JohnyGoodSir TMBR Shaving soap - Aussie Artisan

Nonick

Sputniks orbit planet face
Group Buy Associate
This thread is to discuss the JohnyGoodSir TMBR shaving soap.

who-41-562x684.jpg johnny-2-logo-small.jpg

From my SOTD post...

One pass night touch up to try the TMBR from JohnnyGoodSir - an Aussie artisan I've been keen to get my hands on a sample of his soap.

Thanks to @@MrT for this sample, good man! I took a bit out of the zip lock bag and lathered in a bowl with it. Perfect.

This is an example of an Aussie artisan who has one soap, made in one scent, and he's NAILED it. In performance and scent.

From the website - red my doing

TMBR shaving soap – a remarkably plush, lathering shave soap specifically formulated for straight blade shavers.
Johnny Goodsir’s shave soap combine the scents of whisky & wood with the healing properties of bentonite clay, lanolin, tallow with castor, coconut, olive oils. Cedarwood & Cardamom are the bass note of the soap’s uplifting scent.

I think anyone would like this easy to get on with, laid back, well composed scent. It's comfortable like an old friend, not too overpowering or weak. The lather is great too, and I see what Stills meant that is just melts off the blade under hot water. I wonder if the 'specifically for straights' has anything to do with that. I'm surprised it worked for you Stills, using a DE. The lather was lighter than the Spanish stuff I've been on, but it didn't effect the shave.

So support the bloke for an outstanding local product! Lets hear who has tried this soap? First up, (probably) Mr Stills..

http://www.johnnygoodsir.com/product/johnny-goodsir-tmbr-shaving-soap-240ml/

I had a sample of the soap given to me by @stillshunter and a whole soap included in my order of the Roo strop.

Straight away it's the scent that blows you away. Seriously good stuff. What a scent! It's a scent for the men that the significant other will approve of (mine did). Richly scented in a smokey, woodsy, spiced way. I guess if you're only going to have a single scent, then you better make it a good one!

The performance was solid. It needed extra loading and the lather wasn't as voluminous as others. But it was very slick. And didn't leave any greasiness but washed off clean. Nothing to gloat about here, but did the job admirably.

Post-shave nothing was noticeable- apart from the scent. [emoji4] So it was just as well I had also been given an aftershave sample by Stillsy as a follow up. This is like a whisky version of the classic bay rum with more layers of scent and less alcoholic burn. I found the aftershave to be a little thicker like an oil, and soaked into the skin very quickly. (Reminded me of the GFT skin food in this respect.)

It's terrific that we have a variety of different Aussie artisan soap makers. [emoji106]

I do like the scent profile on the soap, sounds exactly my kinda thing. The soap itself sounds promising but hopefully they've not gone overboard with the clay in it - too much can be a killer for a good lather. You youngn's are a confounding bunch, one week you're professing your desires to smell like a handful of berries and the next a soap sold with pix of anvils, old hammers and containing whiskey is on the agenda.

Just out of curiousity how firm is it?

Shame they're out of stock right now as I'd consider grabbing some of their soap but I've sooooo many already (though thats never stopped me before!). Also sounds from the description that he's really added a lot of extra oils to it (I think this is called super fatting) anyway he's very clearly given a 12mth type expiry date recommendation on his soap - which is the type of thing I'd expect if you'd done this. Not a massively bad thing but a bit of a PITA if you have a decent sized soap rotation - you'd not want to find that 13ths later your soap is smelling of rancid oils. Something to be aware of - it's nice he's been upfront about this.

How about a P&C discount from the vendor? Hint hint if they're reading.

Last edited:
The sample I got was quite soft NtK. I'd call it in crop territory.

I do like the scent profile on the soap, sounds exactly my kinda thing. The soap itself sounds promising but hopefully they've not gone overboard with the clay in it - too much can be a killer for a good lather. You youngn's are a confounding bunch, one week you're professing your desires to smell like a handful of berries and the next a soap sold with pix of anvils, old hammers and containing whiskey is on the agenda.

Just out of curiousity how firm is it?

Shame they're out of stock right now as I'd consider grabbing some of their soap but I've sooooo many already (though thats never stopped me before!). Also sounds from the description that he's really added a lot of extra oils to it (I think this is called super fatting) anyway he's very clearly given a 12mth type expiry date recommendation on his soap - which is the type of thing I'd expect if you'd done this. Not a massively bad thing but a bit of a PITA if you have a decent sized soap rotation - you'd not want to find that 13ths later your soap is smelling of rancid oils. Something to be aware of - it's nice he's been upfront about this.

How about a P&C discount from the vendor? Hint hint if they're reading.
I'd class it as a croap. Worth the wait, the lather has the thickness of tallow and keeps the clay at bay.

