Horse Hair Brush - what ya got?

Sxot

Artisan Producer
Do you have a horse brush?
Tell me about it.

I read they were the goto before a rise in Anthrax turned people off and Boar took its place.

I wouldn't think about it if I we're you ;) and please don't ask it's a very long story and it a major skin rash nightmare for a month :mad::mad::mad: not me it's my poor brother.

I have a Vie Long Blond and so far it is good. They get better after 30 - 60 shaves and are between a Boar and a Badger.
My favourite - Boar !!

@SpeedyPC did they identify that the rash was actually the brush and did they say why?

@bald as no the doctor told my brother to get rid of the brush and it has been a know problem for many years and he went and bought the horse hair shaving brush without doing enough research, when he got the brush he always clean the brush and when he started shaving and WHAM! a major skin rash the next day. He was using Tabac Soap for nearly 2 months and he was using a boar brush without any issue before he got the bad brush, any way it a long story his face when red like a major sunburn not good he growing a beard and he bloody hate it like hell.

I feel sorry for him he's really pissed he always face lather :(:oops:

Last edited:
He could possibly try a synthetic?

@bald as when the rash goes away after another 3 weeks I hope and he can try and used the RazoRock Plissoft Monster because he got a big head, I've bought this brush for him and this should be very safe as I've already own a RazoRock Plissoft 24mm knot ;) ..............I'm crossing my bloody fingers for this :oops:

Last edited:
It is interesting what will irritate on person and have no issues with someone else.

A horse badger mix is nice.
Vie Long being the only manufacturer/supplier isn't!

Fantastic brush and highly recommended - I call it the poor man's Chubby...

brocha-de-afeitar-caballo-fan-shape-epsilon-26mm.jpg

@Mark1966 I don't think the Chinese brush maker has either brushes or knots in combo Horse/Badger. I only looked for Horse but there may be someone else doing a combo. From what I have heard from @alfredus concerning his brush and the experience I have with my Vie Long brush, they are top shelf. Mine has taken a bit of time to break in but cycling it through hand lathering and outside drying under shade in the Adelaide heat is doing the trick.

Edit: I should add I doubt the eBay knot will in anyway equate to a Vie Long knot. I'm sure it will be fine though.