Hi from Kippa-Ring, Qld.

Erimus

Long time double edge shaver, hoping to impart and receive knowledge here. I have couple of straights as well, but never got around to sharpening them.
I sharpen my kitchen knives with whetstones and just made a balsa strop for putting an edge on the knives and I'm getting really good hair popping results, so this has given me the urge to learn how to sharpen straights too.

Welcome to the forum @Erimus. What DE's and brushes do you regularly use?

At the moment I'm alternating between a Gillette Tuckaway which is very aggressive and a Gillette New and I use Feather Blades. I have a few razors in my collection, but these are the two I come back to most often and sometimes my Slant. I have a couple of budget badger brushes that I use most of the time and one expensive Kent brush that I should use more often, lol.
Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome @Erimus!
I love the Feather blades too. Have you tried other DE blades?

I've been through quite a few blades over the years and once a regular Feather user it's very hard to go back. I'd rather just pay the premium for them. I also use a half Feather blade in a shavette for shaping the top edge of my moustache, to me that a measure of how sharp and smooth the Feather is compared to other blades.

I'd rather just pay the premium for them.
I totally understand.
Having come from expensive multi-blade cartridges, even Feathers don't seem expensive. And it's nice to have a blade that you can rely on.

I originally got a pack of Feathers in my first sample pack and, even now, life would be fine if I had stuck with just them.

But since I'm a glutton for punishment, I've tried a lot of blades since. Most of them terrible (for me). But, a couple of pleasant surprises.

Anyway. I've rambled enough. Welcome again and don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone is friendly here. :)

@ Dale, You're right, Kippa -Ring is the postal address, but most folk refer to the general area as Redcliffe.

Thank you all for a very warm welcome. I already feel at home.

Welcome Erimus... we will have you honing those straights in no time ;)

Welcome to P&C @Erimus - great to have you here (y)