JJ Shorty for a Newbie ?

Bladerunner7

Hi Lads,
Most of you have at some point of time or the other dabbled in Straight Razors, some using them on a daily basis too. @LesC , @rbscebu and @Gargravarr I know that you'll have the experience of having used them from my many exchanges with you Lads. Much as I love the Kamisori as in the non shavette version, I know it takes seasoned hands to wield one.

I did glance at the Feather AC Shavette often but somehow wasn't taken in by it. Richard has also often advised me about starting with a Gold Dollar Straight to figure out If I'd like one in the first place after using it, grateful for that advice.

Recently, I got to know of the JJ Shorty which is a modified Gold Dollar by John June I guess or an entirely new Razor by itself, whichever it may be, my question is would it be a good razor to start with. I have added a pic of the one that is available below. Your advice and views on the same would be much appreciated.

Screenshot-2024-07-11-at-8-25-52-PM.png

I'd insist on a hot pink if I were you.

I've only used a Western kamisori, so I was "cheating" to an extent. I like the shorter blade, but some might consider that to be dumbing it down. But nobody gets to use the whole length of the blade at a time in any case, so why not make it easier?

Last edited:
Personally, I'd start with an expertly honed vintage 6/8 round point. Learning where the entire length of the blade is for every stroke is a key part of the skill, and starting with a shortened blade will skew your prioperception early. You'll adapt, but it is an unnecessary detour, as almost every other straight you will shave with will be longer.

Also, a nice vintage will be better steel and generally nicer than a GD.

Mate, FWIW if venturing into S/R’s I agree with @silverlifter but would add if you are planning to delve into Kamisori may I suggest as @Gargravarr ”did” start with a Western Kamisori (symmetrical) the blade will be the same in size as a “true” asymmetrical Kamisori, but strop n shave the same (both sides) as a S/R, but with the shorter Kamisori blade. I have the Feather shavette style Kamisori’s glad after a week I got a Western, which after a month of using it got dropped point broke and @rbscebu was PIF’d it and he made it an even shorter Western Kami!! That’s when I decided on “true” Kamisoris and bought the Yamamasa now with @rbscebu and a Tosuke now with @Mycroft47. Leaving me my prized Iwasaki and Tosuke Kikusui 👍 on your decision/journey!!

As has been said by others above, start with a traditional western side full-length straight razor. A shorty is similar but a little different. Best you start with full-length SR.

Your first SR will not be your last. There will be plenty of time for you to later try shorter blades, be they western style shorties, kamisori (symmetrical or asymmetrical) and even replaceable-blade SRs. You will then be in a position to appreciate and enjoy the subtle differences between each.

As a first SR, I would not recommend the JJ Shorty that you are looking at. The main reason being the point/toe. It has an American (square) point (with barber's notch) with a sharp pointy toe. I am one of the few that I know of who enjoys shaving with a blade having a sharp pointy toe. I enjoy the challenge and concentration demanded. Shaving with one takes a lot more skill and concentration to avoid blood-letting and facial scars. (If you need blood-letting, leaches are much preferred :LOL:.)

The recommended SR for someone starting this gentlemanly art is a 5/8 or 6/8, half or full hollow, Dutch (round) point, full-length, professionally honed traditional western style straight razor. Trust me, I'm an engineer!

As has been said by others above, start with a traditional western side full-length straight razor. A shorty is similar but a little different. Best you start with full-length SR.

Your first SR will not be your last. There will be plenty of time for you to later try shorter blades, be they western style shorties, kamisori (symmetrical or asymmetrical) and even replaceable-blade SRs. You will then be in a position to appreciate and enjoy the subtle differences between each.

As a first SR, I would not recommend the JJ Shorty that you are looking at. The main reason being the point/toe. It has an American (square) point (with barber's notch) with a sharp pointy toe. I am one of the few that I know of who enjoys shaving with a blade having a sharp pointy toe. I enjoy the challenge and concentration demanded. Shaving with one takes a lot more skill and concentration to avoid blood-letting and facial scars. (If you need blood-letting, leaches are much preferred :LOL:.)

The recommended SR for someone starting this gentlemanly art is a 5/8 or 6/8, half or full hollow, Dutch (round) point, full-length, professionally honed traditional western style straight razor. Trust me, I'm an engineer!
Definitely a great advice.
I would not start with a sharp point. At the beginning I cut myself a few times with a round point. It is not easy at the beginning to focus where you shave and to control the point at the same time. Full length would be better for the beginning as well.
And to start. I would not consider shavette. The blades are super sharp and super keen. Also the angles and lengths are different. Just to try if you like it gold dollar would be great. Probably old blade would be nicer.
And it has to be properly sharpened. I have got 1.5 years of lack of progress, frustration, razor burns just because I thought the “shave ready” razor from the shop is shave ready. It was not. Not even close. And I found it out thanks to @rbscebu👍🏻.
And one more thing. I would also not start with @rbscebu diamond paste finished blade as it is super keen as well. Very sharp and very good but not forgiving. I would ask for some milder finish.
Just try and do not give up. SR is great👍🏻

I am certainly not an experienced Straight razor user.

I had a few key recommendations from @rbscebu that really helped me as a complete novice.

