Homemade Blade Bank

TomG

Gentleman Shaver from WA ...
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Evening, Gentlemen.

Thanks to some very useful posts on this Sub-Forum, I pulled out the trusty Leatherman and knocked up a homemade Blade Bank using an empty DR Harris Shampoo jar.

DR%20Harris%20Blade%20Bank_zpsnjlnol94.jpg

DR%20Harris%20Blade%20Bank_zpsnjlnol94.jpg

... cartoon pirates on it and is branded with Darrell Lea ...

Hopefully no kids around to be attracted by that and investigate!

Nice work @TomG. I think I might have snobbish tendencies. I only buy "premium" DE blades that come in plastic boxes complete with used blade storage at the rear...
No room in the bathroom for blade storage containers... That's at least a couple of soaps right there!

Thanks for that info, @Sxot - I have Feather blades, and I can see a small recess at the base of the box. Is this for used blades as per your post?
Cheers.

Thanks for that info, @Sxot - I have Feather blades, and I can see a small recess at the base of the box. Is this for used blades as per your post?
Cheers.

Yes it is. Many, (all?) plastic blade boxes have an opening at the back for inserting used blades.

qzduT.jpg

Yes it is. Many, (all?) plastic blade boxes have an opening at the back for inserting used blades.

qzduT.jpg

I'm told you can at least fit 15 or 20 disposal DE blades at the back of the inserting very nicely as long as you keep saving the plastic blade boxes throughout you're shaves ;)

Last edited:
I'm told you can at least fit 15 or 20 disposal DE blades at the back of the inserting very nicely as long as you keep saving the plastic blade boxes throughout you're shaves ;)

Oh for sure. The boxes are made for supplying 10, so you can get at least 10 in there, but more usually. Handy for when using a blade from a cardboard box.

Oh for sure. The boxes are made for supplying 10, so you can get at least 10 in there, but more usually. Handy for when using a blade from a cardboard box.
There's a better reason to use a dedicated metal blade bank - recycling. Easier and simpler to recycle than plastic boxes with metal in them ending up as landfill.
You can store it in another room rather than a bathroom. I mean, very few of us can actually fit all our shave gear in the bathroom anyway...

The back of blade boxes fill up too quick. I've been buying the Feather blade banks from Menbiz. $8 and I only need to buy one every 8-10 months. They take a shitload of blades and take up no space, they're very small but just keep taking blades.

But the reject shop ones are a bit more fun in the bathroom. But they will take a long time to fill up. Get a small one. it'll probably last 3+ years...

The back of blade boxes fill up too quick. I've been buying the Feather blade banks from Menbiz. $8 and I only need to buy one every 8-10 months. They take a shitload of blades and take up no space, they're very small but just keep taking blades.

But the reject shop ones are a bit more fun in the bathroom. But they will take a long time to fill up. Get a small one. it'll probably last 3+ years...

I've got one that looks like an Aussie fifty dollar note! The good thing is my wife found it in the bathroom cupboard and thought she had stumbled across my cunning kick!!! :D