Hi from Sydney!

esaitchkay

Hi guys, I got pointed to here by a chap by the name of mr626 - very nice guy who sent me shaving cream, #6 and a bunch of razor blades
Anyways, could you guys point me to a razor near the $30 price range?
Is there a wiki or something explaining the different types of razors, like open comb etc ?

Thanks!
:D

Last edited:
Hi mate

$30 is a bit light, you're best trawling the bay for vintage Gillette's at that price. Some OS online stores might have modern razors around the $40 mark.

We don't have a wiki here, but it's pretty simple: a closed comb razor has a bar between you and the blade, an open comb doesn't, the blade rest on top of a row of metal teeth. They irritate the hell out of me.

Aside from that, the only other variant is a Slant, made my Merkur. The blade is twisted from one end to the other to produce a scythe-like cutting angle.

A standard closed bar is best for beginners - Gilletes are milder than most modern razors, some find them too mild.

I bought an Edwin Jagger EJ89 on Boring Accountants suggestion back when the linked site had free postage worldwide. Might be worth keeping an eye out there if your budget is around $30 and you want something new.

We just don't know when they will next have the free postage offer unfortunately.

okay so if i were to raise budget to $50 then my best bet would be the merkur 33c?

The 33C is lighter and with a thinner handle than the 34C which tends to be a more popular choice. It is out of stock at Mensbiz but some alternative supplier here with Nick suggesting an good overseas supplier in the post below mine

okay well thanks to mark, i've found that superiorshave is selling a merkur 33c for just ~$30 inc postage!
also, my brush (#6) seems to have this awful smell - would this be the same case with all other brushes?

okay well thanks to mark, i've found that superiorshave is selling a merkur 33c for just ~$30 inc postage!
also, my brush (#6) seems to have this awful smell - would this be the same case with all other brushes?

Don't know what a #6 is, but all brushes will have some sort of smell before being well used - it is animal hair. Badger smell like a wet dog when wet, Boars smell hoggy. After a while they don't smell of anything other than yesterdays lather.

I think he means the #6 brush from bestshave.net. The consensus is that horse hair does seem to smell a bit at first, but as Drubbing mentioned, it'll go away after a while. Coincidentally, my #6 arrived today too, it's not bad for less than three bucks.

Welcome esaitchkay, you picked a good place to come for advice mate.

Welcome, welcome, welcome.....

As the others said you'd be well advised to stretch your budget a tad more than $30. Whats that around 7-8 Gillette Sensor blades worth?

Your DE kit, whilst costing a bit more up front that cartridge gear will last you for years....possibly a lifetime in the razors case, so going cheap will only result in the affliction many here suffer from (alas I think it's chronic & incurable!) - upgradeitis!

I'd find the extra $10 or so for the 34c - the 33c is a good razor but lacks the heft of the 34c.

The #6 horsey brush stinks? Gawd ya'll must be very smell sensitive or I'm shocking as I didn't notice anything at all, other than the standard 'wetdog' scent which is pretty much par for the course with any animal hair brush.

Haha suffice to say don't sniff it when it's not loaded with soap! Highly doubt you'll smell it once loaded and will go away after a few uses. Make sure you're hanging properly after use so it doesn't get soggy in the middle...as I'd imagine that would make it end up ponging!

Is definitely the bargain entry level brush buy around....anythng else in that price range is essentially useless, whilst this is a very good little starter or rotation brush.

Anyway....welcome and don't sweat buying too much stuff early. Concentrate on your technique and getting the best from a few GOOD products first.

Cheers, Nick :)

Welcome to the forum Mate.

You supporting the Swannies tomorrow or do you follow that other code?

Hello and welcome. What was the bunch of razors mr626 sent you? Or was it a bunch of razor blades?

Welcome to the forum Mate.

You supporting the Swannies tomorrow or do you follow that other code?

Cheer, cheer the red and the white,
Honour the name by day and by night,
Lift that noble banner high,
Shake down the thunder from the sky
Whether the odds be great or small,
Swans will go in and win overall
While her loyal sons are marching
Onwards to victory!

I'll be stuck at a wedding in SYD :(