Hello! Time for a better shave!

Stibbs

Hello everyone!

After talking to a couple of people on various forums, I've been pointed here to begin my DE shaving journey. I've had enough of the Quattro's etc, time for a real blade :)

There seems to be a huge amount of information on here, which is a little intimidating - but hopefully I'll learn a lot!

Thanks,
Stibbs

Hi mate

Some of the gear might be a bit unfamiliar, but it's pretty easy to get to grips with. At bit of help and advice goes a long way too.

Welcome mate!

As Drubs said the gear is new but the process not too different.

If in doubt ask!

Happy shaving

Welcome...

Don't get worried about the 'great unknown' or thinking you'll end up carving 1/2 your face off . I absolutely guarantee if you follow some very basic steps and concentrate on your technique (which essentially is VERY basic & logical) you'll look back in a month or so and think,"Why didn't I do this yrs ago and why does everyone else use those multi razor systems and goop from a can?!?!"

Cheers, Nick :)

G'day Stibbs. I've been on the DE bandwagon for just a month, but it's alreadt been a very positive change for me. Hope it's the same for you mate!

Thanks everyone :)

I shall be purchasing my first DE blade tonight from Mensbiz with a bit of luck!

Hey Stibbsy.

If it was dangerous and everyone sliced their lips off when shaving, we would all be on Carts and this forum wouldn't exist.

Welcome home.

Figured I'd spoil myself... This is my cart on MensBiz currently:

- $45.41 - 1x Merkur Solingen Classic Double Edge Razor (33C)
- $15.91 - 1x Double Edge Blade Sampler Pack
- $10.68 - 1x Proraso Shaving Soap: Eucalyptus & Menthol
- $45.41 - 1x Vulfix Pure Badger Shaving Brush: #849

Anyone have any better suggestions before I actually make the purchase?

Figured I'd spoil myself... This is my cart on MensBiz currently:

- $45.41 - 1x Merkur Solingen Classic Double Edge Razor (33C)
- $15.91 - 1x Double Edge Blade Sampler Pack
- $10.68 - 1x Proraso Shaving Soap: Eucalyptus & Menthol
- $45.41 - 1x Vulfix Pure Badger Shaving Brush: #849

Anyone have any better suggestions before I actually make the purchase?

• Go the Merkur HD (aka 34C) instead.
  • PM me your address and blades will appear next week free of charge.
  • Proraso Red cream is better, the menthol numbs your face and not the best to start with (I can send a sample pot of the Eucalyptus & Menthol Cream if you like).
  • Mensbiz has a cruddy range of overpriced brushes and that is something that needs to be addressed. The Vulfix is probably the best value of a bad lot if you ask me.
  • Consider looking for brushes at the Supermarket or some chemists. I think Coles stocks the 'Windsor' brushes which are boars. Probably will do you until you decide to make an overseas order.

I think you need to be overly sensitive to menthol for it to numb the face, otherwise it's just cooling.

MB aren't the best. No good boars and the badgers are pricey $50 buys a really nice badger, but the #49 is an expensive beginners.

Welcome, read, study, think on it, and then buy.
Good place to learn is the section on today's shaves. You can see what the others are using and go from there.

Go the Merkur HD (aka 34C) instead.

The bloke from Mensbiz recommended that I get the 34C over the 33C too, and I've been very happy with my purchase. I'd definitely recommend it, it's performed nicely and seems to be a good bit of kit that you'll never really need to replace.

A word of warning - 34C will most likely ruin you for any DE that comes after. The fit and finish may leave a little to be desired but as a tool it is fantastic.

Hello and welcome. Hello and welcome to all the other new arrivals too. I've been away for a bit (still am actually) and haven't posted much. The membership has doubled in the last couple of months and I've apparently been promoted to moderator. Just watch me turn in to one of those megalomaniac little Hitlers. Can't wait.

Anyhow Stubbs, I tend to only change a thing at a time. For instance, if you were using canned foam or gel, just switch to a brush and soap/cream first and keep shaving with the cart for a bit until you get used to it. And yes, although I wouldn't say it's danmgerous, traditional shaving can be hit and miss for a bit while you're getting the hang of it.

• Proraso Red cream is better, the menthol numbs your face and not the best to start with (I can send a sample pot of the Eucalyptus & Menthol Cream if you like).

I'm struggling to find an Australian store that stocks the Proraso Red? Do I have to go international or have I missed a retailer somewhere?