Hello from Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

obes

G'day Paste and Cut members,
I'm just getting my feet wet in the DE razor game. I've always used a cartridge razor with a soap and brush and I've already picked up a few ricks from the post's on here that have improved my experience with that set up. Thanks!

I've been researching DE razors and I'd like to pick up a clean gillette adjustable, preferably a 195, but the price's on ebay have been a bit steep, Any advice on picking up a vintage adjustable razor apart from hitting garage sales and auctions?

Also I was looking at the Mergress and just got an email from Lee's razors saying they are back in stock,
unfortunately a bit rich for my current budget, but I thought I'd spread the word

Welcome @obes, hope you enjoy your time here. There are sure to be many guys that could help you with a vintage DE razor, I brought my black beauty from a member here. By asking about them, I am sure someone could assist you with buying one of theirs, would be cheaper than auctions in my experience.

What shaving brush's and soap/creams do you use?

Hey SydBJW,
thanks for the welcome, It's my first foray into any forum so I hope I don't make any rookie mistakes! I'm happy to be schooled in these matters,

I'm currently using a a shave kit I received for christmas about 4 years ago, the brush is an Omega pure Tasso with a wood handle and the soap is Crabtree and Evelyn "Nomad",
Still got a bit of life in both but would like to upgrade after I get a razor. Current plan is to get some Proraso pre/post and am currently clueless on soap's, Any suggestions there?

And I might grab a blade sample packs from http://www.tryablade.com/blade to get going

Do I have any suggestions on soap :)

Actually firstly when you get a DE, pick one soap and use it and the razor for about 2 -3 weeks to try and improve your technique.

Soaps that are most easy to get here to start with would be Prorasso green, my barber even sells that one, have seen in it some stores in Sydney south west and a chemist at Leichhardt.

The other soap that is easy to get is shaver heaven, go to shaverheaven.com.au, the soaps are great and are made in Melbourne, pick one you like the look of you cant go wrong and will get to you far quicker than soaps from around the world.

Both the above soaps lather well and will help you learn the techniques of shaving with a DE.

After that there are many many soaps to choses from.

As for a blade sample kit you might want to ask the great guy that runs the forum @Monsta_AU , he might be able to hook you up with a starter blade kit :)

Awesome thanks for those suggestions @SydBJW,
the shaver heaven stuff the looks goods and good to support local

Thanks for making me feel welcome, I'll be back with more questions I sure

Hello @obes and a hearty welcome to Paste & Cut.

Consider a modern non-adjustable razor as an entry into DE shaving and then work your way to a vintage adjustable. The Edwin Jagger DE89 or Merkur 34C HD are inexpensive, easy to use, and will give you a great shave.

If you heart is set on a vintage adjustable search eBay for a Gillette Slim. They are cheaper than a 195 (aka Gillette Fatboy) and depending on who you ask they perform better.

Go for a Shaver Heaven soap as @SydBJW suggests because they are easy to lather, and perform and smell great.

Enjoy the shaves.

Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay.
While I can't give any advice on vintage razors, I can definitely say that it might not be a great idea to buy 1 of every blade from the very beginning. From personal experience, you will find that a blade's performance may improve later on as your technique does.
If I were you I'd buy a sample pack with 5 of every blade so that you always have a couple blades of each brand to come back to later for revisiting,especially if you plan to buy more razors in the future since not all blades perform the same in different razors. You could probably also get blade samplers from other forum members.

G'day @obes - good on you for deciding to jump in. I too had been wet shaving with brush and soap for a good many years before seeing the light and exchanging my cartridge for a safety razor. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with transitioning from cart to DE. [emoji106] Don't be a stranger...

Welcome @obes. I am new to this forum too, just got back into wet shaving after a few years when I went back to an electric. I've already got a stash of new soaps etc. Enjoy your stay

Welcome @obes I'm only a newbie around here as well, but can certainly say there is a lot of great advice from the gents.

What I can say, the only way you can go wrong with Shaver Heaven soap is not ordering enough (personal experience). I grabbed the 34c first off, but kinda wishing I had gone for the EJ DE89 for the 3 pce, but from what I've read you can't go wrong with either. I'm happy to keep an eye out for a slim/fatboy and PM you if I come across one so you can snipe it.

