Kettle - an essential shaving accessory!

These days (unlike when I grew up) the water is so cold from our hot water systems that I have to boil water for a shave to heat the water in the porcelain sink. I don't hear too many people having a problem with this - but people must be using tepid water given modern gas hot water systems are limited to 50 degrees. It ends up coming out of the tap at say 45c and hits the cold sink and is unusable after about 60 seconds. Same goes for washing up water. Not hot enough and rapidly becomes so tepid it's a health risk. I once heard commercial premises could get a hotter system for hygiene reasons but my response would be - so we can't be hygienic in our own homes?

Then there are those who add ice to their cold shaving water. It's a personal preference thing.

Many decades ago, I was discussing shaving with a retired Greek barber (Con) who use to be my barber in Cairns. It was he who told me that the ideal water temperature for shaving was about 20°C. Barbers would use warmer water as that is what most of their customers preferred. With the advent of cartoons, customers began to expect their warm wet towels to be as hot as is humanly bearable.

It is interesting how fashions change.

Then there are those who add ice to their cold shaving water. It's a personal preference thing.

Many decades ago, I was discussing shaving with a retired Greek barber (Con) who use to be my barber in Cairns. It was he who told me that the ideal water temperature for shaving was about 20°C. Barbers would use warmer water as that is what most of their customers preferred. With the advent of cartoons, customers began to expect their warm wet towels to be as hot as is humanly bearable.

It is interesting how fashions change.
I thought it was even a punishment in prisoner of war camps to make the POW's shave with cold water. I'm sure I remember a movie with that in it.

I thought it was even a punishment in prisoner of war camps to make the POW's shave with cold water. I'm sure I remember a movie with that in it.
Not just for POW see link FYI

Some are. We have a wetback, and when we are running the fire, the water is hot enough to boil an egg. :)

As for cold water shaving, off course it is possible; like playing the piano accordion. A gentleman may know how to do it, but would have the good taste to refrain.
haha!

I once had a gig with my accordion and panicked when I realised I had left it in the carpark with the door of my car unlocked... I rushed out to the car to make sure it was ok and to my surprise there were now two accordions on the back seat.

Some are. We have a wetback, and when we are running the fire, the water is hot enough to boil an egg. :)

As for cold water shaving, off course it is possible; like playing the piano accordion. A gentleman may know how to do it, but would have the good taste to refrain.
We have a wetback too, and if I'm not careful it'll heat our 300L cylinder to the point where it literally boils almost dry in about ½ an hour. But the plumbing codes here require a tempering valve except for the kitchen and laundry sinks, which is a PITA, especially in winter.

So yes, sometimes the kettle does come into play here. (y)

BTW, a common definition of perfect pitch is being able to chuck a piano accordion down a well without it touching the sides. Substitute bagpipes/ukulele/banjo as required.

Q: What's the difference between an onion and a bagpipe?
A: No-one cries when you cut a bagpipe.

We have a wetback too, and if I'm not careful it'll heat our 300L cylinder to the point where it literally boils almost dry in about ½ an hour. But the plumbing codes here require a tempering valve except for the kitchen and laundry sinks, which is a PITA, especially in winter.

So yes, sometimes the kettle does come into play here. (y)

BTW, a common definition of perfect pitch is being able to chuck a piano accordion down a well without it touching the sides. Substitute bagpipes/ukulele/banjo as required.

This place does suffer from the lack of a laugh emoji on the "like" button. No-one can tell if you laugh at jokes... I did laugh at yours lol

This place does suffer from the lack of a laugh emoji on the "like" button. No-one can tell if you laugh at jokes... I did laugh at yours lol
That’s because I’m not bloody Scottish :wtf:

It's easy to offend a Scot. I did just that a couple of years ago by remarking that Scotland used to have LOTS of oil, but they used it all for deep-frying. :rolleyes:

I was quickly informed that that was "a gross calumny". My cup runneth over... :LOL:
I’m just interested in the whole real truth, do Scottish wear undies underneath their bloody kilt today modern world? Or just a simple easy jockstrap, just to hold two golf balls and a sausage and not worried about their butt.

I always fill the bathroom sink with boiling water, soaking my shave towel before I have my shower.

By the time, I'm ready to shave, the water is still hotter than you'd get from the tap, yet not so hot to scold my face with the towel.

I’m just interested in the whole real truth, do Scottish wear undies underneath their bloody kilt today modern world? Or just a simple easy jockstrap, just to hold two golf balls and a sausage and not worried about their butt.
As a matter of fact, nothing is worn under the kilt ... it's all in perfect working order.

Like what? for breaking the Scottish traditional culture that you're not allow to wear undies, tights, box shorts and jockstraps.

Before every episode on Britbox, it warns viewers that the themes are indicative of the attitudes at the time.

In other words casual racism.