Hello from Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.
The EJ is really a great razor to start out and will most likely last you way longer than the initial ~6 months you need to develop some decent technique...

After that (hopefully not earlier) you will go on a RAD and try 10-20 vintage ones, most likely get a slant and then either go on to:

a - Vintage, but expensive
b - modern but expensive (aka stainless steel)
c - straight/kamisori

or if you are really blessed:
d - all of the above :D

The Progress was my first DE - and it is a truly great razor. BUT like most, you won't be able to use it on just one setting, will start to play around and your initial learning time will drag on (yes I was one of those)

The problem is, it needs a different angle on a different setting - so while you think you have figured it out on lets say 0.5, it will give you a horrible shave on 1. But you won't know why blame everything but yourself etc., etc., etc.

Hey @obes and welcome to the insanity.
Hope your stay is long and mutually fruitful.

Some great advise above btw.
Where in Syd do you reside ? (depending where in Syd you are, I may be persuaded to sell a Proraso Green and Red and Col Conk Amber <=== is a shaving soap, yet probably better used as a pre-shave, yet is better than C&E imo, to get you going, may include some Polsilver SI as well.)

Astra Green/Platnium are great blades to cut your teeth so to speak, cheap, sharp and relatively easy to obtain.
Forget the Wilkinson Sword one's you see at chemists/supermarkets etc.
Shopping at The Shaver Shop is almost a banable offense.
Turnleys is an option for items.
@Anthony from ShaverHeaven is oft recommended and for good reason too.

What is your birth year and month ?
With this, we may be able to locate you your birth year razor :)
For example, a Z3 Black Beauty, is a black coated Gillette Slim Adjustable, with a plastic base plate, manufactured during July/August/September 1979

I only have experience with the 34c, and have loved it. The reason I look back and think the DE89 would have been good - options for interchangeable handles for more variety, and change heads if you want (if you want to try a slant head for example).

As to anything else, (quality of manufacture, exposure of blade etc.) I can't comment, and I've read a head of contradictory reviews :) Suffice to say, there isn't a bad choice.

My first was a 34C too. It was a recommended by @Mark1966 on another forum. Now my teenage son uses it. Every once and a while I come back to it and can't help but smile over how good a razor it still is. I'm still quite fond of it despite the collection of DE and SE razors in my den. The closest razor I have to an EJ89 is a Muhle Jet. The Jet is a limited edition DLC coated Muhle R89, which has the same head as the EJ89. I haven't used the Jet enough to make an informed opinion between the 34C and EJ / Muhle 89 series.

For my face a 34C paired with a Personna Med Prep / Lab Blue blades makes for a killer combination. The fun part, @obes , will be finding yours.

Hey @obes and welcome to the insanity.
Hope your stay is long and mutually fruitful.

Some great advise above btw.
Where in Syd do you reside ? (depending where in Syd you are, I may be persuaded to sell a Proraso Green and Red and Col Conk Amber <=== is a shaving soap, yet probably better used as a pre-shave, yet is better than C&E imo, to get you going, may include some Polsilver SI as well.)

Astra Green/Platnium are great blades to cut your teeth so to speak, cheap, sharp and relatively easy to obtain.
Forget the Wilkinson Sword one's you see at chemists/supermarkets etc.
Shopping at The Shaver Shop is almost a banable offense.
Turnleys is an option for items.
@Anthony from ShaverHeaven is oft recommended and for good reason too.

What is your birth year and month ?
With this, we may be able to locate you your birth year razor :)
For example, a Z3 Black Beauty, is a black coated Gillette Slim Adjustable, with a plastic base plate, manufactured during July/August/September 1979

Thanks for the welcome @borked, a great community here that have helped me out already

I live in Mona Vale and I work in Kensington, so if either work out to be convenient I'd be interested in those soaps, otherwise the Shaver heaven or Turnleys look like good options,

I was also thinking of getting an alum block, to cover my mistakes!, is that something you use?

I'm a March /1978 guy so looks like a Black Beauty might be my birth razor, infact @Korbz pointed me to one on ebay

@obes a Y1 Black Beauty indeed is what you would be seeking :)
IIRC @Question has/had a Proraso to PIF or for a pittance and resides where you work.
Far more economical to grab it from him :)
An alum block is a great thing to finish all shaves with, as it provides feedback to your technique (If it stings and by how much) and lowers the alkalinity closer to a neutral pH, yet some do react to them adversely.
Another ymmv and only way is to try first.

In a period of time that will surprise you, it will be you affording a similar offer to newer members, lamenting the lack of space to store your acquisitions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.