Hi From Camden NSW

Glen

Hi everyone

I'm Glen, 50, and just had my 3rd wet shave this morning.
I made the change a week ago and bought:
  • Merkur 34C
  • Sampler blade pack
  • DR Harris Windsor cream
  • Truefitt and Hill 1805 after shave
  • Muhle shaving bowl.
  • Muhle synthetic brush.
What a different experience this is. I'm using the Merkur blades at the moment and getting a perfect shave, no nicks whatsoever, although I'm looking forward to trying the other blades too. Loving the Windsor cream, what a great scent.
Shaving really has become an enjoyable luxury instead of a quick chore.

Anyway, hi to everyone.

Glen

Hi Glen. Welcome to Paste & Cut and congratulations on taking the step towards wet shaving.

I remember feeling the same way that you do when changing from other methods of shaving. The Merkur 34C was my first razor too.

Enjoy your stay and I look forward to hearing about your future experiences.

Welcome mate!

I remember that feeling well - a chore became a joy!

Hang around here and don't be afraid to ask questions. There is a learning curve and it is not always linear.

You have a good foundational set up but when you feel like more - we can probably help!

If you want to and are quick you might want to hop over and look at this thread where there are a couple of Barrister & Man Latha soaps available at a killer price. An American artisan soap maker these make a great lather.

Until you like and are liked and otherwise hang around you might not be able to post there by start a conversation with @Monsta_AU if you are interested.

Welcome mate, great choices for starting. Ditto on the Latha soap, you'll never get it cheaper!

G'day Glen! Nice of you to join up to P&C and even nicer is you joining the Wet Shaving ranks. [emoji106]

Welcome mate. Nice initial setup too - two scents I've never tried but always wanted to.

Definitely keep trying different blades. It's amazing how different they can all feel.

Hi @Glen and welcome!!!

Great initial setup and I can highly recommend some Voskhod blades which you can get at the moment for ~10US$/100 delivered from the Bay!

Merkur Blades? Must be a sucker for punishment.

Come talk to me once you have graduated to Astras or 7OC Yellows and we will talk.

Make sure you come along to the next Sydney meet up. Likely to be the first weekend after school goes back.

Monsta have you tried the stainless Astras? I see they are slightly dearer, a few reviews didn't rate them as good as the greens though?
And, are the yellows the pick of the 7oc's?

Monsta have you tried the stainless Astras? I see they are slightly dearer, a few reviews didn't rate them as good as the greens though?

I have, I find them comparable but slightly different. The SS are nice blades, remind me of some more vintage blades like my older pre-Energiser Schicks. The SP's are a better blade and I only recommend getting those.

And, are the yellows the pick of the 7oc's?

The pick of the 7OC's are the Blues made in the Czech Republic. Unfortunately they seem to be completely gone now (probably for 3-4 years) and I only ever had one pack of them. Laser sharp, buttery smooth. I did try the first Russian production of them but they were inferior to what I knew. I have not tried the latest batch of them.

If I had to rate them:
  1. Czech 7OC Blues
  2. Russian 7OC Blues
  3. Blacks (India)
  4. Yellows (Russia)
  5. Greens (Super Stainless, Russia)
  6. Greens (Permasharp Stainless, India)
I'd put Astra SP's above the Yellows but below the Blacks in this list. Permasharp Supers about even with the Blacks.

but of course ...

YMMV!

Of equal importance too, IMHO, is the razor you use.

My view is that it is the razor/blade combination that is important.

but of course ...

YMMV!

Of equal importance too, IMHO, is the razor you use.

My view is that it is the razor/blade combination that is important.
and in your instance, there is no such thing as a bad blade, you've just not found the razor in your collection it works in!

and in your instance, there is no such thing as a bad blade, you've just not found the razor in your collection it works in!

Well I do know some combinations that don't work!

Hi @Glen. I am sure you will enjoy your time here. I also started with a Merkur 34C and it is probably still my favourite razor I currently have but I only have about 4 which is a small collection around here :)

I think I'm there with you on 4 @SydBJW , and tempted to move on my rocket, black handled superspeed, and EJDE89 barley chrome as well.
I have one razor incoming, and if that is any good, I think I will just stick with two.

I'm sure I'll add to the collection at some point. I like the look of the Timor wooden handled razors..

Oh... If you hang around here, I'm sure you will :) You'll buy up big this year, around Xmas time, you'll publicly state that you wont buy any more, which will last about 3 months and by this time next year you will have a yellow banner under your name which says "2016 Sabbatical Fail"... Mark my words!

Welcome to the "enablers" forum.