Hello! Time for a better shave!

Famous last words! ;-)

Nah, hmmm I did actually mean not to go with the 'pack' options and well some of those other products wouldn't be my first choices in their respective catergories and I don't think they're sensational value like the 34c is BUT I'm sure they'll be fine and its very convenient. Don't get me wrong some of them like the Osma Alum are the best you can buy but when generic ALum's are ~$3 from best shave I'd question they being worth that much more.

You've definitely got some good kit there...I'm just a very 'savvy' shopper so don't mind me. Let us know how long it takes to arrive. :)

I mostly went with it due to the fact that it came with the 34C and a boar brush. From MensBiz that would basically cost $110 by itself let alone the other bits and pieces.

Just thought I'd give a bit of an update. It's been a good, what, 9 months? I'm loving the DE shaving :)

Still don't think I've got the hang of it yet though... skin gets irritated/breaks out a lot of the time still. That could be a number of things, many of which being unrelated to shaving. I learnt (very quickly) that my skin doesn't really handle 3 passes lol.

About to give in and buy some extra shaving creams and different blades. I've been operating almost solely on what came in that pack!

Hey Stibbs. Good to hear from you mate.

Glad you are enjoying yourself. A shame you are still having skin issues!

don't be a stranger...particularly if you are back on the crack shave gear buying trolley. You might be surprised what happens if you post a want-to-buy...

Don't be discouraged by the skin trouble mate, I had a stubborn patch on my neck that was only quite recently solved. Two things helped me get rid of it. Firstly, taking an extra minute to apply a hot towel to my face during prep. This helps to raise and soften the hair on my neck. Secondly, I mapped my beard growth and then worked out a 'system' that I religiously follow. It eliminated ATG passes and uses a lot of horizontal movement with XTG passes in opposite directions. This allows me to be consistently BBS on my face but not my neck, which is still clean and smooth but not completely reduced to avoid irritation.

I'm not suggesting you need to create a method of your own, but working out which angles and directions are antagonizing your skin and eliminating them will go a long way to helping.

I'm struggling to find an Australian store that stocks the Proraso Red? Do I have to go international or have I missed a retailer somewhere?
Might be a bit late for this but Shaver Shop stock it on the shelf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be a bit late for this but Shaver Shop stock it on the shelf.

If you want to pay $25 per tube... that's great.

I am pretty sure more than a few barber shops sell it. I have grabbed a tube of green locally at times. Still a bit exxy but needed something fast.

Mensbiz is the easiest place to get it, not many stores will carry it and $25 is taking the piss. Might need to throw in some blades to get the free delivery, but you'll also get freebies with it and it'll be there next day.

At the risk of defending The Shaver Shop the one here in CBR has the 150g Red and Green soap for $12 and the white for $13 - not bad IMHO

Nothing wrong with $15 if local. Thing with shaver shops is they're all franchises, and stock and charge whatever they want. A local one I went into a while ago had a few flavours of TOBS tubs. $45.

Proraso is the only thing I would buy there. I was actually talking to the bloke and mentioned I've recently taken up DE shaving and how well its working out for me. The idiot then tried to sell me an electric shaver!!!

If you like Prorazo, you'll love Vito's. I have the soft soap one. Very almond, great with a str8 razor.

Oh Vito's? Is it like cella? I am still searching for best soap for straight razors, it really is different to DE need/want.

Brisbane Shaver shop in the mall is not bad. Cairns one soso but trying. I guess most gents still rather use electric and so the stores are full of the face manglers :p

My opinion is that Vitos gives more slide and cushion. The almond fragrance is nicer too!:)-)