I'm back - recommend me a new synth

Adam

Hi all. I'm back! Just logged on for the first time in 7-8 months according to z missed message.

I have been in a bit of a routine of late - merkur 37c and Plisson synthetic brush pretty much every day for the past few months. Until .... the brush base broke. Now the fix is relatively easy but I think it's time for something new.
I have plenty of boars and badgers but what's new in the synth game ATM?

$10 usd brush from Maggards or Italian Barber. I haven't used Con's synthetics which look like ubersoft knot rather than the plissoft.

The Stray Whisker synths can't do you wrong, they look like they're using Plisson fibers, but with improved density.
Personally I'm a fan of the Muhle/EJ STF2 23mm (which you happen to be able to get rebranded from Aesop right here in Aus). It's not quite as soft, but has great backbone, doesn't splay too much and has incredible flow through (which could be a bad thing because it tends to fling blobs of lather allover if you're not careful). I find it a perfect face latherer. Other synths aren't quite so readily available down under.

EDIT: Korbz seems to be right, TSW synths do look more like an Ubersoft, so I can't really comment on them though I do hear that they are very good.

Last edited:
+1 for whipped dog, my 24mm is my daily driver.

I've tried the maggards 24mm and didn't really like it. The stray whisker 28mm (which I do have up for trade atm), which I like better than the maggards, but not at much as the whipped dog. The stray whisker brush is huge and makes great lather, it's just a bit scritchy for my liking.

A 30mm whipped dog, maybe something with a tuxedo or a game changer or even a muhle are on my list of synths to try in the future.

EDIT: I've also got an omega s brush, but in my estimation it's the worst of the lot. Makes decent lather, but the knot is small, the fibres aren't that soft and the splay is weird.

Options o plenty.
I have always wanted a whipped dog so I might give that a try. What's the razorock like speedy?

Options o plenty.
I have always wanted a whipped dog so I might give that a try. What's the razorock like speedy?

I found the whipped dog more springy than the razorock. Both have ridiculously soft tips, but the whipped dog is set at a lower loft giving more backbone. If you like splay, go the razorock. If you like backbone, go the whipped dog.

Options o plenty.
The RazoRock uses the same plisson fibers that your cracked plisson uses, but it's got much more density, a bigger knot (24mm instead of 22mm) and with these two combined you have a better backbone.
As someone that's been loving the smaller 23mm muhle knot (much like your plisson's size) I find the 24mm razorock to be huge.

Wolf Whiskers. I have both the Black Wolf and Ubersoft. Both knots are excellent - very soft with decent backbone.

There is a waitlist - published times and not hard to get on. Custom made. Nice selection of handle shapes, colors, and knots. Worth the "wait". Reasonable prices. My recent purchase: Pi Day handle. 25mm Black Wolf Bulb, 51-52 mm loft, RCE #22 horizontal colors
pP8n0UO.jpg

Last edited:
Options o plenty.

@Adam the RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic has very soft tip and strong backbone its doesn't splay to wide too soon when applying to you're face, the 57mm loft length is a little too floppy for me when I face lather so the length of this loft should go to bowl lather in my experience. You can face lather with this brush without any issue at all with hard soap or cream soap pretty quick is just a little too floppy for me, any way watch ShaveBuster and he has used the RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic so what carefully on the brush so you can get an idea of the size of this brush when he is holding the brush. So if you're interested please PM me ;)

Last edited:
I've a few synths for trade or maybe sale.

An Edwin Jagger
A Simpsons Classic 1
Maybe a Plisson
I've a sneaking feeling I've also another one that escapes my memory.

Which EJ? The black or the silver tip?
Hmm will have to dig to se if I can find the pics here, either that or wait until I get home and check it out in person.
If it helps, its the one exclusively made for the shaver shop.