Merkur shaving handle and a sampler pack of blades.

I started out with a Merkur blade and had 4 fantastic shaves - very smooth, very enjoyable. I've just changed today to a Derby Extra blades (apparently a touch sharper than the Merkurs) and have quite a sore neck now after creating lots of small cuts where the skin was irregular (this is the problem I used to have when shaving every day with disposable razors). I normally shave every other day at the most (depending on work commitments) and there were 2 days between my last Merkur shave and today's Derby shave which is normally a comfortable timing.

So, my question is... is it normal to suffer some skin irritation and nicks when changing blade brands or is this a sign that the Derbys are not a good match for my setup and skin?

Thanks in advance everyone!!
Regards,
Lachlan

There are other more experienced members here that can give a ton of advice.

As a relative newbie to DE shaving as well, it could be the Derbys, or it could be your prep/technique. I didn't like the Derby blade, but some people like them. Keep at it for another couple of shaves and see how you fair. What else is in your sample blades?

Also have a look at YouTube videos for shaving tips. I like geofatboy's stuff because he doesn't waffle too much :) There's a couple of other guys do some good vids as well.

I'm by no means an expert, but there are so many variables with a DE razor. There is also a learning curve to get the technique right.

The Derby blades don't get a huge amount of love. Many people (myself included) think they're not very smooth or sharp. Merkur have much the same rep. You'll find blades that work better for you no doubt. (Astra are a good medium blade).

Having said that, in the beginning its almost always down to technique. Technique in prep, in lathering, in shaving.

Hi Lachlan. If you got a sampler pack you probably got some Personna Platinums (commonly known as "Reds") in the pack. Try them instead. Like most here I have a low opinion of the Merkurs and Derbys. The Reds are a good solid blade. I still have a few and throw one in my razor occasionally.

Thanks all! I should have clarified that I had an excellent shaving experience with the Merkurs so my technique, while no doubt developing / improving, seems to be OK. It's possible my lather was a bit thin today so I'll try again with the Derbys with a better lather.

It sounds like it's not normal to experience troubles just from changing blades, but more likely is either variation in my preparation and/or a blade that doesn't suit me (or is just not as good).

My handle is a long handle Merkur Solingen, I use Proraso cream and shave in the shower after allowing time for softening of stubble, etc. The sample pack of blades includes (in recommended order of use): Merkur, Derby, Personna, Astra and Feather blades. I think I'll try the Derby again on Sunday and if I don't have better results I might move straight on to the Personna.

Hello Lachlan and welcome to Paste & Cut.

To answer your question - no, you don't get irritation from the act of changing blade brands. You would have experienced the same issues starting with the Derby. Some blades will agree with you and some won't. But it's not exactly that simple. There are a few variables like the razor, your technique (as others have already mentioned), and other stuff like preparation.

The fantastic shaves you got with the Merkur blade is a total opposite to the experience that I got with them. Derby's are renowned for dulling quite quickly. I find them to be acceptable for 1 - 2 shaves.

Click here if you would like to try some others.

Thanks very much for the offer, but I still have the Personna, Astra and Feather to try so I'll give those a crack first. I might ask for a sample of some others once I know what works for me and I might be able to donate some of the left over blades to your sample stash though once I know what works for me and what doesn't.

Hi there @Loquah - welcome and best of luck with sorting it out. Seems like the Derby blades aren't for you but you can try again with a new blade just to be certain. You'll know when a blade suits your face...it will feel oh-so-smooth with no irritation.

Let us know how you get on. [emoji41]

Hi @Loquah and welcome to P&C

Blade samplers are, IMHO, the best of things and the worst of things. Let me explain ...

Apart from differences arising water hardness most people have similar views about the effectiveness of most soaps (don't ask about scents though!). I will accept for example that ARKO! makes a good lather.

Similarly there are pretty common views about the aggressiveness of different razors, some are mild, some are more aggressive and some are adjustable! At the beginning though you tend to only have one anyway.

Views on brushes vary a lot but at the beginning once again you don't tend to have more than one - that comes later.

Starting out, which is a learning process, you have a brush, a razor and while you might have some variety in soaps the bad ones (Col Conk anybody?) are generally agreed upon - so all the advice will tend to be the same.

The other variable in this process is blades. Here opinions vary widely and are influenced by individual hair types and growth patterns as well as the razor being used with the blade. You get given a sample pack with a 'recommended progression' and suddenly you have something that changes every few shaves, while you are still learning.

What is worse when you ask a question as you have the different experiences we have all had, although while there are Derby fans I can think of only 1 Merkur fan I've heard of, and it gets even more confusing.

So, if the Derby doesn't work for you on Sunday - bin it as you propose.

Grab either the Personna or Astra (both having favourable reputations overall) and try one of those. If it works for you - use the rest of that packet.

This will mean if you get 3-4 shaves per blade you will have a solid benchmark of 15 - 20 shaves with the exact same gear. This is usually enough to get your technique to a level where you can sensibly assess other blades and how they work for you.

If in the unlikely event neither the Personna OR Astras seem to click with you - ditch them and work through the rest of the pack of Merkur blades.

Sorry for the long rambling post - you might be able to tell I'm a little passionate about this! Good luck (y)

Hi all,

I've joined up today because I am in need of advice. I've been using disposables (Schick, Gillette, etc.) for ages as well as an electric from time to time and recently decided to try a double edged safety razor. I purchased a Merkur shaving handle and a sampler pack of blades.

I started out with a Merkur blade and had 4 fantastic shaves - very smooth, very enjoyable. I've just changed today to a Derby Extra blades (apparently a touch sharper than the Merkurs) and have quite a sore neck now after creating lots of small cuts where the skin was irregular (this is the problem I used to have when shaving every day with disposable razors). I normally shave every other day at the most (depending on work commitments) and there were 2 days between my last Merkur shave and today's Derby shave which is normally a comfortable timing.

So, my question is... is it normal to suffer some skin irritation and nicks when changing blade brands or is this a sign that the Derbys are not a good match for my setup and skin?

Thanks in advance everyone!!
Regards,
Lachlan

First part YES
Second part what other blades do you have (DE) available to use

Welcome to P&C @Loquah - I trust you will have a great time here.

@Mark1966 advise is pretty much spot on - so please follow it - your shaves will be much more pleasurable in the long run.

The only thing to add is, that the quality of your lather is one of the most underrated problems new shavers might have. A poor lather will result most likely in a poor shave for you, so try not to change your soap/brush combination (too often) and try to get a consistent lather as well in your routine.

The only thing to add is, that the quality of your lather is one of the most underrated problems new shavers might have. A poor lather will result most likely in a poor shave for you, so try not to change your soap/brush combination (too often) and try to get a consistent lather as well in your routine.

Ahhh yes, good call and good advice!

Welcome @Loquah

Its a normal part of the learning process. My recommendation would be not to judge the blade too early in your wet shaving journey. Try the blade again in a few months time and you might love it.

Enjoy the journey.

My second shave with the Derby (and a better lather) was improved over the first, but still not great. I definitely preferred the Merkur blade by a wide margin (which seems slightly at odds with what I'm reading in this thread). I've binned the Derby and installed a Personna for my next shave.

My second shave with the Derby (and a better lather) was improved over the first, but still not great. I definitely preferred the Merkur blade by a wide margin (which seems slightly at odds with what I'm reading in this thread). I've binned the Derby and installed a Personna for my next shave.
Personna will do it right for you

In all likelihood a good choice. Stick with them it they work for you ;)