Horror EBay experiences.

the_shaving_sailor

2018 Sabbatical
As I now dive deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole of vintage gear more and more I'm being ripped off, fucked around and lied to from sellers and buyers alike.

First off I always put tracking on items I sell so don't contact me the day you sign for and collect the parcel saying it never showed up. Especially when Aust post confirm you answered the door and signed for it. Dickhead.

And second half of rant!! Which has been happening a lot lately is ass holes claiming the item was sent and then telling me it was delievered to me but can't provide the tracking number..... how the fuck do you know it's been delievered if you don't have a tracking number!

Foot note eBay is awesome for finds but I'm getting over people finding a vintage razor ie; a beat up aluminium handle spiral tech and asking $120+ for it!!

Maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old man.

As I now dive deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole of vintage gear more and more I'm being ripped off, fucked around and lied to from sellers and buyers alike.

First off I always put tracking on items I sell so don't contact me the day you sign for and collect the parcel saying it never showed up. Especially when Aust post confirm you answered the door and signed for it. Dickhead.

And second half of rant!! Which has been happening a lot lately is ass holes claiming the item was sent and then telling me it was delievered to me but can't provide the tracking number..... how the fuck do you know it's been delievered if you don't have a tracking number!

Foot note eBay is awesome for finds but I'm getting over people finding a vintage razor ie; a beat up aluminium handle spiral tech and asking $120+ for it!!

Maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old man.

Hellooo Sailor! I don't know if you saw it, or if it's the one you referred to, but a French ebay seller was originally trying to flog a spiral tech for $180 and $24 postage and later listed it at the AMAZINGLY CHEAP PRICE of $162 plus $24 and urging buyers to "Hurry!!! 10% off!" Last week I bought two spiral techs on ebay for $15 delivered! Why? Because I could!

Last edited:
Then I too am a grumpy old man; my 3 daughters nicknamed me "Grumblebum" . Why? Because I too have experienced major issues with EVIL-Bay !!
"Richard Craniums", "Tea-leaves" and all-round half-wits.

I have only had 1 tool send a str8 that for some trick of photography looked like a great condition Bismark, only to receive a Bismark with about a quarter of the toe missing straight to the heal as hone wear, lucky photos of actual as received were send and refund completed,
the biggest issues I have is with the Global Shipping thieves, 1 is the rip off prices and the other is the sticky fingers at the transfer stations, I have had 3 str8s get opened & not make it past the Kentucky sorting facility, unfortunately all were W&B's but 1 was a truly rare 7/8" plus "WR Crown" stamped with Thumb notch W&B with nearly no wear & great condition and I still have not seen another like it to date in nearly 3 years. so screw Global shipping if you insist on using it you are off my search list.

I have only had 1 tool send a str8 that for some trick of photography looked like a great condition Bismark, only to receive a Bismark with about a quarter of the toe missing straight to the heal as hone wear, lucky photos of actual as received were send and refund completed,
the biggest issues I have is with the Global Shipping thieves, 1 is the rip off prices and the other is the sticky fingers at the transfer stations, I have had 3 str8s get opened & not make it past the Kentucky sorting facility, unfortunately all were W&B's but 1 was a truly rare 7/8" plus "WR Crown" stamped with Thumb notch W&B with nearly no wear & great condition and I still have not seen another like it to date in nearly 3 years. so screw Global shipping if you insist on using it you are off my search list.
Mate I hate eBay global shipping I refuse to buy it if they refuse to use UPS or even USPS I always contact and ask

I've been incredibly lucky, it seems. So far I haven't been ripped off with shave gear and buying BST here at P&C is a dream. "Their dreamin'" prices don't worry me. Everyone's entitled to set their own price and it's my job to ensure I don't overpay.

I'm a bit nervous about trying the FB BST groups because there's not even a rating system for buyers. I've heard @Cris mention that there are some rogues from the US. Speaking of which... if you have any modern SE razors you want to off-load please hit me up!

Please don't mistake the Ebay Global shipping BS with prices quoted by sellers.

Your item is sent to an US address by the seller - they often don't even know their package goes overseas. Ebay then ships it on to you - similar to other mail forwarders, just 3-4 times more expensive. They also often remove "excess" packaging, to make even more money - and your item most definitely gets damaged in the process...

I have seen records being shipped in paper envelopes for example...

*Takes a deep breath as he pulls up one mighty large soap box*

I will spare you all, yet asserting I'm lying as I signed for something when I'm at work, or unable to produce a signature is just the tip of the iceberg for me.
I now have a dedicated safedrop location, chosen by the local parcels area rep... and still experience issues!

I've been incredibly lucky, it seems. So far I haven't been ripped off with shave gear and buying BST here at P&C is a dream. "Their dreamin'" prices don't worry me. Everyone's entitled to set their own price and it's my job to ensure I don't overpay.

I'm a bit nervous about trying the FB BST groups because there's not even a rating system for buyers. I've heard @Cris mention that there are some rogues from the US. Speaking of which... if you have any modern SE razors you want to off-load please hit me up!
Hey bud I just piffed one to @Spencer Frankel im sure if it doesn't work out for him he would be happy to sort summin out. Was a razorock hawk, nothing flash I just prefer de.

*Takes a deep breath as he pulls up one mighty large soap box*

I will spare you all, yet asserting I'm lying as I signed for something when I'm at work, or unable to produce a signature is just the tip of the iceberg for me.
I now have a dedicated safedrop location, chosen by the local parcels area rep... and still experience issues!

I have security cameras at home - I can PROVE that nobody left a package. It still doesn't result in sensible outcome.

I just counted my outstanding (not meaning wonderful, but not arrived yet!) ebay purchases and found of the thirteen outstanding items, four are overdue, one of which was paid for on April 4. Another, my second Futur clone (the first came from Maggards in 11-12 days, this one is already 4 days overdue.) is still to arrive. The other two are both only 3 days overdue. I will wait until Friday before taking any action on any of them because it might be Auspost's fault and not the sellers.

Just arrived on my desk, two gillettes in their plastic cases. Shipper used an old whiskey bottle box that was just made of thin cardboard and the items wrapped in a layer of local American newspaper and then wedged in the box. So obviously we now have two irreplaceable broken razor cases. Want to yell at the school of stupidity but that is was Ebay's resolution centre is for.

Just arrived on my desk, two gillettes in their plastic cases. Shipper used an old whiskey bottle box that was just made of thin cardboard and the items wrapped in a layer of local American newspaper and then wedged in the box. So obviously we now have two irreplaceable broken razor cases. Want to yell at the school of stupidity but that is was Ebay's resolution centre is for.

Mate my slim adjustable had the exact same thing one layer of newspaper in a paper thin box

... we now have two irreplaceable broken razor cases. ...

Does that matter?

They have just done their job of protecting the razor you brought, what is the big deal?

Yes, I've had those responses or something similar.

At the end I was very specific in my instructions post purchase on packing and postage. While eBay will refund the money they cannot replace the case