Hi from The Coffs Coast

Michael Evic

Just thought I would introduce myself as I've been lurking around for a few weeks now.

So here goes, been into wet shaving for about 8 years mainly with a double edge but have had a dabble with a shavette which was a blood letting fiasco at time's , so retreated back to the safety of the DE. My first DE razor (and which I still own) is the Merkur Futur. I was happy with that until I found all these wet shaving sites which then sent me on a path of RAD, so now instead of that one good razor I've gone looking for better and so far have acquired the Merkur Vision(used about 4 times and every time has bitten me, so like the shavette that's out too).

I then bought the standard razor which I have been using for quite awhile and am quite happy with. My 2 most recent acquisitions were a used Edwin Jagger (thanks Nick-NTK) which I had read about and thought I'd give it a little play, but as with Nick, I'm not impressed with the manufacturers skimping on metal so the end tabs of the blade are exposed,but I'm sure it won't go to waste as I will PIF to a friend who has not yet dipped their toes into the wet shaving pond. My last and most expensive was the Mongoose as of yet I haven't taken it for a run but will when I can organise my shave time with more than 10 minutes before I have to walk out the door. As you can tell I have time management problems, but we all get there in the end.

Now onto the brushes,soaps and creams. As with most I think I started using a shaving brush and cream before starting my DE journey.

The first brush I got was a gift from my cousin who had picked me up a Mason & pearson badger from his trip to England about 13 years ago and which I still have but seldom use as Ive moved to Boar brushes. Semogue's seem to be my favoured boar at the moment and have the 1250, 1305, 1800, 2000. The last brush I got was a Whipped Dog 24mm high mountain badger which has been shown some time in my rotation but I need to give it more time to know how I really feel about it (we all get there in the end).

My first shaving cream and one that I still think is a great value for money product is called "Barbers Supply" shave cream and one I want to have another run at as it reminds me of MWF because I get a lanolin smell from both, stronger from the cream. My next was a soap and this time I tried Tabac and what can I say I don't like strong lingering scents for hours after I shave and even though It's strongly scented during the shave for me it doesn't hang around like a bad smell, so for me I really enjoyed this soap.

After that my next soap I bought was MWF and so far this is the BEST shaving soap I have used-post shave is phenomenal and a very easy soap for me to lather-why others have problems 'I Don't Know'. Just to give you a rough idea on the soaps I've got and am still assessing some. The ones which are for me top shelf are the triple butter Tiki Bar soap, post shave almost as good as MWF, the same goes for CRSW puro fresco (thanks Nick & I'm sorry - he really didn't want to part with this) as well as Stroppe shop. Osma Shaving soap(absolutely love this scent,just not up there with the post shave feel).I also had a couple of HTGAM soaps but I could not stand the smell of but did a couple of lather trials and ease of lather was exceptional, just not sure on post shave.Ive also got some samples from shaver heaven and while they are a very good soap for me I just didn't get that post shave love I seem to get from MWF.

Anyway thats about it for my little wet shaving journey so far. Michael from the Coffs Coast.

[Edited for retina burning wall of text.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, holy wall of text Batman!

Welcome Michael.
Hope your stay is long and fruitful for all involved :)
Read the welcome email and share the love ;)

Hello Michael, and welcome to Paste & Cut. It's really good to have a fine shaver join us.

Very nice introduction. Looking forward to reading about your experiences.

Welcome mate, you'll slot right in with that ute and trailer load of goodies to take to the next meet up. Wow

Welcome and I guess you will feel right at home here at the enablers club :D

Welcome mate - sounds like you are off to a good START. Wait till the serious ADs kick in ...

G'day there mate! Welcome. It's great that now @Nick the Knife had not one but two new shaving buds (the other harking from Newcastle). Time for a shaving meet up I'm sure!

Hi Michael. You have some great gear. If you stick around here for a while you will end up with a lot more :whistle:

The last brush I got was a Whipped Dog 24mm high mountain badger which has been shown some time in my rotation but I need to give it more time to know how I really feel about it (we all get there in the end).

Tell us more about this brush please, I've been looking at a 22mm high mountain from WD.

Did you get the knot set in deeper?

Tell us more about this brush please, I've been looking at a 22mm high mountain from WD.

Did you get the knot set in deeper?
From memory I think I got it set at 57mm,After about half a dozen uses its still loosing a couple of hairs,its a nice brush but I just tend to go to the boars just love them(definitely not for the new smell) and they get better when there broken in.
Sorry I can't be more help but 'Mark the honemeister' might be able to give you a better view/review as I think he has a couple as does Anthony(shaver heaven).I recall both doing videos using the WD.

Welcome Michael!

I actually got to meet Michael through him being exceedingly generous with PIFing an item on another non-shaving forum. He's an exceptionally good bloke, very knowledgeable in several areas and a straight shooter.

He's got quite a few very nice pieces of shaving kit in both blades, razors and soaps particularly some special edition stuff from smaller US based artisan makers. A sprinkling of Safety razors, straights and even kamisoris....though I think he's still plucking up the courage to take on the latter two!

He'll also work in well with folks here as much much a coffee aficionado (has absolutely sensational high end kit and has like several of us has been roasting his own beans for several years).

Anyway welcome Michael, you were true to your word about getting your intro thread up within the week! Cheers, Nick