Howdy from Perth

Greenpike

Hey all

I've been wet shaving for about 3 months now and probably been lurking the forums that long.

My Conversion Story
------------------------
Sick of twenty something years of electric stubble and cartridge expense, I made the decision to convert to proper shaving this year. I purchased a Gold Ball-end Tech and Gillette Slim (K1) very early on... back when you could still pick them up on eBay for cheap! It took a while to start and I watched lots of daily shaves on YouTube to learn technique. After a week and a bit of the Tech + Feather, which I'd purchased to learn on, I "graduated" to the Slim on 9 + Shark Stainless.

My Slim is still my daily driver but I actually have a Fatboy, PAA Prismatic and 1930s New on their way. I feel the obsession growing... including starting to research cut-throats. In terms of soaps - I've recently moved on from Proraso Red and Green to ordering some TOBS, PAA and Razorrock. At the moment I'm using TOBS Jermyn Street due to PaulHFilms but Tuscan Oud arrived this morning so I'm going to crack that open after this post. I also have a TOBS Peppermint I enjoy... and a Wilkinson blue and Body Shop Macca Root I don't so much.

I have successfully converted my daughter (18) and working on my son (20). My brother will get a full kit for Xmas. I am a little nervous that the gift will bomb as he is very married to his $400 Braun electric monstrosities. But I've tried.

Glad to join the forums!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome @Greenpike You started off with some great kit. Which brush(es) do you use?
I started with a freebie I got with some Omega cream but lots of the youtubers recommended the Semogue 830 so I got that about a month and a half ago. Cost all of $25 delivered from Portugal. Love it.

Im thinking of trying some badgers and synthetics of course but haven't made the plunge yet.

G'day @Greenpike and welcome! I have in the last year converted (or is that enabled?) both my sons to the wonderful world of real wet shaving.
Good to see another West Aussie on the Forum.

Welcome mate. For the money, you really can't beat a synth, they're great! :) Some great badgers about, but certainly more luxury than functionality and worth is subjective.

Enjoy the ride!

Just finished my first Razorock Tuscan Oud shave. Wow! The rosemary makes it smells a bit like a big Catholic mass... but in a good way. Hahaha. Followed by my brand new Tiger Aftershave tonic for the first time... and I can still smell the soap through it despite rinsing my face thoroughly. Mmmm.

I scored both the Tiger and soap via Beard and Blade and I've also purchased my PAA Sancre de Draco and some Xmas presents through The Stray Whisker. Both online stores are great and deliver fast with express post to Perth but I was wondering if there's a local store here? I've been to the Mr Shaver in the Piccadilly Arcade CBD (stocks all the TOBS and Taylor's which is great) and the hilariously different Shaveshops around the burbs (not all the staff know much).

Welcome to P&C @Greenpike - I'm sure you will have a great time here (y)

Welcome @Greenpike !!
Sounds like you've started along the well-trodden path of many here before you...welcome (evil laugh)...muhahahahah:X3::X3::X3::X3:

Welcome @Greenpike
..... the Semogue 830 so I got that about a month and a half ago. Cost all of $25 delivered from Portugal. Love it.

I too love my Semogues; good brushes, good prices. The 830, I found best suited to bowl lathering and being a face latherer myself, I use my 620. A "local" vendor with a good selection of Semogues is

http://www.mancave.co.nz/products/shaving/shaving-brushes?Page=4&Items=12

We Sandgropers are holding a meet on Wednesday 28 Dec in Fremantle at 2PM. If interested, send me a PM (Conversation). There will be perhaps 5-6 in attendance.

Jim

Welcome mate!

Hi and welcome. No not really much in the way of Perth shops. Was a couple around the cbd but are closed now. Is a hairdresser next to woolies on St George's Tce has a couple bits and believe that there is a store in Joondalup that has some stuff but can't remember the name. That Piccadilly store doesn't have the greatest rep mainly due to the staff and pricing but does have a decent amount of tobs and a couple basics. If you need any help with straights give a shout and will help if I can.