Howdy from Melbourne

DrDalton

Evening all.

I started wet shaving, with a DE, in 2012 and moved onto using straights almost exclusively in 2013.

I have a modest collection of 20-ish user grade vintage straights from all around the world, with all sorts of grinds.

I hone my own razors and have even managed to make a couple, so that I have some metal to grind away at while I improve my honing (and don’t destroy irreplaceable vintage blades).

Welcome to Paste & Cut, @DrDalton . We have a few straight razor and honing enthusiasts within the clan.

Enjoy your stay (y)

Welcome, you've certainly come to the right place, a very helpful bunch around here. How did you find going from DE to straights?

Thanks for the welcome guys.

@saku39: it took a bit of getting used to. The blade is longer and less maneuverable. Angle control and pressure are critical to a good shave, and it’s hard to focus on those with 3 inch's of sharp steel in your hand at first.

Having a good understanding of prep and lather production made it easier and with a little bit of persistence (and a proper sharp razor) it eventually become natural

Welcome @DrDalton !

Another straight user which seems to be the trend!

@Mark knows all things straight razors and is a great resource. @stillshunter has a real crush [ boom-tish] on his Belguim coticules and would love to talk all about them if you ask [you don't want to buy a Belgian stone do you?] and many others here are regular straight users.

Strictly DE myself so no help whatsoever!

Welcome Doc

Great to have another straight enthusiast around. What's your favourite style of razor?

I like 1/4 ground for a bit more weight and quieter, and around 5/8 is pretty usable for me.

Welcome @DrDalton - I'm sure you will have a great time here!

Also strictly sharp blade buyer here - but what is your favorite brush and soap/cream?

@Nonick: I also prefer heavier grinds, I find the weight and lower noise comforting. My largest blade is 7/8ths and I find it a little wide to get under my nose and into the tighter spots on my neck.

5/8-6/8 is my sweet spot, I have a 5/8 near wedge fixed blade with a cooper wire wrapped handle that I made from an old file that sees regular duty due to its weight

I’ve been on a bit of a Japanese style bender recently, I keep gravitating back to one of my two asymmetric grind folding razors, the shorter blades (just on 2inchs) make for an easy shave in those awkward spots.

@alfredus: My only brush is a cheap no-name "Pure badger", its not the softest brush and I am thinking of upgrading in the near future, but it does the job for now.
As for soaps, I've tried a couple and will always have a puck (or two) of MWF and a dish or proraso green at hand.

Last edited:
Hey mate- welcome to P&C. It's always great having more straight shooters around.

My only brush is a cheap no-name "Pure badger", its not the softest brush and I am thinking of upgrading in the near future, but it does the job for now.
Welcome @DrDalton ,
Be careful what you say around these parts, plenty of people willing to spend your hard earned for you!(y);):D

Thanks for the welcome @bald as.

So far I’ve only been using the Norton 1/4/8K stones followed by 1micron and 0.3 micron lapping film and the finishing on pasted strops (formally 0.5 micron crox then MAAS polish), now a series of (0.5, 0.25, 0.125 micron) CBN emulsions.

I’ve just upgraded all my stones with naniwas. The Pro 1k, the Gouken Hayabusa 4K, the Gouken Fuji 8K and the 12K specialty stone.

I’ve lapped the 1K and set one bevel on it (it cuts fast and smooth and makes the Norton look like a house brick). The others will have to wait until I get some free time before they get any attention.