iKon Shavecraft #102 slant razor

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
It might be a little premature to write this post after a single shave, but I thought I may as well write my initial impressions and start a new thread on this razor. It would be great if more people bought this razor and posted their thoughts here as well.

#102 head on a Weber Bulldog handle
Vs1Q0MV.png

iKon make two slant razors: the iKon Slant (with or without a DLC coating on then head) and the newer Shavecraft #102. Being a three piece design, it's possible to only buy the head and use another handle with it. (This is what I did.)

The #102 head is matte finished aluminium but doesn't feel too light at all. I have paired it with the Weber Bulldog handle (although iKon usually sell it with a shorter handle).

Close up of the slant head
XJTs97y.png

Underneath the head
OlKglXT.png

The #102 was a surprise in many ways. It's an unusual design with the head slanted on a gentle angle. There is no overhang on the sides of the blade like there usually is. There is very little blade gap (so it fills with used lather quickly).

Showing the blade gap
tgc644C.png

End of the head and blade gap again
FhE6zih.png

That said, it was efficient and yet felt very smooth and comfortable. I felt that I could go nuts and it wouldn't be a problem. I did 3 passes but it was good after the first, almost all gone with the second and the third was simply tidying up. I find slants to be so efficient that there is sometimes post-shave irritation, especially on my neck. There didn't seem to be that much this time, just a little on the Adam's Apple region that settled down after applying the Antesol.

Comparison with the Merkur 37c slant
Z2X25P8.png

The big question is: how does it compare with other slants, especially the Merkur 37c?

I haven't tried the Razorock Stealth Slant or iKon Slant so I can't compare those. But I do have the 37c (the short handled 2 piece slant by Merkur).

Showing the twist (and blade gap!) of the 37c compared to the slanted head of the #102
56DIFDc.png

As the photos show, the shape of the #102 is quite interesting as it's different from the usually twisted slant razors. The 37c is like a twisted closed comb razor (like a 34c) which generates slanted angle. But this means the razor blade is twisted and there is an aggressive blade gap. The blade gap also varies across the face of the razor.

But the #102 is a very different design. The blade is not twisted but is merely "angled" to give the slant. It does this by angling but also tapering the entire head. The head itself is thicker at one end and thins to the other end. Being "slanted" in this manner means it is a different angle each side (asymmetric) compared to the 37c which is same (symmetrical).

I've only shaved once, but what I have noticed is that it's more comfortable than the 37c. With the Merkur slant, you need to be mindful of the varied and large blade gap. So you need a very light touch. But the #102 has a small blade gap and so doesn't require the same care. It was different to shave with as the angled head feels strange. But it doesn't take much to get used to.

I'll keep reporting back every so often to let you know how it's going.

How prone to clogging is it ?

How prone to clogging is it ?
I don't even notice really. I just shaved as per usual. I did use hot water in the sink so that probably helped. It also could have just pushed it out through the bottom.

Great write up. I look forward to hearing your experience after a couple more shaves.

This razor is on my wish list

Nice write up and review Filo (as ALWAYS!)

The interesting difference between this and the Merkur 37c IMHO is that due to the slight twisting that the Merkur places on the blade it 'torques' the blade - what I mean by this is that it induces additional stiffness into it (save the jokes!). Now I don't want to sound like I'm from YKW but I was reading an article about the history of slant razors and whether they have any benefits (which it was adamant they did!) and this was IIRC one of the real benefits that a slant razor had over a normal one, via the blade twisting/torqueing

It's interesting to me that so many people doubt the benefits of slants. Often you'll hear it said that it's just a trick/hype and they have no real benefit. But here's a very simple experiment that occurred to me the other day to relate directly and very clearly as to the advantage that a slant has over a normal razor.

Next you're chopping up some veges for dinner, especially something like a carrot etc - take your knife and chop DIRECTLY DOWN SQUARELY with the carrot. Note the resistance felt and effort exerted etc - thats a normal razor striking a hair's shaft flush straight across.

