Home Automation

CCTV system

OK, so I *may* have the tendency to start a project small and it grows ...

I started with an "overspec'ed" refurbished Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF i5 9500 3GHz, 16GB [upgraded] RAM, 256GB NVME SSD, DVD/RW, W11P and a larger 6TB Seagate Surveillance 3.5 HDD from FB Marketplace. Then I got the server cabinet to keep it all neat and secure ...

Of course I needed another camera for the garage so I got a Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-LU2 – 4MP Outdoor ColorVu Gen 2 Turret Camera, 24/7 Colour with AcuSense, 2.8mm 112 deg Built in Mic. Oh that colour is SWEET and a lot higher quality images than my existing camera out the front, especially at night ...

... so of course I've ordered a Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-LU4 – 4MP Outdoor ColorVu Gen 2 Turret Camera, 24/7 Colour with AcuSense, 4.0mm 95 deg Built in Mic, to replace my existing camera covering out the front. The two other existing camera are too high to be easily changed, so unfortunately they stay as they are.

As I look at these cameras though I'm more conscious of their limited coverage, so another two I'm hoping to pick up relatively inexpensively on FB marketplace.

Now this means that I've got more cameras the PoE ports on my switch, again, hoping to pick a second hand switch on FB marketplace - 16 port and rack mounted :)

When it comes to setting up Blue Iris - that will be for another day!

Eyes, ears and alarm all in one.

A good deterrent and minimal installation but can have expensive maintenance and upkeep cost.

PS: ... and damn alarm won't turn off 🐺 🐶

BPKAbPq.jpg

This pic was taken a while ago but they have slowed up lately. Can't blame them, it's finally turned hot here, bugger sitting on a nest right now 😆
Ours have slowed up too, with some of them going broody and staying in bed all day. Right when the weather's at its warmest. :facepalm: :banghead: Not much in the way of brains, but their eggs are the best...

CCTV system

OK, so I *may* have the tendency to start a project small and it grows ...

I started with an "overspec'ed" refurbished Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF i5 9500 3GHz, 16GB [upgraded] RAM, 256GB NVME SSD, DVD/RW, W11P and a larger 6TB Seagate Surveillance 3.5 HDD from FB Marketplace. Then I got the server cabinet to keep it all neat and secure ...

Of course I needed another camera for the garage so I got a Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-LU2 – 4MP Outdoor ColorVu Gen 2 Turret Camera, 24/7 Colour with AcuSense, 2.8mm 112 deg Built in Mic. Oh that colour is SWEET and a lot higher quality images than my existing camera out the front, especially at night ...

... so of course I've ordered a Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-LU4 – 4MP Outdoor ColorVu Gen 2 Turret Camera, 24/7 Colour with AcuSense, 4.0mm 95 deg Built in Mic, to replace my existing camera covering out the front. The two other existing camera are too high to be easily changed, so unfortunately they stay as they are.

As I look at these cameras though I'm more conscious of their limited coverage, so another two I'm hoping to pick up relatively inexpensively on FB marketplace.

Now this means that I've got more cameras the PoE ports on my switch, again, hoping to pick a second hand switch on FB marketplace - 16 port and rack mounted :)

When it comes to setting up Blue Iris - that will be for another day!

Why do people place an advert on FB Marketplace, then not respond to questions for 3 days and when they do respond indicate that they are going to be away for 4 weeks and will post the item on their return?

Anyway, the 16 port rack mounted switch is not happening, this TP-LINK TL-SG1008P 8-port POE Gigabit Switch will have to do the job.

The other FB Marketplace seller was much more responsive and I now have a Hi-look 4 MP Fixed Dome Network Camera and a Hi-look 4 MP Fixed Turret Network Camera coming my way. The dome will be under an eave and accessible so I wanted some degree of vandal resistance.

This will mean I end up with 7 cameras on the system. I could get a couple more to provide 'blanket' coverage but this will suffice :)

Like I said, projects tend to grow ...

Last edited:
Why do people place an advert on FB Marketplace, then not respond to questions for 3 days and when they do respond indicate that they are going to be away for 4 weeks and will post the item on their return?

Anyway, the 16 port rack mounted switch is not happening, this TP-LINK TL-SG1008P 8-port POE Gigabit Switch will have to do the job.

The other FB Marketplace seller was much more responsive and I now have a Hi-look 4 MP Fixed Dome Network Camera and a Hi-look 4 MP Fixed Turret Network Camera coming my way. The dome will be under an eave and accessible so I wanted some degree of vandal resistance.

This will mean I end up with 7 cameras on the system. I could get a couple more to provide 'blanket' coverage but this will suffice :)

Like I said, projects tend to grow ...
There's nothing technically wrong with daisy-chaining your switches, but if you have any spare ethernet ports available on your router, it's preferable to run a parallel cable, so providing a bit of redundancy. Of course, if anyone cuts the feed to/from your router, all bets are off. I hope you don't have it secured with password = "PASSWORD" or anything equally inane...

There's nothing technically wrong with daisy-chaining your switches, but if you have any spare ethernet ports available on your router, it's preferable to run a parallel cable, so providing a bit of redundancy. Of course, if anyone cuts the feed to/from your router, all bets are off. I hope you don't have it secured with password = "PASSWORD" or anything equally inane...
Spare ports on the router? No such joy!

Router is a Fritz!Box 7590 (4 Gigabit Lan), an 8 port Gigabit switch next to the 7590 feeding other connections across the house and wired to teminate in this central spot. I'll admit that they could be combined into a single device theoretically but I'm not sure there are any NBN FTTP routers with that many LAN ports?

At the end of those wired connections are:

a Fritz!Box 7530 in a mesh network upstairs to ensure good WiFi coverage,
a 5 port Gigabit PoE switch where the existing cameras terminated (they previously connected to the NVR which connected to the router)
an 8 port Gigabit PoE switch out in the garage where the server cabinet now lives and off which 4 IP cameras, a NAS and the Optiplex running Blue Iris will sit.

Getting more cables around the house - unlikely.

Getting more cables to the (separate) garage - expensive

The house was built about 2 years before FTTP came - I would cable it very differently now!

[and no, who would do THAT! 'admin' and '123456' are fine though - right?]

Just curious @Mark1966 - how often have you been burgled?

Arguably this is about deterrence so that doesn't happen :)

More seriously, the initial camera installation came about after a series of incidents involving ex-students of my wife egging and toilet roll bombing us. My wife and I were going overseas not long after and it was about a sense of security for the late teens/early 20s kids we left behind and my wife.

Now it is a mixture of the sense of security as my wife and I are traveling again and we only have one son left at home AND a bit of 'cause I can.

Last edited:
In that case, maybe you need a couple of remotely activated paintball guns trained on strategic areas... :unsure: :LOL:

Yeah, but in the People's Republic of Canberra that would get me locked up!