Hello from Cairns QLD

Ybbor

Hi All,

Just joined up to support a local forum. Have been wet shaving for just shy of 12 months. Been though the bath soap > shave soap & cream, carts to DE's to straights, boar to badger and now honing. Using carts for travel, DE's for work days and straights for non work days. Have RAD, SRAD, BAD, SAD, and HAD LOL.

This morning I use Col Conk Bay Rum with Frank shaving pure badger and a merkur vision with an astra blade. I get 14-28 days out of my blades.

Cheers Ybbor (just trying to figure out how to put a avatar up lol)

Hello Ybbor. Welcome. 28 days with a DE blade? That's huge. If everybody would be like that the price of blades would treble.

Hi there! Yes 28 is really pushing it. I have found that the merkur futur or vision can do it however the fat boy and slim cannot. And I never managed a nice shave with a weshi (comfy). Feather is my choice of blade then Astra. Other blades are used under protest lol

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rkwgbd

hi ybbor, its the AD's that keep it interesting! I'm also intrigued by the longevity of your blades and the range of it.

3aa3afb5-461a-4a11.jpg

I too welcome you. I think the secret to blade life lies in the word "honing". I think our new friend is sharpening his DE blades after so many uses.
Still I didnt see the magic letters SE in your list.

Honing is a YNW crock of poo. It's an assumption throwback to the 60s when DE blades were thicker and poorly coated, if at all and had enough of an edge to be honed a little.

Modern DE blades are made for a short sharp life, and honing can't bring them back, you just strip the coating and they rust.

I'm assuming Ybbor's honing is to do with straight shaving. There was a dude over at YKW (Badger and Blade for the unititiated) who raved about honing SE blades but after he explained his method it made absolutely no sense and it was confined to the usual bullshit pile. I believe Mark and Glen have got DE honing stones. Maybe they could have a go and let us all know.

I'm assuming Ybbor's honing is to do with straight shaving. I believe Mark and Glen have got DE honing stones. Maybe they could have a go and let us all know.

Cant think of any other way of getting 12 to 24 days shaving out of a single blade. I do have a stone, but have no idea whatsoever on how to use it and really cannot see me ever reaching the stage of needing to.

Hi all the stones are only for the straight razors.

I haven't seen a SE in the flesh. I can get a week ish out of a Mach3. Derby lucky to get a week, dorco are rubbish unused. Coles wilky feel better after a week and last 2-3. It's only the feather and Astra I can push out to 3-4. The merkur vision on V gives me the most life. The futur also but since I got the vision the futur sits on the shelf more.

I have tried finger and arm stropping a DE blade and am unconvinced it helps. The razor pit helps a lot with Mach3.

The secret might be being "tight as" and pushing them. After using straights I now feel bad throwing a DE blade out. Also the merkur vision and futur really help although I like my old DEs looks. Tried G super speed + flare both very mild and a red ring from grand father, fat boy and slim from eBay and now just use merkur vision or futur. Also after learning to use a straight or cut throat I can shave with a DE on a more aggressive setting use for longer and get a better shave.

Love the cut throat!

Welcome welcome. We love new lambs to the slaughter.

We are pretty relaxed around these parts, and I'm glad to have someone who can hone here. Was considering a straight or two but the honing was concerning to me.

As for blades, I has ALL of them. Can I interest you in some NOS GBEs? :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another welcome.

This is an amazing forum. This forum really is special:

• the location of globally exclusive sales of multiple Double Ring Gillettes,
  • the source of the world famous Thomas Method shaving system,
  • holds world records for the most off-topic threads,
  • is a leading standard setting for best practice in mod activity.

So we are glad you found us. Enjoy your ADs, I have a couple as well. In fact can I interest you in a few razors....

The merkur vision on V gives me the most life.

This is interesting to me. Same razor, same blade, same hair that must be cut etc but a different lifespan of blade due to angle/aggressiveness? of the cut. Is the difference in how many passes you do?

Laughing at jugV2's edit.

Monsta edit: Yeah, me too - that's why I am leaving it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes that might be it I do a WTG and then rinse and then a touch up WTG pass. I don't XTG or ATG o don't find I need it.

Ah yes that might be it I do a WTG and then rinse and then a touch up WTG pass. I don't XTG or ATG o don't find I need it.

I have a Futur, only do 2 passes - either two W or one W&X. Still have to bin a blade after 3 shaves. Could probably get 2 more but don't bother. Could never get 2 weeks.

Back to the straights today. After 4 hours of hone work. Creamy smooth shave :). DE is good in a hurry but when you have the time a straight rocks!