To replicate a slant take your knife and keeping other variables equal (same thickness section of carrot, same section of knife) lever/angle your cut downwards from tip to heel of the blade so that it hits it at an angle - the tip section entering the carrot first and the further up section towards the heel thus entering the already established cut.

The latter should be a LOT easier - and understandably it is closer aligned with the proper cutting technique for a carrot e.g an angled blade, tip to heel, levered cut. Well thats the same cutting angle etc that the slant has.

Now all that said I agree 100% that a lot of people will find a slant is too aggressive etc for their skin - and as such they'll get poor shaves from it - but as I've long said for a 1 pass shave it's very hard to beat.

I think it was nickshaves posted a video comparing this to the 37c. Basically it was a much less aggressive razor like a de89 version of a slant.

I too would like to get one at some point this year.

I think it was nickshaves posted a video comparing this to the 37c. Basically it was a much less aggressive razor like a de89 version of a slant.
I haven't seen Nick do a comparison video. He has talked about both razors, but not a direct shave comparison to my knowledge. He is a big fan of the Merkur 37c (his favourite razor of 2014) but he's been wowed recently by the #102 since he got it at the end of 2014. He's also keen to try the RRSS.

What do you mean by "aggressive"? I don't use that word (as per LeisureGuy) because it's not a useful descriptor. You're better off talking about comfort and efficiency.
The Merkur 37c is lower in comfort than most razors, but high in efficiency. I would say the #102 is high in comfort and mid-efficiency. Perhaps less than the R41 and 37c, but like an OC and more than any closed comb.
Usually a low efficiency razor such as 34c or de89 or Tech will be high in comfort. That's why it's often recommended to start with a high comfort-low efficiency razor and then move across the spectrum as your technique improves.
Of course "efficiency" is not easily measured and comes about through factors such as blade gap, blade exposure and general design of the razor head.

I used the #102 to shave after 3 & 1/2 days growth. The first pass easily produced a work-place acceptable shave. It really is as efficient as the 37c but far more comfortable (to me).

I used the #102 to shave after 3 & 1/2 days growth. The first pass easily produced a work-place acceptable shave. It really is as efficient as the 37c but far more comfortable (to me).
Niiiiice, so 37c to BST?

Here is NickShaves review of the Shavecraft #102 after using it for a few months.

It's replaced his most used razor of 2014 - the Merkur 37c slant.

Last edited:
Oh that's just great....noting my new found love for sharp blade/mild razor, I want one!

Resurrecting an old thread in the hopes some more have tried and have thoughts on the 102.

I've been using my 39c but finding the gap and comfort leaving a little to be desired. I do like the efficiency of the 39c, however think something with a smaller gap and more comfort would suite me better. Very seriously considering the iKon #102 after some research and wanted to ask the fine people around this forum what their thoughts on the 102 vs. 37/39c?

I have one in the mail at the moment! Also have the Shavecraft 101 coming as I was curious about it as well. I am getting both an OSS and bamboo handle. I will be sure to share my thoughts on the razor when I get it and try it out. Also just noticed that Ikon appear to have stock of these at the moment.....

I absolutely love my #102.

It is the most comfortable razor I have on a day to day basis.
Although I've never tried the 37/39C I have tried the razorrock stealth slant and the weight and sturdiness of the Ikon won out for me.

I'm very tempted to get one. During the shaver hut sale, was contemplating if I should get the 102 or the B1 slant head only. I have the OSS so just needed the head. Unfortunately the 102 doesn't have head only option, unless I get it else where. The B1 definitely is efficient, but I'm still learning my way as round it. Having hard time cleaning up my chin, and yet afraid that I'll hack my face off. Will perhaps post a thread about the b1 slant.

The 102 is an excellent razor! I think I am leaning towards the Bamboo razor being a bit better for me than the OSS handle as well.

The OSS surprisingly came with a bulldog handle. Was good but I'm curious about the bamboo handle. I reckon OSS handle would be too long for me.