HTPC Devotees?

Clearly HTPCs are not the thing around here.

I was expecting some enablers to tell me to upgrade, upgrade but it didn't happen :mad:

When you have a decent NAS, a recent TV with an Ethernet interface, and built-in ability to play MKV files then there is kind of no point to a HTPC.

Even the Kogan cheap-arse Tellys can have a hard disk (or a capacious USB key) plugged in and record/playback. The only issue is watching one show and recording another where a HTPC will shine. Also cool now that Steam has a 'Big Screen Mode'.

When you have a decent NAS, a recent TV with an Ethernet interface, and built-in ability to play MKV files then there is kind of no point to a HTPC.

Even the Kogan cheap-arse Tellys can have a hard disk (or a capacious USB key) plugged in and record/playback. The only issue is watching one show and recording another where a HTPC will shine. Also cool now that Steam has a 'Big Screen Mode'.

I wouldn't quite go that far.....if you've got a big media collection being able to show all the metadata in a dead sexy manner does enhance the experience a lot. Especially for your missus - I'm pretty good at memorising all the titles with what they are but she's no chance.

But even for me a pimped out XBMC with proper metadata loaded for all your movies, TV series etc is very impressive.

Other reasons:
  • audio files to your amp/avr with the flick of a button (all my files are flac)
  • dual tuner recording of TV programs with metadata capture (I know every telly seems to have a 'PVR' function these days but compared to a proper PVR its a poor imitation)
  • 3rd party filtering/scaling of material (if done properly you can really enhance a lot of the material especially if its SD quality through a HD set)

Oh and for a lot of folks the hardware will be tax deductable as well as the tax man will see a PC's hardware. There's a lot of other rationales too but these are the main ones for me - that said with improved TV capabilities etc I 100% agree there's less of a justification for the hassle of a dedicated HTPC so its a very valid point for 99% of folks. :)

I thought that just being able to use the file explorer / vlc (or your player of choice) would be fine until I tried xbmc. Now I am completely sold for its ease of use for Mrs Egg, and truth be told for me too.

As Nick said, xbmc will automatically download images and information about the episode or movie - I think it might also try for subtitles if you ask it to.

Mine does double up as my download box too, and sits there automagically grabbing any linux iso's I have asked it to so they are ready for me to watch... I mean install when I get home.

I'm a tad OCD(ok a lot!) and I don't trust 3rd party apps to do the metadata etc properly - I have this fear I'll let it run automatically and I'll come back and find its screwed everything up - which with several thousand files would be a titanic cluster fork.

I found a great free program called Media Centre Master - I use that. It also has a bunch of other functions (downloading of previews and other stuff) but I don't use that at all - but its very good at customising the metadata setup just the way one likes it.

... with improved TV capabilities etc I 100% agree there's less of a justification for the hassle of a dedicated HTPC so its a very valid point for 99% of folks. :)

Well we don't have a big media collection (apart from recorded FTA shows and DVD/Bluray discs) and while I do run the sound through my sound system (incredible for action movies!) pretty much the only reason I persist with a HTPC is the expectation from three kids they they can all watch or record all their shows!

I realise that this was created by me when i introduced the thing in the first place so it is my own silly fault. Building the thing with my daughter did create some good memories though - of course I'm the one expected to keep it going though!

Interestingly though as the kids are getting older they are watching less and less on the big screen with the sound. The preference seems to be for when they want it personal consumption of content on an individual device. I wonder whether the days of the BIG screen TV and sound system are fading to be replaced by a personal device with earbuds? Even now when they watch TV they tend to be on a device as well.

I tend to be the only person who bothers much with the full 5.1 surround sound experience and I'm not allowed to crank it up and enjoy it except when they are all out. Myself, my son and a Bourne movie while the wife and girls are out - sensational!

I wonder whether the days of the BIG screen TV and sound system are fading to be replaced by a personal device with earbuds? Even now when they watch TV they tend to be on a device as well.

I never have been into the big screen thing. I got my first lcd flatscreen tv last year, and that is a whopping 26".

Living in apartments as I have done for the last 5 years or so, I find anything over 32" to be overkill which takes over the room. Plus I couldn't justify the cost per pixel. If 50"+ screens are stil 1080p then the pixel size must be huge.

I never have been into the big screen thing. I got my first lcd flatscreen tv last year, and that is a whopping 26".

