How to deal with loud announcements on aircraft...

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
OK brains trust ...

I know that P&C contains the wisdom of the universe so here goes with another question.

The scenario is that I'm sitting on a plane (again) with my noise isolating earbuds in watching a movie with the volume turned right down as that is all I need and I'm starting to doze off ...

'LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THIS IS THE FIRST OFFICER SPEAKING TO YOU FROM THE FLIGHT DECK...'

Movie interrupted by announcement. Volume in my ears has gone from a relative 1 to a 9.5 in less than a nanosecond.

I'm now fully attentive, adrenaline coursing through my system, fight or flight (LOL) mode fully activated - all at the price of my hearing as I'm now deaf in both ears and I'm sure that there is a faint trickle of blood I can feel from that perforated eardrum running down my neck.

Obviously they want the announcements to get attention but in this high tech world is there anything I can put in the line between the aircraft headphone jack and my ears to automatically stop that huge jump in volume?

I've seen a couple of products with a manual in-line volume control but by the time you found it the damage would be done.

Any audiophiles out there with a solution?

Thanks

Although I'm not a complete audiophile (based on my collection of headphones and headphone amps my family of course will vehemently disagree) I doubt there is something that will override the annoying and intrusive cabin calls. Not sure why they do it. Do people somehow feel comforted by the idea that there is a living, breathing and sometimes endlessly talking flightcrew in charge? Beats me. It's particularly painful on long haul flights when you just want to catch the last few minutes of a film before touchdown.

I don't know if there is an in line compressor or limiter you could buy that was battery powered. That my work. May is of course the operative word.

Definitely a brickwall limiter is what you want. Whether there is one in the form factor you seek is the big question.

Your own tablet with your own movie...

Definitely a brickwall limiter is what you want. Whether there is one in the form factor you seek is the big question.

Yes, peak limiter or brickwall limiter BUT as you indicate - doesn't seem to be available for this scenario.

I have found this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Ult...Attenuator-Adapter-UE-Earphones-/270871600966 - but it seems to just reduce overall volume (so you would still notice the sudden jump)

This sounds promising - http://www.limitear.com/technologies/consumers/ - but not in production yet it seems :(

Yeah and just sticky tape it over the screen in front of you. They'll be roughly the same size anyhow.
Blue Tack (y)

Blue Tack (y)

I think you mean gaffa tape -
engineering-flowchart-does-it-move-wd-40-duct-tape.jpg