Kronos M1 or M2

Blackie

The guy from over the ditch
I am thinking about buying a Kronos (or similar, so your suggestions welcome).
Anyone tried a Kronos and can advise about the various base plates?
Is the M1 base plate too mild? I already own a Mamba, and it's a great razor but sometimes just a tad more bite would be nice. Would the M2 plate be better?
A wee bit more bite than (say) a Gillette Tech?
Being a pensioner now I have to sell something to get the funds to buy 'something else'.
So, I am thinking about selling my '61 Fatboy Executive (and it will be offered to P&C members first).
Yeah, I know, keep the Fatboy. But I want a change now, and I'd like to try some more razors (RAS).
Your thoughts?

I've never tried a timeless. But I hear they're wonderful... Expensive though.

Is the Fatboy your main razor?

I found the M1 & M2 bother too mild. The Kronos R1 is one of my favourite razors but although I have the Mamba I've never used it so cannot compare. I'll tell you what, buy the R 1or2 and if you don't like it let me know and I'll give you a M1 plate. I bought two thinking I'd like it.

@Blackie maybe look at the other RazoRock razors if budget conscious. Clearly you like a milder side razor so there is the MJ-90 that is used here by some and with the additional A plate too.
The game changer is to be released soon too and that is reasonably price as well and should be mild but very efficient.
Dozens of options.
Hell yeah there are even YAGI razors to be had now.

I've tried all Above the Tie stainless base plates except the H2 and the S2

I have kept only the S1, which is still my favourite travel razor - it can easily deal with 5+ days of growth and gives a super smooth, yet close shave...

My other choice would be the R1 - the last head I sold. That is a more aggressive, yet still smooth head.

If you find the Mamba too mild, the M1 is definitely not for you and I personally find the S1 more effective than the M2, yet still smoother.

Which Gillette Tech are you talking about and what setting on the Fat Boy would you use? If you have any other razors you like/dislike throw them into the mix - chances are I have tried them at one stage :D

I have large hands and like large handles in general, so I have a Colossus handle - but the Kronos is a very nice handle and probably the right one for most...I had one for a long time.

For me the S1 could easily serve as a daily driver, but if you are chasing that ultra close BBS shave, it might be too mild.

On the other hand you can easily achieve that ultra close BBS with the R1, however it would be too much for my face as a daily option.

Some great advice from Alfie above - he gave me invaluable insight when I was acquiring an ATT razor and various heads. My experience with the S1 is very similar to Alf's; a great daily driver and can be relied upon to easily give a comfortable and reasonably close shave with no irritation. The trade-off, for me, is that I need 3 passes to get to DFS or DFS+, and quite a bit of buffing to get to BBS. I normally call it quits after the 3 passes. The other heads I have are the M2, R2, and H2. The M2 and R2 feel very similar to me (both mid-aggressive and very efficient). I could not use the R2 as a daily driver; the M2 is a possibility, but it is more aggressive than the S1. The H2 is certainly aggressive. My skin could not put up with this razor on a daily basis, but it is fun to use when you have a bit of a growth, as you go from a week's growth to DFS+ in 2 passes.

Thank you gentlemen. Yes, the Fatboy is my usual razor. Set on 5 normally. When set on 4 it feels like my ball-end Tech.
I'm down to the Tech, Fatboy, Ikon Shavecraft 101, and the Mamba now.
The Ikon feels like a Tech, and no surprise there. Both heads look to be the same dimensions, shape, etc. I must bung up a photo of the 2 heads one day. The Ikon is really an aluminium Tech.
I shave each day, don't like or need aggressive razors but 'something' just a tad better than a Tech. Fatboy on 6 maybe!
Thanks Errol...good plan. I'll keep you in mind about that idea.
I may yet just go Rockwell 6S, but always bothered me that there would be a couple of base plates that I had paid for but would never use.
Anyway, the Fatboy will be sold. No idea of value yet. Ebay is all over the place with prices. I thought maybe $120. Am I about right?
I'll bung it up in the BTS soon and see what happens.
Many thanks to all. Much appreciate your input.

If you want Fatboy in 5-6 go for the R1.

Also: if you go to their "returned" section, you can get the razor for ~20% cheaper. You don't have the 30 day money back guarantee, but his returned razors always look brand new...