Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Well I'm after the expertise of the brush experts here.

I only have three brushes having PIFed my initial EJ Medium badger. My Semogue 1305 (brought on the strength of Drubs ravings on whirlpool about trying these I think), my Simpson Chubby 1 (brought following the wise words of Drubbing that if I didn't get one I'd always be wondering) and my Simpson MC2 that my wife gave me for Christmas. I also have an EJ travel brush but it doesn't count for some reason 9go figure!).

As I mentioned elsewhere here I'm thinking of just having the two brushes and was thinking of getting rid of the Chubby because I think I prefer the MC - it just looks cooler.

Don't get me wrong I still think that the Chubby is THE brush but the MC isn't that far behind that I can't forgive it's weaknesses for the cool factor.

The only thing stopping me keeping the MC and selling the Chubby is the shedding I've been experiencing with the MC. Regularly around a dozen hairs per use over the first couple of uses then it reduced to around half that but then the other morning this came out:

Not sure if the pic shows it but it is 12 or so hairs stuck together in a clump, down to the glue at the bottom holding them together.

I never noticed losing a hair with the Chubby which I understand is unusual - they usually lose some. Is the MC behaving normally though or do I have a problem?

Thanks

I think it's terminal mate, that isn't normal. Consistent shedding is a worry enough as it is. Once you get strands coming out with glue at the bottom suggests the knot at the base is compromised somehow. Vendor time, I think.

My Chubby hasn't lost a thing since the first wash through.

Clumps going down to the glue line is not good. Even if it stops there will be holes in the glue plug which will in all likeyhood retain water. You expect a few hairs here and there to work their way out; given the thousands that make up a knot there's bound to be some that aren't long enough to be sitting in glue. Sounds like a glue failure to me. These things happen. Friday afternoon in the factory, last batch of glue before the weekend kicks in......yada, yada, yada.

Hmmm, that is what I thought.

Not sure about contacting the vendor though. It was the mob clearing out the Simpson brushes I mentioned in this thread.

Maybe I will try contacting Simpsons and see how I get on. [Sigh] It is SUCH a nice brush otherwise!

Contact Mark Watterson direct, he should help you out, they stand behind their stuff.

So you have said, but can it be true? Can they really be that good?

Sent an email to the enquiries address on the Simpsons website at 8:10pm. Received a reply from Mark Watterson at 8:28pm - WOW!!!!!! Very impressive.

Yeah, you boundary pusher, you.
Wait, it's the other guy with a nick that starts with 'g' that is that terrible boundary pusher...
Sorry garethm.

Mark, great to hear about how quick you got a response via email. Definitely a problem with the brush that should be replaced. After all, the handles aren't too flash, at least they could glue the hair in properly.

Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that about any of our members.

Ignore that old bugger - we never thought you were implying anything of the sort!

Received my brand new replacement MC in the mail today - pretty good turn around from the UK.

I must say that the service we receive from a lot of suppliers of shaving gear is pretty good!

Boy this stinks!

I've read of the funky smell of new brushes but never experienced it before. Possibly because my Chubby may have been sitting on the shelf as Pasteur's for a while the the original MC was from a place clearing end of line stock.

This replacement MC though is stright from Vulfix - so it is much fresher and DOES have a pretty funky smell when wet.

I believe that all famous Italians only order their brushes direct from the Isle of Man so I'm pleased to have joined that select group of direct Simpson supplied owners.

Feel free to PM me if you want a copy of my 187 page manual on the care and use of Simpson Shaving Brushes, titled, 'In the Tuscan barber shop'

Last edited:
I believe that all famous Italians only order their brushes direct from the Isle of Man so I'm pleased to have joined that select group of direct Simpson supplied owners.

Feel free to PM me if you wat a copy of my 187 page manual on the care and use of Simpson Shaving Brushes, titled, 'In the Tuscan barber shop'

You've no cred. You've not name dropped one Italian barber with at least 50 years experience who knew the original founders of Cella, or name checked one single Simmo's employee, whom have crafted a piece to your obsessive specifications.

Whereas Pj lives around the corner from the CEOs ex-watering hole, and I drove past it today. Now that's cred (by tenuous association).

You've no cred. You've not name dropped one Italian barber with at least 50 years experience who knew the original founders of Cella, or name checked one single Simmo's employee, whom have crafted a piece to your obsessive specifications.

Whereas Pj lives around the corner from the CEOs ex-watering hole, and I drove past it today. Now that's cred (by tenuous association).

You Aussies are SOOOOOO cynical!

I DO have a packing slip from Progress Shaving Brush (Vulfix) Ltd that I'm keeping with the box AND external shipper from my replacement MC so that in 100 years time it will be SOOOOOOOOOO collectable - is that weird :embarrest:

Yerah....you tell'm drubbing! I drink there with Mark Wattersons (Watto to his close friends) old mates. The stories I could tell!!

Hmmm, can I get you to sign my packing slip maybe?