Honing your own straights - How to?

SchoolForAnts

2018 Charity Auction Winner
Artisan Producer
So after being bitten by the straight razor bug, (and bitten once or thrice by the razor itself) - I'd like to learn how to hone my own straight to keep it shave ready.

Would @Mark or any other knowledgeable member care to share links and/or articles they recommend for me to commence looking at to learn to do it myself?

I'm also interested in what stones to consider buying etc to get me started.

Cheers!

Mark

Ze Honemeisterer
Artisan Producer
This is a large topic. I have plently of resources but give me a little bit of time to put them together. This divides the topic into 2 groups. There are people that want to maintain their edges and keep them shaving sharp, then there are the hobbyists or enthusiasts that want to take it more seriously. Hones/stones are costly so we have another topic about budget vs needs and wants, this is where I'll be challenged so... I'll be back shortly with lots of info, how to's and resources, just need to work on arranging them in a good order so that everyone can benefit well from it ;)

Grey

Cheers Mark. I'd be keen to hear too. After some initial enthusiasm on my straight I've started to favour my shavette because it's so much easier to have a sharp blade. I'd like to learn a bit more to maintain my blade, especially with regards to selecting a solid set of stones, without going too exotic/expensive.

borked

Shave, collect B&M pokemon, vodka, sleep, repeat
Grand Society
Group Buy Associate
Da Menth Heads
2018 Charity Auction Winner
Interested too.

Might I humbly suggest viewing YouTube videos by gssixgun - watch all of them to get all the tips.
This is where I learned the art - he is straight down the line with no BS - FWIW.
BTW if you are anywhere near Ipswich, Qld I'd be happy to show you my methods and rocks
Hope this helps

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Might I humbly suggest viewing YouTube videos by gssixgun - watch all of them to get all the tips.
This is where I learned the art - he is straight down the line with no BS - FWIW.
BTW if you are anywhere near Ipswich, Qld I'd be happy to show you my methods and rocks
Hope this helps
No where near Ipswich but thanks for the offer on top of the tip. [emoji106]