Looking for my second "one-and-done" razor

Castcore

Hey everyone, like the title suggests I am on the hunt for my second one-and-done razor. The Rockwell 6C on plate #4 has been my go to for quite some time now because it just shaves the nicest for me and that's basically it.
I'm looking for suggestions, recommendations, or any thoughts on the direction I should go with this next purchase. Currently I'm thinking I want something that is mild but efficient, I'm not sure if I prefer polished finishes or not, I like the chrome on the 6C compared to the finish on my pearl flexi but I don't know if that's just because I like the 6C more than the flexi, I definitely like a matte look more though. If I could get something that makes shaving right under the nose a bit easier that would be nice too.

I currently have the following on my radar:
  • Karve Overlander
  • Karve CB
  • Blackland Blackbird Lite
  • ATT S1
  • Henson AL13
At the moment I am leaning towards the overlander, I want to pair it with the project X handle as I think it would just look really cool. The overlander has lots of great reviews and feels inline with what I want, but I don't really see anyone having landed on it as their regular go to either. For the CB I'd consider it but also be looking for advice on which plate to get, as I simply have no clue (similar to plate #4 on 6C). The BB Lite is one that I have seen quite a few people land on as their go to which makes it appealing, I would prefer to spend less, but I also know that with the BB I'd be getting stainless so that makes it a bit more digestible. The ATT S1 is unobtanium but with Blackland acquiring ATT I'm hopeful it could be an option. I don't know why I threw the Henson AL13 on the list tbh, it's my least researched one but it seems mild and gets some love.

I might consider a SE but haven't really put much thought into it at the moment, they do seem easier for under the nose though.

I'm in no rush, so keen to hear what your thoughts are :)

Hey everyone, like the title suggests I am on the hunt for my second one-and-done razor. The Rockwell 6C on plate #4 has been my go to for quite some time now because it just shaves the nicest for me and that's basically it.
I'm looking for suggestions, recommendations, or any thoughts on the direction I should go with this next purchase. Currently I'm thinking I want something that is mild but efficient, I'm not sure if I prefer polished finishes or not, I like the chrome on the 6C compared to the finish on my pearl flexi but I don't know if that's just because I like the 6C more than the flexi, I definitely like a matte look more though. If I could get something that makes shaving right under the nose a bit easier that would be nice too.

I currently have the following on my radar:
  • Karve Overlander
  • Karve CB
  • Blackland Blackbird Lite
  • ATT S1
  • Henson AL13
At the moment I am leaning towards the overlander, I want to pair it with the project X handle as I think it would just look really cool. The overlander has lots of great reviews and feels inline with what I want, but I don't really see anyone having landed on it as their regular go to either. For the CB I'd consider it but also be looking for advice on which plate to get, as I simply have no clue (similar to plate #4 on 6C). The BB Lite is one that I have seen quite a few people land on as their go to which makes it appealing, I would prefer to spend less, but I also know that with the BB I'd be getting stainless so that makes it a bit more digestible. The ATT S1 is unobtanium but with Blackland acquiring ATT I'm hopeful it could be an option. I don't know why I threw the Henson AL13 on the list tbh, it's my least researched one but it seems mild and gets some love.

I might consider a SE but haven't really put much thought into it at the moment, they do seem easier for under the nose though.

I'm in no rush, so keen to hear what your thoughts are :)

Your tastes are a level down in efficiency compared to mine but don’t let that influence your decision. Karve for reasons that I can’t figure are not sending razors to Australia so find an Australian distributor. If Karve, i would suggest the CB with a #C plate. If you find the #C not to your liking you purchase just a plate either way, #B less, #D more. I like the #D plate. Blackbird Lite is a quality razor and could suit you. As for Henson, I am not a advocate; shaving with training wheels is not for me.

Two razors not on your list that I would recommend looking at are the Aylsworth Drakkant with the standard plate and the Wolfman Guerrilla in its standard form. Good luck.

Thank you for your insight Errol!
I've taken a look at your two extra suggestions and the Drakkant is looking quite attractive at the moment, I think I will slot that one into the round up for sure. It looks like the original plate is out of stock for now though.

I tried adding a Karve to the cart and it quoted me for shipping so perhaps they have resumed selling to aus or maybe it was in error. Do you happen to have any thoughts on Overlander versus CB? Reading your reviews both sound like good options and probably the biggest obvious difference for me is the blade angle. The cap looks a lot less bulky which makes me think it would be easier for under the nose, but not having tried it and knowing the angle is shallower am I misguided here? Thanks

Thank you for your insight Errol!
I've taken a look at your two extra suggestions and the Drakkant is looking quite attractive at the moment, I think I will slot that one into the round up for sure. It looks like the original plate is out of stock for now though.

I tried adding a Karve to the cart and it quoted me for shipping so perhaps they have resumed selling to aus or maybe it was in error. Do you happen to have any thoughts on Overlander versus CB? Reading your reviews both sound like good options and probably the biggest obvious difference for me is the blade angle. The cap looks a lot less bulky which makes me think it would be easier for under the nose, but not having tried it and knowing the angle is shallower am I misguided here? Thanks
If Karve looked at their early sales, he would find at least one of his initial batch of razors went to Australia and there were many more after that. Hopefully, you will be successful if that is the route you choose. There is not a huge difference between the Overlander and the CB. With the Overlander there are no optional plates and its efficiency is on the high side of the CB #C. I have never experienced any difficulty when shaving under the nose with a CB.
Just get the Blackland Blackbird Lite is all you need in your whole bloody LIFE!! Trust me, you'll come and thank me.
You might just be right but there are a lot of razors that I would recommend over a BB Lite.

My ATT S1 is my go to travel razor, as it can handle 1 days growth just as well as a weeks growth. Very versatile razor, efficient and smooth.

The Guerrilla is also a joy to use, but I'm not sure I could handle multiple days of growth.

go the blackbird mate.. it is the razor that killed my search for all other razors and my search was a decent one. Not sure if I would bother with the lite from what I hear it is quite mild and so so efficient..

I find the the blackbird standard as 'mild' but it is mid-high level efficiency. I also have the 6C and range from plates 4 to 6, with 5 being my preferred and as a comparison I feel the BB has a milder feel than the 6C on plate 5.. In my opinion, its due to the small blade gap (0.58 i think) and the positive forward blade.

You do get a little blade feel with the BB though, so depends if you like that or not. The BB is good for daily shaves and/or 1 week plus shaves

If I knew then what I know now I would of just settled with the WR2 and BB, I barely use any other razors but when I do they just remind me how good these two are :)

Last edited:
go the blackbird mate.. it is the razor that killed my search for all other razors and my search was a decent one. Not sure if I would bother with the lite from what I hear it is quite mild and so so efficient..
Or get both base plates the Lite and the Standard for the Blackbird, you can’t go wrong with either both base plates.