Isopropyl Alcohol

Arnold J Rimmer

2017 Sabbatical Fail
Artisan Producer
I have been doing a bit of reading on the subject, and it is all pretty straight forward, in that isopropyl alcohol is a very effective bactericide.

The reason for the new thread is because Wikipedia states that alcohol is technically a sanitiser, not a steriliser. It doesn't kill bacterial spores.

My question is, what is the likelihood of copping a bacterial spore off of a straight razor? What would the effect of copping a spore be, on the average shaver's nut?

Any boffins amongst the rabble?

Very unlikely. The organisms normally present on a razor would be skin flora e.g. staph and strep bacteria. These are easily killed through decent soap and water washing and also through extended contact with alcohol and other chemical disinfectants such as bleach and gluteraldehyde (but these will damage the razor)! The bacteria are quite fragile and do not tolerate dry conditions (e.g. on a razor stored in a drawer for years). Unless someone has somehow contaminated the razor with unusual organisms (e.g. tuberculosis) , then normal cleaning measures will disinfect the razor. It will never be "sterilised" i.e. zero microorganisms, suitable for use in a surgical procedure, but it doesn't have to be.
I just give all my secondhand razors a good soak in dishwashing detergent, good scrub with toothbrush and rinse well and let dry. Its important to rinse all the "Barbicide" or other solutions off if you use these as they can irritate the skin in some people. Straight razors have even less places for bacteria to lodge, compared to a vintage TTO razor with multiple moving parts etc.
Hope that helps.:doctor:

Bacteria is everywhere - in the air, the garden and on your own skin already. It's an essential part of healthy skin. To sanitise equipment from others I just use metho but I know that's just being OCD.

My "no splash, no balm" experiment is well over a month old, with just a re-lather and a cold rinse after shaving. My skin has never felt better...

I always wonder about those cheaper Chinese badger knots and the potential for Mycobacterium bovis bacterium vectors if the knots are not sterilised :p
Thats quite true - the Chinese quality control process often leaves a little bit to be desired.
I guess you get what you pay for :greedy:

I only sterilize all my Str8s & DE's with Barbicide it is cheap & proven to work.
all ready to go Str8's get a does before I use them the first time, but only if I have not done any work on them, since any polishing or restoration work on the steel cleans anything off anyway.
and all get dosed before being sent out to others regardless as a precaution

Yeah, I've read elsewhere that isopropyl alcohol is very effective. I've also used barbisol - it seems to be the gold standard here in the USA . One word of caution: I bought a brush at a flea market last year and soaked it in barbisol for a half hour. Pretty sure nothing survived, but it turned the badger tips blue. No physical damage, but it took a couple of shaves for the color to disappear.