Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Any of you who frequent YKW will be well aware of the stir caused by the MicroTouch One safety razor.

If you don't or haven't check out the 19 page sticky thread here.

While there are other modern DE razors and even other TTOs this is promoted on TV by Rick Harrison from Pawn Stars - and we got so excited about a TV advertisement for a DE.

I was minding my own business last night with the TV on in the background and what did I see?

Glad you asked.

It was a commercial with Rick Harrison for the MicroTouch One - now available at The Shaver Shop.

Over to you guys now to postulate, speculate and pontificate for a dozen pages or so ...

So....the name Superspeed was already taken? It's so touching to seem those little BBers get so excited. Most of them probably think this is going to drive up the prices of the shitty razors they've been trying to sell..

Hmm looks decidely ordinary - I mean very little design differences from any number of TTO cheapies flooding out of China. I guess that it claims to be brass rather than Zamac etc is a positive, likewise being chromed rather than nickel - but from the very little of that thread at YKW seemed folks were saying the build quality was shoddy and it looked cheap.

I'm always uber dubious about any product that needs a celebrity endorsement to sell - especially when the celebrity used is very D grade. If I was after a cheap razor I'd buy a Lord Premium's (LP1822L or L6) - almost a third of the price delivered.

You've got to love the ads that feel the need to repeat themselves several times to get their point across and I always laugh at the shaving ads where the model is clearly clean shaven and just wiping shaving lather off with the razor to show how easy it is to shave! Looks ridiculous.

Haha suffice to say I won't wait for the flood of razors being sold off by P&C users flooding out to get into these.

I do enjoy being cynical - if the price hungry shaver shop are selling these less than $30, they will be a POS. A real super speed would be way better value.

Let me guess the BB camps on this:

1. Oh my, this is going to take wet shaving mainstream. I'm one of the cool kids that got in first.
2 Oh no, this is going to take wet shaving mainstream. I won't be cool anymore at all.
3 Oh no, prices of everything I love will go up
4 Oh my, this is going to bring in more products and competition.

Meanwhile most men in the shaving world won't give a shit, and carry on buying multiblades of plastic disposables.

Last edited:
J'accuse! You posted there and fanned the flames of a 2 yo thread. This is old news and apparently the shavepocalyse hasn't yet descended. Like a lot of the testicles YKW.

No this was NEW NEWS here in Australia - the first sighting of a commercial here!!

The contrast in response to elsewhere is fascinating :)

Watched the ad a few times now and still not quite sure why the heck big razor companies are adding more and more blades?

Profit. There's not much to be had in DE blades. It's a lesson Gillette learnt in the 70s. Back the big price up with technobabble, bling, and Roger Federer. They've been selling more blades are better for 30 years, they're not going to wind that back now. They're not terrible products, or they wouldn't sell. But they are massively overpriced, and too many men don't even know there's an alternative that doesn't plug in.

Profit. There's not much to be had in DE blades. It's a lesson Gillette learnt in the 70s. Back the big price up with technobabble, bling, and Roger Federer. They've been selling more blades are better for 30 years, they're not going to wind that back now. They're not terrible products, or they wouldn't sell. But they are massively overpriced, and too many men don't even know there's an alternative that doesn't plug in.
…sorry Drubs, was more that the irritating American on the infomercial asked "why the heck big razor companies adding more and more blades" no less than three times. Not sure how this shit resonates with Australians. I cringed watching this and it made me want to toss my gear out the window. God Bless America!

Got to take you up on a point though - after having used a DE for a little while I now find cartridges are a "terrible product". Not so much the tug'n'pull or the ingrown hairs, but even just the clogging rigmarole. Shits me beating the enamel off my sink trying to free up some space between the blades to wedge in a little more stubble. Maybe the older two blade jobs have a more room between the blades but the state-of-the-art four and five strip models are tedious in use at best.

I go ATG with a DE blade and never could with a cartridge.

"too many men don't even know there's an alternative that doesn't plug in." Classic mate!

Last edited:
Three times? That's the standard required of an ad that doesn't underestimate how stupid its audience can be. I mean this is the bloke from Pawn Stars. He assumes everyone he meets is a dickhead.

Like you, I find carts terrible. I think if most men were to give DE a try, they'd agree. But when there's no comparison made, they seem more than adequate. I think there's a lot of men who also need some advice through the early stages. I they shaved with a DE the way some do with a cart, it would be a nightmare.

Three times? That's the standard required of an ad that doesn't underestimate how stupid its audience can be. I mean this is the bloke from Pawn Stars. He assumes everyone he meets is a dickhead.

Like you, I find carts terrible. I think if most men were to give DE a try, they'd agree. But when there's no comparison made, they seem more than adequate. I think there's a lot of men who also need some advice through the early stages. I they shaved with a DE the way some do with a cart, it would be a nightmare.
Yeah, if I'd committed to a week's trial of DE shaving only, then I'd have thought cartridges were an evolution, but after a month backing off pressure, adjusting angles, mixing a lather right, finding 'my' blades, etc., now I know that the cartridge business is a scam - not much money in DEs obviously. Never had anything better than an acceptable shave with a cartridge, but I now often have a good shave and sometimes a damn great shave, and lately I'm having shaves that simply lift my day!
Anywho….I'm a little off topic.