Also, whilst I haven't taken too much of a plunge with blades thus far (1000+ orders), I do have some Astra SP and PermaSharp Supers that I can send you to try if you want? PM me your address if you want.

Hello @obes and a hearty welcome to Paste & Cut.

Consider a modern non-adjustable razor as an entry into DE shaving and then work your way to a vintage adjustable. The Edwin Jagger DE89 or Merkur 34C HD are inexpensive, easy to use, and will give you a great shave.

If you heart is set on a vintage adjustable search eBay for a Gillette Slim. They are cheaper than a 195 (aka Gillette Fatboy) and depending on who you ask they perform better.

Go for a Shaver Heaven soap as @SydBJW suggests because they are easy to lather, and perform and smell great.

Enjoy the shaves.

That's good advice @Lifes a Peach, still on the hunt for a vintage but will bite the bullet soon to get a new razor, only 2 cartridges left in my pack and I won't be buying anymore,
only so much reading on razors I can do without actually trying one!

The logic was to get an one adjustable as I'm unsure of how my skill and skin will respond to different razor aggressive-ness and I read that the Progress had issues with reproducible results following blade changes, which led me too the vintage Gillette's,
but I've spent too much time perusing ebay listing's aimed at US collectors

I'll report back when I get up and running,

Stoked to be on board here and warmly welcomed

Welcome, hope you enjoy your stay.
While I can't give any advice on vintage razors, I can definitely say that it might not be a great idea to buy 1 of every blade from the very beginning. From personal experience, you will find that a blade's performance may improve later on as your technique does.
If I were you I'd buy a sample pack with 5 of every blade so that you always have a couple blades of each brand to come back to later for revisiting,especially if you plan to buy more razors in the future since not all blades perform the same in different razors. You could probably also get blade samplers from other forum members.

Will do @pyrokov, I can see how that would be important as pick up the technique,

So far I've got the impression Derby's are on the mild end of the spectrum and Feathers are on the sharp end,

if you had to pick 3 other brands/products to cover the middle ground what would you pick?

if you had to pick 3 other brands/products to cover the middle ground what would you pick?
Here's a handful you ought to try:
Astra Greens (easy to obtain and very cheap)
Personna Supers/Lab Blues (cheap and all-rounders)
Voshkods (cheap and work well in most razors)
Permasharp Supers (relatively cheap and a solid blade)
Polsilvers (not so cheap but reliably great)

It's best to get a packet of each and try one brand at a time.
Use a blade for around 3 shaves (each shave with 2-3 passes).
Don't jump from blade to blade, but stick with one brand for a while. Most will work okay, but at this early stage you're working on technique. So stick with the same factors and give them a good run.
You'll know when you find a blade you enjoy. And often it's connected to your improved technique.

Welcome @obes I'm only a newbie around here as well, but can certainly say there is a lot of great advice from the gents.

What I can say, the only way you can go wrong with Shaver Heaven soap is not ordering enough (personal experience). I grabbed the 34c first off, but kinda wishing I had gone for the EJ DE89 for the 3 pce, but from what I've read you can't go wrong with either. I'm happy to keep an eye out for a slim/fatboy and PM you if I come across one so you can snipe it.

Also, whilst I haven't taken too much of a plunge with blades thus far (1000+ orders), I do have some Astra SP and PermaSharp Supers that I can send you to try if you want? PM me your address if you want.
Hey @Korbz, thanks for the recommendation on the Shaver heaven soap, looks like they are doing good things,

I've heard the 34C and EJ DE89 are the go to for starting on safety razors. What is it that you like about the 3 piece over a 2 piece?

If you have some blades to spare that would be great, only thing is I'm unsure how to PM you

What is it that you like about the 3 piece over a 2 piece?

I only have experience with the 34c, and have loved it. The reason I look back and think the DE89 would have been good - options for interchangeable handles for more variety, and change heads if you want (if you want to try a slant head for example).

As to anything else, (quality of manufacture, exposure of blade etc.) I can't comment, and I've read a head of contradictory reviews :) Suffice to say, there isn't a bad choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.