- Start with a full size
- Alternate hands, don’t become dominant handed
- Lather must be very wet
- Shave to remove the lather not stubble
- Start with cheeks the over a bit of time work up to a full shave

Straight shaving is a magnificent experience, I straight shave about 3 times per month now.

One little advice.
When you start with SR do not change between SR and safty razor. Use just one SR and use it as often as you can. Preferable every day. Until you get it.
Start with WTG only. If you shave on daily bases you will be clean shave. Not perfectly but visually good.
When you get some confidence then start second passes (if you want and need them).

What has happened to the youth of today? No spirit of adventure!
Hahaha😂
I have started with the cheapest shavette with half of DE blades. I did not deep cut myself but mu face was whole red😂
It turned out SR is waaay more forgiving.
But your diamond paste finish is like a DE blade sharp. Very keen. And not forgiving at all😂.
I think gr8 when you have at least some experience 👍🏻

Personally, I'd start with an expertly honed vintage 6/8 round point. Learning where the entire length of the blade is for every stroke is a key part of the skill, and starting with a shortened blade will skew your prioperception early. You'll adapt, but it is an unnecessary detour, as almost every other straight you will shave with will be longer.

+1

Also, don't be fooled into thinking a shavette would be the best starting point, it's not. It's actually harder to use than an SR due to the squared edges of a Razor blade.

Learn with an SR not a shavette.

Excellent Advice mate and well taken. Thanks Much.

Mate, FWIW if venturing into S/R’s I agree with @silverlifter but would add if you are planning to delve into Kamisori may I suggest as @Gargravarr ”did” start with a Western Kamisori (symmetrical) the blade will be the same in size as a “true” asymmetrical Kamisori, but strop n shave the same (both sides) as a S/R, but with the shorter Kamisori blade. I have the Feather shavette style Kamisori’s glad after a week I got a Western, which after a month of using it got dropped point broke and @rbscebu was PIF’d it and he made it an even shorter Western Kami!! That’s when I decided on “true” Kamisoris and bought the Yamamasa now with @rbscebu and a Tosuke now with @Mycroft47. Leaving me my prized Iwasaki and Tosuke Kikusui 👍 on your decision/journey!!
Cheers Les. True Kamisoris are beautiful in design and build quality too.

Thanks Much Richard, The Recommended SR for beginners is what I will seek then.

I am certainly not an experienced Straight razor user.

I had a few key recommendations from @rbscebu that really helped me as a complete novice.

- Start with a full size
- Alternate hands, don’t become dominant handed
- Lather must be very wet
- Shave to remove the lather not stubble
- Start with cheeks the over a bit of time work up to a full shave

Straight shaving is a magnificent experience, I straight shave about 3 times per month now.
Noted those points down and will remember when I start my journey.

I actually bought a JJ Shorty a while ago and have had about 15 shaves with it so far. I would not recommend one for a beginner, especially the pink one in the picture with the sharp toe. As for the JJ Shorty that I bought, it was poorly honed with a few micro chips on the blade. I gave it a re-hone and it was ok after that. I even muted the point on it when I was re-honing it. It's not my best shaver and I would recommend getting a 5/8" full size one that's guaranteed shave ready.

cheers
Andrew

Hi Lads,
Most of you have at some point of time or the other dabbled in Straight Razors, some using them on a daily basis too. @LesC , @rbscebu and @Gargravarr I know that you'll have the experience of having used them from my many exchanges with you Lads. Much as I love the Kamisori as in the non shavette version, I know it takes seasoned hands to wield one.

I did glance at the Feather AC Shavette often but somehow wasn't taken in by it. Richard has also often advised me about starting with a Gold Dollar Straight to figure out If I'd like one in the first place after using it, grateful for that advice.

Recently, I got to know of the JJ Shorty which is a modified Gold Dollar by John June I guess or an entirely new Razor by itself, whichever it may be, my question is would it be a good razor to start with. I have added a pic of the one that is available below. Your advice and views on the same would be much appreciated.

Screenshot-2024-07-11-at-8-25-52-PM.png

I would agree somewhat with Silverlifter. For a learner I would go for a Bengal 5/8 with a round end as they can be bought anywhere for a pittance. Had to modify mine a few decades ago and is my favourite of all my straights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree somewhat with Silverlifter. For a learner I would go for a Bengal 5/8 with a round end as they can be bought anywhere for a pittance. Had to modify mine a few decades ago and is my favourite of all my straights.
Bought anywhere for a pittance? I was in the old Vincents antique shop in Mayfield, Newcastle a couple of weeks ago and they had a couple of Bengals which they wanted $150 for. They would have probably cleaned up ok but like most antique shops these days, they were dreadfully overpriced. Probably costed them by looking how much they go for on Fleabay.
cheers
Andrew

I actually bought a JJ Shorty a while ago and have had about 15 shaves with it so far. I would not recommend one for a beginner, especially the pink one in the picture with the sharp toe. As for the JJ Shorty that I bought, it was poorly honed with a few micro chips on the blade. I gave it a re-hone and it was ok after that. I even muted the point on it when I was re-honing it. It's not my best shaver and I would recommend getting a 5/8" full size one that's guaranteed shave ready.

cheers
Andrew
Valuable Advice Andrew. Thanks Mate.