Looking to go to the next level

dreamboat

Hello fellow shavers.
My name is Rob and I live in sunny Brisbane.
I have shaved with multiblade type razors my whole life, and am now looking to take things up to the next level and get into DE shaving.
Last fathers day I was given a "kit" which included a really crappy multiblade razor which was unusable after 1.5 shaves, a shaving brush (which is something I had not previously used) and a couple of lotions and potions. The brush is a Boar bristle item, but when used in conjunction with some shaving soap, it has improved my shave dramatically when compared to the gel in a can variety of lather.
Sooooo many choices when looking at DE razors, and I will probably be more confused after spending more time browsing the forum. I was leaning towards at 34C, but the EJ89 apparently provides a similar shave and looks nicer imho... but there is a lot of appeal in the old gillette razors, the Fatboy in particular looks the way a DE razor should look in my mind - I know my grandfather used a DE and maybe it reminds me of the one I saw him use way back in the day.
Any advice and pointers welcome - including recommended sources for DE razors and the more "antique" variety, and comments on the razors I am considering.

Welcome dreamboat (cant wait to see what Avatar you end up with). Several things about your post:
1: We won't hold Brisbane against you as we even have people from Perth and Canberra on these forums.
2: The Gillette Slim is probably the greatest DE razor ever made and can be found on Ebay occasionally.
3: Lotions and Potions need names so we can other approve (or more likely mock unmercifully) :)
4: Beware @Mark1966 as you have expressed an interest in acquiring some more gear - he will have a 97 page coloured catalogue on your doorstep in a day or so.
Enjoy your time here - most of us have wasted many an pleasurable hour or so gently mocking each others choices or skills.

Hiya Dreamy, welcome to the forum.
Good decision to switch from multi blade canned nightmares to the relatively Zen art of DE shaving.

Everyone is pretty chilled and helpful here so I look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Hiya Dreamy,

For me 34C > EJ89.

The EJ does leave the Merkur for dead though in terms of the finish. I think both would be great starter razors though and if I had started with the EJ I may view their performance differently.

Often things like techs or superspeeds get recommended for beginners. I'm not sold on the concept personally. A bit too mild which encourages pressure and then you have a razor you won't use much after you have earned you chops.

All IMHO of course :D

Welcome aboard.

Hello and welcome dreamboat. You could try a vintage razor too. Plenty of them around and a lot of models are pretty cheap.

Don't forget to keep it real…

339b39ca300eae75700b2d80d0ac3e74.jpg

Fatboys seem to command a higher price on ebay, which is the go to place for such things. Don't know why, the Slim is pretty much the same thing, with less weight. As such, a slim is better value. Pick one up for around $30 and if you like it, keep an eye out for a fatboy. both are going to be quite mild on the low settings, which is a good way to start.

Although, Mark has a small collection of vintage stuff and always has interesting things for sale. I'm sure he's got a spare dozen fat boys and slims somewhere...

I prefer modern razors, the vintage just don't seem to shave as well for me.

Different head design on the Slim too.

My biased opinion is that the Slim is a better tool.

Or you could try a Gillette Super Adjustable, commonly known as the Black Beauty. They come in long and short handled versions. They have a black anodised aluminium handle with the usual plated brass head as per the other Gillette adjustables. Although the later versions had a plastic base plate for some obscure reason. Again it's a different head design to the Slim and the Fatboy (I've been told as I only own a BB myself). Same pretty nifty opening/closing/adjusting mechanism but cheaper than the other two. I don't personally like it too much but keep it because it's beautifully made. I generally prefer the humble three piece DE razors and vintage bakelite ones in particular. I get derided for it but then I also shave with SEs which makes all those that deride me quake with fear. Bunch a wusses.

It seems that nearly everything I read about the Slim rates it very highly.
Is it suitable for a first time DE or is the added complexity of the adjustment options potentially a minefield for newbies?

Is it suitable for a first time DE or is the added complexity of the adjustment options potentially a minefield for newbies?
Get one and you will have landed in shave heaven. Set it low numbers to start and work your way up the dial. The grand poo bah and founder of this board rates them highly so you cant get better than that. :)

People do use the adjustment during a shave. But for a newbie the attraction is to try different settings and determine what type of razor (aggressiveness) you might be happier with. By the way if you're talking to Drubbing you have to refer to him as a gentleman (he's old fashioned that way) and he's got an almost infantile attraction to smileys.

Hi mate - welcome aboard!

Ignore these infidels and their jealous rants. I do have a spare Fatboy or two, maybe a Slim and possibly a BB. Never know your luck but I might have an EJ available too!

I'm away at present but can look if you are interested ....

Did you say you needed a brush too ....

(Yes, I'm incorrigible)

Btw - get somebody to show you the thread with pics of what I have - it makes sense then.

At the risk of being accused of nepotism, Mark does have some good razors and brushes for sale worth looking at. I believe he's still got some vintage ones with new knots left.

Ignore these infidels and their jealous rants. I do have a spare Fatboy or two, maybe a Slim and possibly a BB. Never know your luck but I might have an EJ available too!

(Yes, I'm incorrigible)

Btw - get somebody to show you the thread with pics of what I have - it makes sense then.
Thread ?
Is this entire site not your quasi sales website ?

(Yes, I'm incorrigible)

I think I have seen the pictures already. Sure is a lot of razors for just one face!!
I would be keen to see pictures and pricing for a user quality slim. Not for show but not banged up either. Similarly for a Fatboy so I can get a handle on the typical price difference.

The shave soap I am using is Evelyn / Crebtree. Gives a nice lather and will last me for a long time at the rate I seem to be going through it.

A friendly tip, trades are an option.