I've got a Slim on the way, any tips?

JayDee

So... after 6 shaves with a Weishi (dipped my toe in the DE waters to see if I like it, which I obviously do!), I've been infected by RAD. I picked up a Slim on fleabay yesterday from a local seller so I should have it in the next few days. I've also ordered a heap of samples (more Astras, IP, Reds and Shark plus a couple of others). I managed my first BBS this morning. It took 3 1/2 passes with the mega mild Weishi but I was really pleased with the lather I got and I'm getting the hang of getting the angle right which is a bit of a trick for a noob, especially backhand looking at a reversed (mirror) image :confused:

Anyhoo.. I'm guessing that the Weishi is probably the equivalent of 0 or 1 on a Slim? I reckon I could go a tad more aggressive -would about 3 be a good starting point or should I just start and 0 and work my way up to the sweet spot? I'm guessing that the other alternative -starting at 9 and working my way down would not be advisable! :eek:mg:

Last edited:
First, find a blade you like and stick with that for a while - don't change too many things at once.

Second, try the Slim on 3 during normal shave days

Third, on a day when you have more time and the result doesn't matter dial it up and try 7 or so to get a sense of the difference.

Fourth, have fun!

First, find a blade you like and stick with that for a while - don't change too many things at once.
OK, only tried the Astra SP but like it so far - check

Second, try the Slim on 3 during normal shave days
Will do

Third, on a day when you have more time and the result doesn't matter dial it up and try 7 or so to get a sense of the difference.
With Band Aids next to the shaving mug? :p

Fourth, have fun!
Will do!

Forgive me telling you something you prolly already know but make sure you open or atleast loosen the 'doors' before changing the setting. You can do it without doing this but the overwhelming opinion tends to be that this can cause issues. Personally I like 6/5 then 3. Great razor, good choice.

Forgive me telling you something you prolly already know but make sure you open or atleast loosen the 'doors' before changing the setting. You can do it without doing this but the overwhelming opinion tends to be that this can cause issues. Personally I like 6/5 then 3. Great razor, good choice.

DUH! Good point - how did I forget to mention this.

I think with the Slim, like the Fatboy, there is also a final quarter turn to 'lock' the doors once they are down too.

Basically... both the Slims and Fatboys will get the best out of a blade in my opinion. If it's a bad blade in a Slim or Fatboy, it's a bad blade anywhere.

I prefer mine set on the aggressive side. A setting of 2 equals about a Tech, so very mild. $ is where it comes into its own, and set in 6 for good blades like GBE's, Silver Blues, Astra SP.

Remember to let the weight of the razor do the work, do not add pressure.

Fatboys are popular but the Slims have a better balance. If you like it, you might want to look at a Super Adjustable which is more aggressive again.

Yeah Nick, I'd read that but thanks for taking the time to point it out.

Fatboys are popular but the Slims have a better balance.

Are fatboys more popular due to their comparative rarity or because they are a better razor? Methinks the latter. As you say, the slims have a better balance and Gillette didn't discontinue the FB and replace with the slim for no reason. They did it because they thought the Slim was their MkII design and a better tool for the job.

..........Are fatboys more popular due to their comparative rarity or because they are a better razor? Methinks the latter.............

Methinks the former! You know traditional shaving rule number one......... if it's rare it's better.

Usability-wise, I find the Slim holds a slight edge over the Fatboy for me. The Fatboy seems to be one of those iconic razors that people like to own though.

Methinks the former! You know traditional shaving rule number one......... if it's rare it's better.

... and a 'Fatboy' is WAAAAAAAYYYYY cooler than a Slim.

It is kinda like this compared to this - now which one would YOU want ...

And a Fatboy Slim is even cooler.

220px-Fatboy_Slim_in_2004.jpg

Are fatboys more popular due to their comparative rarity or because they are a better razor? Methinks the latter. As you say, the slims have a better balance and Gillette didn't discontinue the FB and replace with the slim for no reason. They did it because they thought the Slim was their MkII design and a better tool for the job.

The Fatboys are heavier, and most guys like a heavier razor.

The Slims have the longer yet thinner handle. They seem to be a biot more 'top heavy' which makes it easier to use the weight of the razor.

I use a Fatboy mostly. I do love my user-grade Slim for me NOS GBE blades though - just a great shave.

Last edited:
... and a 'Fatboy' is WAAAAAAAYYYYY cooler than a Slim.

It is kinda like this compared to this - now which one would YOU want ...

Actually, it's the postie bike for me. They're amazing machines. A semi automatic gear box, almost indestructable, you can get spare parts everywhere 'cause they've been used by the post office in their current form for years and run off the smell of an oily rag. On the other hand no, they don't give you a .............

What you musn't forget is the.....how shall I put it......attraction for gun running preacher men and males in general to use the word fat. "Using da fatboy to shave my face covered in da fat gives me a.........." If only we could think of a "fat" name for some razor blades, we'd have it made.

Last edited:
Lazarus arise! (thought it better to keep all the Slim information together rather than start a new thread)

A work of art this old Gillette. Stupefyingly beautiful. But seems that's where my good things may end. I've had a handful of shaves with the Slim and have yet to be impressed. Either far too mild around 4, while 7 starts getting rough. I've used IP Reds and Gillette Blacks and nothing but a sub-par shave. Odd as I am shaving much as I would with either the Weber PH or even my trial run with the 2011 R41, and with the same blades, and both left a far better face than the Slim.

Any advice on how to adjust to get a better shave? I know something must be awry - most likely with my technique or blade selection - as the Slim gets a lotta love 'round these parts.

Don't know if I can help - I just shave.

IMHO the razor/blade/beard combo is important. Some work for some people and not for others. YMMV and all that

Don't know if I can help - I just shave.

IMHO the razor/blade/beard combo is important. Some work for some people and not for others. YMMV and all that
Not giving up on the Slim that easily. There must be more that can be done before that. A different blade? maybe a GSB? Might also try my birth year Super (thanks so much to @filobiblic and @garethm!) to see if there's any significant difference. I'd planned to take the Slim with me holidaying up North, but the way it is right now it's the Weber, Speick and I.

I'd planned to take the Slim with me holidaying up North, but the way it is right now it's the Weber, Speick and I.

What's Mrs Stills going to say when you bring out Miss Speick from your suitcase?

Not giving up on the Slim that easily. There must be more that can be done before that. A different blade? maybe a GSB? .

Not in my experience. I found the slim the same. Too mild on 4-5, lots of gliding over the lather. Too rough further up, and not much of a better shave. Blade made no difference, just either sharper or rougher. Fatboy was surprisingly better.