Minor vintage haul

nosedog

Gents,

I won an auction on the bay for four vintage razors: Gillette (unknown); Ever-Ready (prob 1912); Gem MM Clog-Pruf; Injector. They're all in pretty scruffy nick and I hope I can clean and polish them successfully.

$30 + $9.60 postage. Fair price?

Auction #230693975842 if you'd like to take a look.

I'm mostly happy to pick up the Clog-Pruf, but the Injector will be interesting as well.

Gents,

I won an auction on the bay for four vintage razors: Gillette (unknown); Ever-Ready (prob 1912); Gem MM Clog-Pruf; Injector. They're all in pretty scruffy nick and I hope I can clean and polish them successfully.

$30 + $9.60 postage. Fair price?

Auction #230693975842 if you'd like to take a look.

I'm mostly happy to pick up the Clog-Pruf, but the Injector will be interesting as well.

For the lazy amongst us the link is here.

The Gillette is a ball end Tech in NASTY condition - should clean up OK but likely to do some damage to the plating whilst doing so.

Not sure how you will get on with getting injector blades - are they around?

The Gillette is a ball end Tech in NASTY condition - should clean up OK but likely to do some damage to the plating whilst doing so.

Yeah, it doesn't look too nice, but I've never cleaned one up before so it's a learning experience even if I can't do it well.

Not sure how you will get on with getting injector blades - are they around?

I've never been interested in acquiring them before so I don't know where to go, but I'm 99% sure from chatter on forums that it's not a problem.

You've got an Ever Ready 1924 SE. It hinges at the front. Well done on the Clog Pruf. It's hard to tell if they've lost plating or if it's just crud. Very good price for four razors.

I've never been interested in acquiring them before so I don't know where to go, but I'm 99% sure from chatter on forums that it's not a problem.

Amongst others, Connaught sell them. Putting the first one in can be a challenge (if the previous blade is either rusted in place or not in place at all)

Also with old SEs you want to make sure and check the blade stops are not damaged or missing. Be interested to see how you get on with the ER 1924. I didn't like it and PIFFed it on to somebody. Almost as rough as the MMOC in my opinion.

Last edited:
What do you use to clean your old vintage scores? I read on various pages about scrubbing bubbles, but I don't know what that is or where to find it in Aus. I bought an old 30's era ball end Gillette NEW and the gold plate has rubbed off most of it, and after about a week the shine keeps dulling. even when not being used. Is there anything I can do about this?

What do you use to clean your old vintage scores? I read on various pages about scrubbing bubbles, but I don't know what that is or where to find it in Aus. I bought an old 30's era ball end Gillette NEW and the gold plate has rubbed off most of it, and after about a week the shine keeps dulling. even when not being used. Is there anything I can do about this?

A non acid/alkaline cleaner - spray and wipe or similar will help to remove soap scum along with soaking in hot water.

The gold plated ones are hard to clean because the plating was very thin and soft. later ones were lacquered over the top to preserve them but that comes off too.

There are some petroleum based polishes that work OK on the gold but again the oxidation quickly returns if the plating is worn off. Short of a replate the options are limited.

I tend to just clean off the crud and use them. I also just use an old toothbrush and toothpaste. It's a very mild scrubbing agent. If it's a bit deeper I'll grab some automotive polish but that tends to stink a bit too much for regular use. Scrubbing bubbles is a Yankee thing. From your description I'd say you're down to the brass/bronze. As Mark has suggested, I think short of getting it replated you'll have to live with it. Gillette's gold plating is not good. GEM/Ever Ready is a lot better but if possible I tend to stay clear of gold plating. I've only got one (GEM Clog Pruf) in my regular rotation. Good luck. The best razors are bakelite!