Living in apartments as I have done for the last 5 years or so, I find anything over 32" to be overkill which takes over the room. Plus I couldn't justify the cost per pixel. If 50"+ screens are stil 1080p then the pixel size must be huge.

Mine is a 46" Sony Bravia "W" series connected through a Yamaha YHT-692 Home theatre package. It is plenty for me and hoped to last until we downsize post kids (I wish!).

Comparatively it is small compared to many people I know at the time buying 50" as a minimum...

Mine is a 46" Sony Bravia "W" series connected through a Yamaha YHT-692 Home theatre package. It is plenty for me and hoped to last until we downsize post kids (I wish!).

Comparatively it is small compared to many people I know at the time buying 50" as a minimum...

I don't know why I bother, as most of the neighbours I have had don't seem to worry about it, but I am always conscious of the sound level you have to have to get full surround effect so have not gone down the amp route. If I had my own house with space between me and my neighbours I might consider it again.

We have a 32" mounted on the wall in the bedroom, and a 42" in the lounge room. I don't really think anything bigger is needed...though everyone I know that has a bigger screen says that once you go bigger you wouldn't look back.

I don't really care though.

42" is big enough for me. We run the sound via optical out to a Yamaha receiver, I've always used Yamaha and over 20 years I've only had to buy two, that's how long they last.

Mrs JugV2 isn't a fan of the 5.1 loudness but when she is out I tend to crank it.

HDMI output from the HTPC to the Yamaha receiver then on to the Bravia screen.

You can tell the difference in quality with the Blu-ray over the DVD but it is marginal IMHO.

Fortunately we only have neighbours on one side and a little bit of distance between us (along with a solid fence and hedge) and with the houses aligned so that our living space is on the side of their utility areas (kitchen, laundry, downstairs 'powder room') with only a laundry door on our side. So cranking it up is possible although never TOO loud :)

Mrs JugV2 isn't a fan of the 5.1 loudness but when she is out I tend to crank it.

I think everyone's missus is the same - absolute ditto here as well. You'd think they go to the library to watch their movies! SNeaky so & so when I get up to grab a drink etc she'll grab the remote and take it down a few notches....then put a big fancy smile on like,"What???? I didn't do anything!"

100% agree when they're out - put Saving Private Ryan on or the bank robbery scene from HEAT and crank it.

The bank robbery scene from Heat is one of the reasons I changed to blu ray. It's amazing.
The Kingdom is another good one for loud listening.

100% agree when they're out - put Saving Private Ryan on or the bank robbery scene from HEAT and crank it.

Actually one of the best scenes for this sort of thing is the artillery bombardment in the forest during the Battle of the Bulge episodes on Band of Brothers.

I used it once in a presentation on leadership in the midst of chaos and confusion. I made sure that I got in REALLY early before anybody but the tech guys were there setting up. You should have seen the look on their faces when we cued it up and I told them to crank up the volume.

You have to imagine for a moment the typical conference venue, darkened hotel ballroom. Part way into the presentation I make a point then the lights drop, the scene plays on the two huge screens at the front and the room vibrates as the sound echos around the room.

Needless to say my point was made.

The sound guys afterwards had grins from ear to ear and they reckoned it was the best fun they have had for ages.

I didn't get any laundry bills but I was a little concerned for a while ...

Feeling a little geeky tonight in the fact that I got XBMC for Android running on my LG Nexus 4, streaming video from the htpc.

It's pointless really until I get a tablet of some form, but it did give me a sense of accomplishment to get it running. If the nexus phones allowed sdcards it could have been a lot more handy for public transport or travelling.

Ah thats pretty good Egg.

I'm going to do a new rebuild of my HTPC over the next few weeks.....won't do anything spesh - just low end stuff as it's a dedicated HTPC unit. Win7 for FTA TV and XBMC for all those linux distros. ;-)

Ah thats pretty good Egg.

I'm going to do a new rebuild of my HTPC over the next few weeks.....won't do anything spesh - just low end stuff as it's a dedicated HTPC unit. Win7 for FTA TV and XBMC for all those linux distros. ;-)

I recommend sabnzbd+, sickbeard, and couchpotato for all the extra news you are going to want to read, especially if you have free access like I do.

I recommend sabnzbd+, sickbeard, and couchpotato for all the extra news you are going to want to read, especially if you have free access like I do.

I have these on my N40L and they work brilliantly. Headphones is good too, if you want something similar for music.