Thanks for the clarification. A croap eh, so is the firmner sort of similar with say Proraso or a bit firmer like Arko sticks?

Interesting as they seem to sell it as freestanding/wrapped pucks as well and if it were towards the softer end of the scale e.g Proraso - I'd have thought this a tricky effort. Thanks again for the clarification.

Thanks for the clarification. A croap eh, so is the firmner sort of similar with say Proraso or a bit firmer like Arko sticks?

Interesting as they seem to sell it as freestanding/wrapped pucks as well and if it were towards the softer end of the scale e.g Proraso - I'd have thought this a tricky effort. Thanks again for the clarification.
Similar to firm but soft soap sticks. Not like Proraso.

Same consistency as Stirling soap.

My first impressions review pasted from my SOTD:

"I agree with their descriptor of whiskey and wood but there's a sweet note - and it's prominent. Look a little deeper and it contains "Oil of cardamom, whisky, spiced rum, clove, cedarwood, shea butter". To my nose, with eyes closed tight, it smells like freshly baked sweet chunky apple pie with an extra crisp and sugary crust. Seriously evocative, seriously crunchy!

Performance isn't like anything else I've tried before. Has decent enough cushion and glide, not stand-out with either as for instance Tabac and Speick do better but to me the scent drives this stuff for a six. The Johnny Goodsir builds a thick lather (the lanolin and tallow probably helps here) and can take water, but - and here's the weird bit - when you rinse your razor in the sink post-strokes the lather just disappears. I'm used to spent lather floating in the sink or 'muddying' the water but this stuff disintegrates. If, like me, you freshen up the basin between passes then all your left with pre-plug-pull is deceased stubble. Odd! Also the post-shave face feel is extraordinary, I think we can thank the lanolin and tallow, again, for this….and the scent just lasts. You got that smell of home baked Jonathan apples and sugar all the way to lunch-break. Hence, why I hope there's a bit of that in the AS lotion so that just out the oven small can get me all the way through to the commute home."

This stuff is in my Top Five definitely!
I'll do another more in-depth one with them photos that everyone loves so much.

What can I say … … … WOW!!! What a scent. Thanks to @stillshunter I received this soap today and WOW!!! Lathered up easy as from the JGS jar it came in using a Simpson Berkeley. Wasn't as slick as I had hoped but I'll work on this over the coming days. I was that blown away with the scent I had the most horrendous shave with the straight this evening since my original week of using my straight. Too steep an angle left my face a bit raw, but what a scent!!! I was telling Stills this evening that I have not had a drink for 18 years but I used to be a bourban whiskey drinker so this soap smelled great. It also had an earthy smell similar to rotting vegetation/bark. Sounds strange but I love that bush smell.

Post shave I finished with Ogallala cologne and I came out of the bathroom ten foot tall and bulletproof. The scent is worth the price of admission alone - just don't get distracted by the scent and keep your mind on what the razor is doing.

Once again Stills; thanks. If I can figure the glide out, this soap goes to No. 1. Actually, with that scent it is No. 1.

...Post shave I finished with Ogallala cologne ...
WHERE ... DID ... YOU ... GET ... THIS ... ?
I'm still hunting the Limes and peppercorns bay rum after experiencing it in the PCTB2.

WHERE ... DID ... YOU ... GET ... THIS ... ?
I'm still hunting the Limes and peppercorns bay rum after experiencing it in the PCTB2.

Ogalla Bay Rum cologne, Special Reserve Double Strength (my wife loves it too) I got from @Mark1966 when he was selling 2 x packs recently. A lot a so-so stuff but Bay Rum too ... ... Yeah!!!

How did I miss that ?
A great product and buy no doubt and sounds like you're enjoying it :)

Ogalla Bay Rum cologne, Special Reserve Double Strength (my wife loves it too) I got from @Mark1966 when he was selling 2 x packs recently. A lot a so-so stuff but Bay Rum too ... ... Yeah!!!
Also came with a bottle of Ogallala Bay Rum Aftershave with Limes & Peppercorns - only around 1/3 to 1/2 bottle. I can see why you want this; very nice.

Indeed it is, and unlike most A/S it has some staying power about it.

How did I miss that ?
A great product and buy no doubt and sounds like you're enjoying it :)

Didn't you read the description in the sale thread - "Ogallala Bay Rum Cologne (Double Strength) - I'd say almost full'

Also came with a bottle of Ogallala Bay Rum Aftershave with Limes & Peppercorns - only around 1/3 to 1/2 bottle. I can see why you want this; very nice.

Yeah, I threw some spare stuff in including that part bottle of the A/S - lovely stuff!!!

If we have somebody go OS we need to get them to bring some back (make that, LOTS of back).

I got mine in a couple of trips to the US then an order when my wife went last year . I might be going in July ....