Hello World!

renagade

Just a quick post from me.
I have been DE shaving for maybe 4 years (razor and blade only), properly wet shaving for maybe 2 years (brush and cream/soap).
I shave once a week. I have 3 razors, nothing special and I use Rapira shaving blades almost exclusively. I have just started using a Merkur Progressive so have gone back to a sample pack to see if any other blade shaves better.
I bought a brush from Franks Shaving and I have no idea if it's any good, I have no idea what type of hair it is, so was hoping someone could ID

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...ACmA/FYKqozhIROw/s821/IMG_20120929_115202.jpg

Last question, is posting new threads not possible without a certain amount of posts?
Cheers
Laurie

Hi Renegade and welcome to P&C.

The FS brush looks like a pure badger but could just as easily be finest or silvertip badger. I use a similar brush and have no troubles with it at all, although it might not compare with what others on the forum use for all I know.

Posting by new members is somewhat limited for the first 5-10 posts to try and deter spammers. Most if not all posts will need to be mod approved at first, but within a few posts you will have been sucked in and will NEVER BE ALLOWED TO LEAVE!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

The knot (the bristles) in your brush is silvertip badger. Generally considered the more luxurious and soft hair types around. Haven't had a Frank Shaving brush myself but there are many who do as I believe it's more affordable than some of the other brush makers out there. Plenty of advice and info on this and other sites if you're considering expanding your brush collection. With regards the posting issue for new members, I believe (I'm a moderator by virtue of the fact I've been hanging around like a foul smell for ages) the first couple of posts need to be OKed by a moderator and after that you can post pretty much to your liking.

Cheers

PJ

In addition to the knowledge and financial hurt, there is also a fair amount of confusion associated with badger knots as each manufacturer has a different classification. Pure badger is generally dark from tip to base and by many is not considered to be very desirable as the tips are pretty hard. Best badger can mean anything but is generally a mix of more desirable bristles (i.e not pure hair) including silvertip and others.. I'd have to say based on your picture that yours is definately silver tip (it has silver tips!). Silver tip again has many guises including two band (silver at the tips and dark to the base), three band (silver, dark and back to silver), Manchurian, High Mountain etc etc.

Thanks gents.
Pretty happy with it at the moment and it's well broken in, with no issues so far.
I did start a new puck of Mitchells Wool Fat and found it to be incredible hard. I am unsure if I had the same issue when I started with my very first puck of the same soap. It just isn't lathering like the p.160 Tipo, which is obviously a very soft soap.
I just love the smell of the MWF.
Cheers

Yeah MWF is pretty hard. Likes being hit with a boar brush which is a much stiffer bristle than badger. Love the smell of it too.

Ah Mr Renegade, making the move from lurker to poster. Good man.

Hmm you've come to like MWF eh? I've actually been hankering to get some again myself. Rapira's are good solid blades but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find quite a few blades that'd outperform them in your Progress (nice choice). Of course the razor will always affect the blade's performance but you're in the right neck of the woods to try/get quite a bit of feedback.

Nice to have you as an active part of this merry gathering. :)

Welcome mate!

Now, you REALLY need to try at least 100 razors to find the right one - where shall we start? :huh:

(In joke - Drubs will explain - he is the master of trying out razors....)

Welcome mate!

Now, you REALLY need to try at least 100 razors to find the right one - where shall we start? :huh:

(In joke - Drubs will explain - he is the master of trying out razors....)

It was a turbulent 2 weeks, but not anymore.

Hi renagade, welcome mate. Have you tried the Frank Shaving brush with any creams?

Hello and welcome.

The same Renagade from OCAU?
One and the same - no one else misspells a word like me!

Hi renagade, welcome mate. Have you tried the Frank Shaving brush with any creams?

I actually haven't I basically went straight into MWF when I went full wet shave. I have considered it, I just feel that using a shaving soap is more hard core. lol