Mike's Natural Soaps

Had another REALLY sensational shave with the Barbershop sample today and am going ahead with the order on this basis. Its really the best moisturising shaving soap I've ever used by a LONG way. Fabulous lather too.

I'm ordering the Lime, Orange/Cedar/Pepper, Barbershop, Bay Rum and the Coconut (for the missus...I swear!)

Mong is also going in on the order.

SO THIS IS LAST CALL.......IF YOU WANT TO GO IN ON THIS ORDER PLEASE PM ME ASAP AS WE WILL BE ORDERING WITHIN 24HRS. The deal is split postage from US to Oz and add on postage from me to you. Will work out cost effective for folks who want 2+ soaps (in tin or bar).

If you've still any doubt here's a sensational recent review of his Lime soap.

OH and let me flag to you folks after something exclusive (as I only spotted this yesterday as its a special one off scent he did in a very limited number of tins) he announced on his Twitter feed that he released a special soap in Vevitier (which is apparently very nice stuff - a lot of men's fragrances use this as their core scent - is very much associated with shaving much the same as Bay Rum is). Its on his website, only in the tin and costs a little more (~$14 from memory) but if you want something special and exclusive this might be something to consider for you.

Thanks guys,

Cheers, Nick

PS. Hopefully Mike didn't get blown away or destroyed in that big storm, he's right in the middle of Queens where a bunch of folks were killed etc! :confused:

Missed the boat then ...

The eagle has landed.....

IMAG0048.jpg

The two tins and single bar on the left are those of Senor Sam.....yours truly's bday pressie on the right.

IMAG0049.jpg

I've consistantly found that the samples don't lather as BIG or as easily as other soaps...but IMHO this isn't a big drama as the size of the lather is really irrelevant to how effective a job it does (cushion, slickness, skin protection and moisturising are all the main things for me - also obviously I'm looking for something that doesn't irritate my skin or have nasties in it (eg SLS). I have to concede that easy/quick to lather would be ideal but again if this was what we were all after we'd be reaching for those cans of goo.

Hence even though the lathers I've gotten might look lesser compared to those Arko, P160, La Toja etc have given me - the quality of the job done both during the shave and particularly after it hasn't even been approached by anything else I've used. The list of the ingredients gives some explaination if you know a lil about soaps & the characteristics that each of these oils/butters brings to the table.

I'm hangin' out to unleash the Blobby Foo on these. Those tins are pretty decent looking, they'll be good keepers.

I'm hangin' out to unleash the Blobby Foo on these. Those tins are pretty decent looking, they'll be good keepers.

The tins look nice indeed, the only concern I have about them is that they're filled up to within 10mm of the top and I can see each time you load up the brush them getting a lil messy over the sides. But they definitely have a more dignified look to them and by my calculations are about them same $ for weight value as the bars.

PS. New homes for mine so they're not 'naked'. No more soaps needed for a LONG time!

IMAG0050.jpg

The missus has already 'bagsed' the coconut for her uses and said she hates the Bayrum & Orange/Cedar/Pepper.....women! :p

Last edited:
First use of Lime soap - gee talk about no lathering problems, fantastic lather and shave. I can only assume the issues I had were due to a few sub-par samples as this soap was wonderful. The scent is a lil subtle but very natural and real. Lovely soap!

Did you use the lime with your new horsey mate? I'm looking forward to trying the lime the most, it'll probably be first up.

Well it's refreshing to read that a soap with citrus scent for once doesn't get the urinal puck tag.

Did you use the lime with your new horsey mate? I'm looking forward to trying the lime the most, it'll probably be first up.
Sam,

No, I actually used my Jaguar boar - which is very 'boofy' and gets a massive bloom on it when used. I'm thinking that the problem I had might have been on the brushes that have a lot of backbone and are quite tightly packed - think the entry level Omega's (I have a 10005 and it had the most difficulty lathering) but that all said I do think that perhaps the BayRum sample just was a fizzer. The lime definitely lathered really nicely....not as good as your Arko's etc but still especially on the 2nd pass the lather was great.

The lime scent is much more subtle that the others but once it's in use the heat activates the essential oil and it smells a lot stronger - is so nice to use essential oil scented soaps rather than fragrance scented ones. Just smells more real and unconvoluted.

Well it's refreshing to read that a soap with citrus scent for once doesn't get the urinal puck tag.
Never have understood this linkage and don't think I ever will. Every urinal puck I've been around has been in the trough and so the whole area reeked of piss - some talented snozes out there if they can distinguish the urinal cakes amidst all that stank. :confused:

I've been using the Lime and the Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper with my Omega 49 and it's been great. The Omega is starting to break in and soften up, but the huge knot has so much backbone that it loads really easily. It is a lather hog, but it's really easy to whip up enough lather for a 2-3 pass shave quickly with most soaps. Unfortunately, I've found Mike's to be a little bit fiddly in it's water requirements. It has taken some work to get the amount of water necessary nailed down, but I think I'm pretty much there now. It does take a bit of work in the bowl or on the face, but having a huge boar massage your face for a couple minutes does lead to a good shave. The moisturising effect has been pretty helpful while I've been messing around with sharp blades, and I think it has cut down on the amount of irritation and redness I get in a particular area on my neck. Obviously using alum or alcohol-based aftershave dries the skin, so using them with these soaps is something that I've learned not to do if I want to enjoy the full effect of Mike's on my skin.

Definitely a worthwhile purchase, these are great for the price and these tins are going to last a long time.