March 2014 Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
What have you got coming to you? Purchases online, eBay wins, Mark purchasing more Razors from YKW.

Post it up!

So I have bought a few bits and pieces lately and met up with @Pjotr and we exchanged razors. He has my R41 to give a try, and I have a bakelite and an adjustable TTO whose name escapes me.
Joop Thrill
CK One Summer
Semogue 1800 boar
Proraso Green soap Original Recipe

PJ was also kind enough to give me some of the English Wilks to try out. Will post up a Shave of the Day soon enough for these.

The TTO has the official name of long handled super adjustable. Or, because she is tall, dark and obviously very flexible she gets the name Black Beauty.

The R41 looks scary.

The TTO has the official name of long handled super adjustable. Or, because she is tall, dark and obviously very flexible she gets the name Black Beauty.

The R41 looks scary.
Thanks for that PJ.

Yes you need to be respectful with that razor. It can bite, but you've been shaving long enough you should be ok.

The R41 2011 (not to be confused with the 2013 or 2012 which were both milder) is a beast. Reminds me a lot of nz old type - needing a very gentle touch. No pressure? You will soon discover how good your technique really is .... Enjoy

I decided to go the cheap route and buy a shavette instead of the straight that I was eyeing off last month.

lBzkmXr.jpg

Barber threw in some Astras as well, I already had them in my hand before I could say I have plenty :rolleyes: :)

Here's hoping I plant the seed of thought for the wife for my 30th later this year...

My Schicks arrived finally arrived, 310 schick Plus Platinum to add to the stash.

FYI, I used Mates in the States (www.matesfreight.com) parcel forwarding as the seller didn't want to send putsode the USA. This cost US$32, for a 1.6lb parcel, not the cheapest service around but for a once off it is OK and I didn't have to sign up for spam. The auction ended 17/2 blades arrived at Mates in the States 21/2, posted out 28/2 and arrived 5/3. Not too bad except for the few days of sitting around.

The seller included 4 packs of 15 Schick Super Chromium Blades as a bonus. This is a new blade to me and one you don't here much about, so they are either crap or mystical, we'll have to wait and see.

The seller included 4 packs of 15 Schick Super Chromium Blades as a bonus. This is a new blade to me and one you don't here much about, so they are either crap or mystical, we'll have to wait and see.

They are solid blades. Not as good as the Plus Platinums but I'd use them happily!

I received a package from Mens Biz this morning, I only ordered it yesterday afternoon,wow.

I got some red personna blades and some Polsilver SI to try.

Also some Speick soap sticks and some Cella too.

I couldn't wait until the morning so just tried the Speick and a red personna in the Futur. The stick lathered up really well and the blade gave a great shave.

It didn't feel dangerous at all as I raced with gay abandon around my face.

I will try the Cella tomorrow after I spend a few hours studiously studying the M@rko method of properly hydrating the brush to create the one and only way, endorsed by nearly every shaver world wide, except for one notable exception.

The Red packs are pretty mild, I find I get noticeable stubble 8-12 hours later, while most others blades scare the hair follicles into merely suggesting that they might be growing.

The GBE's are a much sharper and closer shave with the similar kind of feel... oh, and you must qualify the term 'gay abandon' around here as being the pre-1950's meaning, that is if what you meant. Otherwise that's just weirdness on a shave forum.

Not like
cupcake_zps307de2fa.gif
that, but more the old meaning, I am pretty old.

Hell, I remember John being gay in my primary school reader "John & Betty", so was Betty for that matter.

The blade did seem rather tame after the Astra I had been using, but I still ended up with a very smooth shave.

What are GBE's?( Don't worry I found it) Is it still possible to buy these?

Last edited:
560 Gillette 7O'Clock Blacks :)
Just need to figure out where to store them once they're delivered.

Reds are pretty comfy blades if not the sharpest. I like them, I can take a lot of liberties with them and they won't bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.