Hi from Melbourne

Ginge

Hi all
Just making my first post as a new member and a new convert to wet shaving and may I say what a joy it is.
It's only been just over a week now since I started but have made great progress and I'm loving every part of it and I thought I'd never say that about shaving.
Even the research of creams blades and brushes has kept me enthralled for hours and the tips I have picked up on forums has been a great help.
Looking forward to learning more about this art forms
Cheers all

Welcome to the Hotel California Ginge

What gear do you currently use?

A membership here is a good way to learn, and also buy lifetime supplies of what you learn about.

Someone recently learned about Myrosol I see.

Welcome mate. Yes, there are many different types of products out there, but most of us here will encourage you to just find one simple thing you enjoy and stick to that. No need to overdo it.

Welcome @Ginge - there are some enablers around here ;)

Hi I have a merkur 38c razor and have tried astra sp and personna red blades and have found both very good
As for a brush I have badger brush and the creams I have tried are
Razorock xxx,body shop Mecca root and art of shaving lemon
I started using the creams about a 6 weeks ago with a pro glide razor then decided on trying a DE razor and now I am hooked

Welcome and ignore the disablers, one of anything is never suffice, got to have a redundancy plan at all times, some more so than others, hey @Mark1966 ;)

Welcome @Ginge - great to have you on board but even better to hear that you are enjoying shaving!

Ignore @borked and his obscure reference to redundancy, I have a bit of gear as you can see here but most in these parts are more sensible.

The Merkur 38C was were I started too - a great razor and the Astra Sp and Personna Reds are nice blades.

Some good and generous blokes around these parts so dive in and make yourself at home

Great to have you on board mate. You'll learn a lot here.

I recommend that you get your hands on a Gillette Tech and a Gillette New ASAP. They can be found pretty readily in secondhand shops.

Last edited:
Hey mate
Nice to have you join in. Comment away and go for your life. If you don't ask, you won't learn. Sounds like you're off to a great start! In a few months you'll be able to compare to now and realise how much you've learnt and improved. Keep it up! [emoji106]

Hi Ginge. Always nice to have a fellow enthusiast from my neck of the woods. Lots of reference material here that will encourage lots of purchases. Lots of nice guys around here to guide you to shaving nirvana.

Hello and welcome Ginge. I guess the replies so far have neatly summarised the hurdles and enticements you will encounter. Yes, you will no doubt feverishly research all the available hard and soft ware and then you will equally feverishly look for the cheapest deal and then spend days like a little boy excitedly waiting for the postman to deliver. This "art form" really has got nothing to do with shaving. Have fun.

Welcome mate. Yes, there are many different types of products out there, but most of us here will encourage you to just find one simple thing you enjoy and stick to that. No need to overdo it.
Don't believe the above reply. I came here with 1 x straight, 1 x brush & 1 x soap. In less than 8-10 months of being a member, "enablement" has been thrust upon me to have far too much stuff. Run while you can.

................but most of us here will encourage you to just find one simple thing you enjoy and stick to that..........

That's just complete BS. Nearly everybody here will be exerting as much peer pressure as possible to ensure you spend as much if not more than they do. It's a form of self justification and provides a neat excuse to throw at their partners: "Me, spend too much on shaving gear? You should see what this new guy Ginge is spending!".

.............No need to overdo it.

I completely agree and recently started a sub-forum called SLAP (shave like Amish people) which could have the above statement as it's moniker. The response was an almost whole of forum raid on Barister and Mann soaps and delivery of a container load of the stuff. Needless to say I'm still the only SLAP member.

That's just complete BS. Nearly everybody here will be exerting as much peer pressure as possible to ensure you spend as much if not more than they do. It's a form of self justification and provides a neat excuse to throw at their partners: "Me, spend too much on shaving gear? You should see what this new guy Ginge is spending!".

I completely agree and recently started a sub-forum called SLAP (shave like Amish people) which could have the above statement as it's moniker. The response was an almost whole of forum raid on Barister and Mann soaps and delivery of a container load of the stuff. Needless to say I'm still the only SLAP member.

I'll join @Pjotr. If one razor a no name brush and choice of 3 blades qualifies me. (And of course not posting in SOTD).

Just a quick question what's the best early signs that you need to change blades
Is it nicks,tugging or something else I may have missed

If it's a modern blade not many of us push them more than 4 shaves.
If it feels uncomfortable but you are happy with your lather, it's time to change the blade, or the angle of your razor.

Tugging for me is an early sign, that a blade needs to go. I rarely don't do more than 2 shaves with my (modern) blades.

Unless you are using something expensive, I wouldn't push a blade too far. A couple of cents are not worth a bad shave...