Hello from Dubbo.

Pbgoose

Hello Paste & Cut,
I am Pbgoose and I have been a razor addict since Sept 2016. My only regret is this did not happen some decades ago.:(
Like most I was using cartridge razors and lamenting how expensive the cartridge replacements were. My son suggested the Dollar Shave Club which somehow got me looking at DE razors. I purchased a Merkur Barber Pole Slant 39C from Men's Biz which then got me thinking possibilities..........
I must have stumbled across some forums and read something which made me want to try straight razors. I hunted around and came across eBay seller rspe7027, whom you are aware has now given the game away, and purchased a Lindberg Munchen (11/16" Half Hollow) (I'll attach image if someone would like to explain how I find URL for a file location). I was hooked and over the following months of purchasing a number of vintage straight razors (maybe some 20.. or so :shy:) I can no longer use the argument with my wife that the move to wet shaving is economically based.
My preference is straight razors and I have purchased enough gear that I can hone my own razors. I still regularly use DE's with my latest DE purchase being the Muhle R41 Twist.
I started purchasing a few soaps and after having to commandeer some real estate in the bathroom vanity decided to muck around with making shaving soap which turned out OK. Not brilliant lather but just as happy with the results as the purchased soaps so maybe I'll save some dollars there (until I saw some of the interesting soaps on this forum that members are using).
So.. Hi, and in keeping with the spirit of this forum (doesn't appear to be a lot of discouragement for new purchases), can somebody suggest a nice butterfly DE.....probably new but wouldn't rule out a vintage in excellent condition.

Welcome Pbgoose. I'm new myself but I've found that if you have a question someone will help.

Hey there and welcome, you won't find discouragement from stockpiling here. I think a fun cheap recommendation is the feather popular, I've given many out as gifts and have heard nothing but good feed back and I have no reason not to believe it as my friends arnt particularly polite.

Welcome to the forum @Pbgoose ! Ron is a great guy and Ive recently bought a few straights from him.
Im sure you'll enjoy P&C (y)

Welcome @Pbgoose!

Great journey you have been on - which looks set to continue in a fine way!

Have you tried a vintage Slim or Fatboy adjustable?

Welcome @Pbgoose!

Great journey you have been on - which looks set to continue in a fine way!

Have you tried a vintage Slim or Fatboy adjustable?
Where's the best place to look for those? All I found on ebay yesterday was a 1953 Superspeed that was going to cost around $80 au freighted.

Welcome to the forum @Pbgoose ! Ron is a great guy and Ive recently bought a few straights from him.
Im sure you'll enjoy P&C (y)
Yes, Ron has been a great help. I'm sorry to see him shut up shop. I bought quite a few razors off Ron and you always knew they would be in good condition.

Welcome to P&C @Pbgoose - great to have you here (y)

What about your brush(es) - what are you using in that department?

Hi Alfredus, I haven't given a lot of attention to that department. I have three brushes, all badger. One is very old and a little worse for wear, no idea what make, but I still like to use it now and then. I bought a Shavemac last year which is quite soft, and a little travel Vulfix specifically for that purpose. The Vulfix is reasonably stiff. I'll probably look for something in between the Vulfix and the Shavemac. Might have to talk to Tony? Looks like he makes some nice brushes.

Where's the best place to look for those? All I found on ebay yesterday was a 1953 Superspeed that was going to cost around $80 au freighted.

The best place is the B/S/T here but we don't have a LOT of traffic. Other than that eBay is pretty much it or you scour local antique stores. Patience is a virtue!

Hi Alfredus, I haven't given a lot of attention to that department. I have three brushes, all badger. One is very old and a little worse for wear, no idea what make, but I still like to use it now and then. I bought a Shavemac last year which is quite soft, and a little travel Vulfix specifically for that purpose. The Vulfix is reasonably stiff. I'll probably look for something in between the Vulfix and the Shavemac. Might have to talk to Tony? Looks like he makes some nice brushes.

Tony makes some wonderful handles - he made the handles for the first P&C brush group buy (y)

But he sources his knots from overseas - unfortunately we don't have a brush knot maker in Australia (yet - @Tony Forsyth - how about that???) and actually very few around the world...most knots are sourced from China.

Shavemac are actually one of the very few companies in the world who do make their own knots...Bernd comes from a family of brush makers (of course not only shaving, but hair, make-up,...)

However they have at least 5 different types of knots (finest, silvertip, 2-band silvertip, DO1 3-band, DO1 2-band) in 3 different shapes (bulb, fan, flat)...and sometimes do full custom orders as well

So for your future search, it would be very beneficial for you to know: what type of hair and shape the Shavemac has and also the knot diameter and loft (height) - it could very well be, that the same type of hair with in a different shape and/or different loft could become your dream brush - you could easily loose some sleep over this matter :D :D :D

Maybe post a picture of the Shavemac - here or in the SOTD...