Hypothetical: Which shaving product IF discontinued would make you pay big$$$/horde?

Nick the Knife

Krill Enabler
Grand Society
Gents,

Everyone is prolly familiar with a shaving product that was suddenly discontinued and then found that demand for it went through the roof along with the going price!!! Some of these products also seemed to take on almost mythical qualities in their respective fields (e.g sharpest blade ever, best lather ever etc)....which for some of them might be questionable ......

But my question is which current production shaving product IF it was suddenly discontinued would make you either:

• immediately begin hording significant amounts of it (out of curiousity - please also designate how much of it would you think you'd buy to see you through the dark future?)

OR​

• Be prepared to pay A LOT MORE for the limited amounts of it available AFTER it's discontinued - now that EVERYONE has jumped on it's mythical product bandwagon!!!

Personally, I think that plain old La Toja shave sticks would be the one that jumps out at me. I'd prolly try and buy atleast a dozen or so of them in such a dire situation - haha just with this mentality in mind I bought 4 of them a few minutes ago from G&C (along with a few of those Austrian 'Haslinger' shaving soaps).

Love to hear what product's demise would make others buy up big or pay big $$$ for to get that must have item.

:)

None. There's plenty of good stuff out there. I look back and read those YKW reviews on stuff, and just laugh at the wankers.

The discontinuation myths are only created by the big forums, where people's sheepleness are fully evident.

I laughed at the nob who went and bought 20 pucks of Cade (mind you, he was probably looking to offload them at 2x the price). A myth started by one person who went into a store and was told by a sales assistant that it wasn't available anymore. Even emails from the manufacturer denying it, couldn't sway the fkwits.

Laphroiag = qualifies as a shaving product as a good nip helps steady the hand and a little dab (if you want to waste it) sanitises any little cuts or scratches. How much? How big is my storage room.

Although I agree with the sentiment (forcefully) expressed by Drubbing, I have to admit to paying loads for vintage blades so I'm guilty of the second scenario. Hording up on a product because it's being discontinued is not something I'd do. Did buy a stick of Irish Moos in response to it's impending demise. Just to try it out really. I would be sad if Tabac soap or cream became extinct. Have got half a dozen soaps and three or four creams happening and would be happy with any one of them.

I got a freebie tube of Proraso sandalwood last year and havent cracked the cardboard yet, half of the other tube is still going. With 6 soaps on the go and a few creams, I've got my hands full getting through any of it. There's a few things I wouldn't bother getting again, but they're still good enough to use up.

TOBS Jermyn St Cream
Voskhod Blades - I think they have been discontinued already and I have over 300 of the fuckers.

Those are the only two for me. In all honesty, I would get over it if they disappeared instantly but in the spirit of this thread, and regardless of anything YKW rabbits on about, the two items above are the only two things I would truly miss.

As Drubbenstein says, "The discontinuation myths are only created by the big forums, where people's sheepleness are fully evident. "

P160 Soap, and Gillette Bleue Extra DE Blades. Oh, wait. :laugh:

If Proraso ever was discontinued, I'd buy up. A case of Green and a case of Red - bowl or tube, doesn't matter. Probably also agree with the TOBS Jermyn. Again, I'd need a case of it.

200-odd years of blades require some serious amounts of lather.

In the same vein as RM I've been worried about vintage Gillettes being discontinued.

So I have a few stashed away.

Other stuff, yes I've got P.160, some SIM, some vintage blades but nothing too dramatic :D

What current stuff would cause me to horde? Probably Proraso - although there would surely be enough in stock around the world at any one time to last current users a couple of lifetimes I'd suspect.

Laphroiag = qualifies as a shaving product as a good nip helps steady the hand and a little dab (if you want to waste it) sanitises any little cuts or scratches. How much? How big is my storage room.

Ever since I visited the Laphraoig distillery in 1997 and they were actively excited about some boffins from Heriot-Watt Uni (commonly known as "Hairy tw@t") who were there trying to recreate the Laphraoig spirit (before ageing for 3 years it can't be called whisky) from a continuous process (like grain whisky, not the traditional product) I have personally foresworn it and moved next door but one to Ardbeg... Which in my glass is a better tipple anyway (the 1974 is amazing if you can get someone else to buy a bottle :) ), Lagavulin at a push... Or Bruichladdich... Or Caol Ila... Or Bunnahabhainn... Or Springbank....

I am guilty of stashing a few blades, I think I only have 10 years or so and I have had a shave with a modern blade that has potential to be a replacement, I'm keeping quiet until I have a couple more shaves, confirm they are good and hoard up a few gazillion. Oh, thats the point of the thread isn't it.

Modern products well I'm with Drubbing there are plenty of products out there that are good-great, I really like Cade, Jermyn St and Prorarso white. But there are probably 100's if not 1000's of products I haven't tried so finding an alternative is an option. Failing that I would make my own and replace the mythical product and make a $1M.

I am guilty of stashing a few blades, I think I only have 10 years or so and I have had a shave with a modern blade that has potential to be a replacement, I'm keeping quiet until I have a couple more shaves, confirm they are good and hoard up a few gazillion. Oh, thats the point of the thread isn't it.

Will be interested to see which blade you think is equivalent to a nice vintage one.

I'd probably stash a few bowls of TOBS Jermyn, and maybe get a few hundred each of the Personna 'Lab' Blue and blue Astra SS blades.

I don't think I'd pay big bucks for any kind of 'software'. Certainly not before trying MWF/Tabac/Cade/etc.

I've still never tried the TOBS Jermyn (only ever tried TOBS Sandalwood cream and that just the once as I have decided sandalwood isn't a Darwin smell) - I should make an effort to give it a go.

... I have had a shave with a modern blade that has potential to be a replacement, I'm keeping quiet until I have a couple more shaves, confirm they are good and hoard up a few gazillion.

I had another shave with this mystery blade today, second shave on the balde and I hadn't shaved in 6 days and it was a lovely smooth shave, very close cut even with a below par lather from Proraso white, I am keen to see how I pull up tomorrow as second bay beard rash has been a bit of a curse of late.

Interestingly, a seach for the blade in question has returned some mixed reviews, a well known collector close to this site suggested they weren't any good, other forums rate them quite well.

I lpan to keep quiet for a few more shaves to build the suspense, as I only shave twice a week at most you will all have to be patient.

Interestingly, a seach for the blade in question has returned some mixed reviews, a well known collector close to this site suggested they weren't any good, other forums rate them quite well.

So that
well known collector close to this site suggested they weren't any good
would be me and the blades in question are SuperMax Super Platinums, a horrible blade only good for scraping shop windows with. I have enough and happy to offload them onto an unsuspecting victim a valued P&C Member.

I see you when you are sleeping, I know when you're awake etc etc.

Or would the collector be Mark, with his apathetic attitude towards Voskhods?

.........SuperMax Super Platinums, a horrible blade only good for scraping shop windows with. I have enough and happy to offload them onto an unsuspecting victim a valued P&C Member.........

Charming! And I get labeled an uncultured phillistine! I've got one of those Supermax Super Platinums and a Super Stainless one too. Admittedly they're meant to be worst blade in the world candidates but you never know. I'll load'm up at the next opportunity.

dont think there is anything i would pay a price premium for. i will however buy up if they are being discontinued and sold cheaply.