Monsta's Blade Reviews discussion

pablo_h

"Smoothness: Most desired trait of blades amongst shavers.
Roughness: The ideal is none at all, although many blades can be smooth while exhibiting roughness."

A blade can be smooth and rough?

A blade can be sharp but rough, can be dull but rough. But can't see one being smooth but rough, makes no sense.

I'm only starting the flesh this out.

But yes, you can have blades which are smooth, however can be rough on certain areas of the face which can be due to beard grain, skin irritation, actually a million and one things. I have had blades which do not like certain razors and appear rough, while they lack any roughness in others.

Smoothness is the same. A blade can lack the smooth feel, but also lack any roughness.

"Smoothness: Most desired trait of blades amongst shavers.
Roughness: The ideal is none at all, although many blades can be smooth while exhibiting roughness."

A blade can be smooth and rough?

A blade can be sharp but rough, can be dull but rough. But can't see one being smooth but rough, makes no sense.

What you have to understand pablo_h is that Razormosta has developed a relationship with his blades. All 10,000 of them. He blows them kisses every night before bedtime. He accidently refers to his partner as "Iridium, darling..." or "Feather, my love...". It's a little bit sad really!

You've got to take the rough with the smooth. Monsta's just taken that very literally.

I do prefer a smooth blade to a sharper one though, While it may need a bit more work, I can do that without hurting myself. I haven't changed from IP Reds for about 3 weeks.

I can't remember the last timeI needed a dab of styptic, or had anything but a warm, soft hum from my AS. Astras would cut better, but need more care to avoid those tiny weeps.

I'm just glad I ended up with SE razors. Basically two or three blades to choose from. It's one AD I can do without. Conquered the razor AD too as there are simply a limited number of SE razors to choose from. Aside from the occasional little boar brush (I can't help myself) I've cured brush AD too. It's the damn soaps that are causing me grief at the moment. But that's coming to an end too. Need to find some other weird pastime.