Hello from the Central Coast

MeekMarsupial

Hey there,

Thought I'd introduce myself seeings as I'm interested in posting in a couple threads from time to time and wanted to participate in an Australia-centric community so I can complain about how difficult it is trying to get foreign products into the country with our trash exchange rate and apparent geographical location somewhere in the vicinity of the moon if I'm using shipping costs as a point of reference.

I've been shaving with a DE razor for around a year now, starting with a $5 eBay job. Needless to say it gave a pretty bad shave but hey, it was cheap. About a month after that I switched to a Feather Popular, Edwin Jagger Synthetic, and an Arko shave stick because the first 2 were both cheap and on sale, and Arko is Arko. Seems I've been bitten by the wet shaving bug and am keen to find ever more expensive ways to remove hair from my face with sharp pieces of metal made in strange countries using treated tallow with strange chemicals and applied using the keratin growths of ever rarer animals.

I'm a beer, whisky, fishing, DIY and technology enthusiast along with being an amateur woodworker and undergraduate economist.

I'm from the Central Coast of NSW, for those of you who weren't taught in school where it is along with all the other major cultural hubs of Australia are like Uluru and Darling Harbour it's a little bit south of halfway between Sydney and Newcastle.

Cheers lads.

Welcome to P&C @MeekMarsupial - I am sure you will have a great time here (y)

G'Day and welcome to the fold.
FWIW my youngest just moved from there to Sydney for work.
As luck would have it, I bought him a vintage Solingen cut-throat and taught him to use it, then he grows a beard and hasn't used it since.......ah well
Hope you enjoy the ride here.

Welcome @MeekMarsupial - great first post!

So have you moved beyond that kit yet? Poked around the B/S/T here and picked up some bargains on a whole range of items yet?

Welcome mate - good to see a member with a focus on value for money! Sometimes that can appear a little lacking around here on the odd occasion...

Welcome aboard @MeekMarsupial !! You can learn a lot from the excellent guys here... also learn how to spend a lot of money (y)

Saddle-up Greenhorn, welcome to the fold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the warm welcome guys, great to be part of such an excellent community.

So have you moved beyond that kit yet? Poked around the B/S/T here and picked up some bargains on a whole range of items yet?
Haven't moved beyond the Feather kit yet, though I am eyeing off that Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty that ~Spyne~ has for sale. An adjustable would be good so I know what level of aggression suits me best. Strangely enough I've only ever had butterfly razors and the chance to buy a 3 piece or straight for a decent price has never come up. I might get a straight at some point for a laugh and a few disfiguring facial scars.

Cheers for the warm welcome guys, great to be part of such an excellent community.

Haven't moved beyond the Feather kit yet, though I am eyeing off that Gillette Super Adjustable Black Beauty that ~Spyne~ has for sale. An adjustable would be good so I know what level of aggression suits me best. Strangely enough I've only ever had butterfly razors and the chance to buy a 3 piece or straight for a decent price has never come up. I might get a straight at some point for a laugh and a few disfiguring facial scars.
The Black Beauty is a great vintage razor @MeekMarsupial - looks good and the adjustability is a great feature. The one on BST is a beauty (pun intended) and is a 1969 - pretty cool shaving with an almost 50 year old razor! Go for it man!

Welcome to P&C @MeekMarsupial , your interests closely align with a lot of people here :)