Muhle R41 : Fear Factor or Whisker Whacker ?

Bladerunner7

The Muhle R41 is loved, disliked, praised and thrashed by many. There have been tons of videos, blogs and discussions on it's aggression and ability to bite. So I had to document my experience with it for those who have used it and those who are still on the fence with it. I purchased a Muhle R41 head a year back and for 12 months I often looked at the Razor head still in it's packaging and it looked back at me. Read horror stories by Bloggers and saw many of my fav Wet Shaving YouTubers regard it with fear and using it akin to be a journey into the unknown. Yesterday after two weeks of picking up a slight irritation following each shave with my fav Razors due to extra buffing, I picked up the Muhle R41 head and replaced the Yaqi slant head on my Yaqi Chrome handle so I could give it a go. Used Ach Britto Lavanda for the Shaving Cream and a Feather Blade. The result was a stunning two pass BBS, It was one of the best shaves in my entire wet shaving life. My skin never felt better or cleaner and there were no touch ups, no nicks, no weepers and no skin irritation. 24 hours later I'm still sitting smug with how good that felt. I recollect Errol's review and I felt the same, it was smooth, super efficient and I was in control through the whole shave. I realized that I've been shaving with a DE razor for three years now since I first switched to a King C Gillette (That one is history by the way). Much as I love the many artisan razors and admire their look and performance, I was shocked that one of the best razors is a humble Zamak offering which is in my top three now. My regret in all of this, why didn't I pick up the R41 sooner. Looking back I realized a few things I learned along the way from other shavers which could help those on the fence.

1. Errol, by now everyone knows that I'm a mega fan of the Review Guru. Somehow, many of the Razors he loves and the ones he dislikes are exactly the same as me, probably my shaving style might be a bit like his. Having said that I haven't used even 5 percent of the number of razors he has but figured if Errol loved it, I would too. I used a sharper blade based on his review and put the Razor head on a Yaqi Chrome handle (Errol used a nice Windrose trident handle) that was comfortable to hold. I guess his review had me confident of coming away with a god shave without all the other warnings I have read about the R41 being ready to bite. Mind over Matter there Lads.

2. Tips from my good friend Lee from Malaysia who runs Charmwise with his wife, an online retail store that is a gift for Wet Shavers in South East Asia. When I need to save on the shipping cost from Italian Barber or other stores in the US and Canada, Lee is muh man. Lee had a video on YouTube where he tamed the R41 with a watery lather (very important) and light strokes, his advice on keeping it light now automatically dictates how I shave. In a message once, he said "your shave depends on the slickness of the lather, choice of blade and your technique, the Razor is just a tool in your hands." Ever grateful for those words.

3. geofatboy, totally love him. Was in awe watching him use the R41 like a toy once but picked up the right angle from his video. Over time I figured that he is a straight razor user so handling an aggressive DE razor was no challenge for him whatsoever.

What's your experience with the Muhle R41 and which is the most efficient Razor in your den? I would love to know.

Last edited:
I think it’s over hyped, in my time I have had 2 of the early versions and 2 of the later and i think that people just run into drama when they apply too much pressure using it and it’s just less forgiving in that respect.

If you have used Gem/ever-ready SE razors and are accustomed to riding the top cap a bit more then that same technique with a very light touch will see you through easily.

Most aggressive razor I keep around would be either my red tip (thanks speedy) or my artist club kamisori but will caveat by saying that I generally opt for a aristocrat,

I think it’s over hyped, in my time I have had 2 of the early versions and 2 of the later and i think that people just run into drama when they apply too much pressure using it and it’s just less forgiving in that respect.

If you have used Gem/ever-ready SE razors and are accustomed to riding the top cap a bit more then that same technique with a very light touch will see you through easily.

Most aggressive razor I keep around would be either my red tip (thanks speedy) or my artist club kamisori but will caveat by saying that I generally opt for a aristocrat,
I think you nailed it well, there is too much drama surrounding it, though I am intrigued about how the 2011 R41 version or the DScosmetic ZO work.

I have never used a Gem or an Ever-Ready but i have seen a beautifully Plated Aristocrat in the market here. The AC Kamisori is a Beaut to look at as well.

I think you nailed it well, there is too much drama surrounding it, though I am intrigued about how the 2011 R41 version or the DScosmetic ZO work.

I have never used a Gem or an Ever-Ready but i have seen a beautifully Plated Aristocrat in the market here. The AC Kamisori is a Beaut to look at as well.
Is say to just jump into it, and pick up a Gem and/or ever-ready when the opportunity presents itself, having a thicker more ridged blade is good value when playing with blade angle as a variable.

Is say to just jump into it, and pick up a Gem and/or ever-ready when the opportunity presents itself, having a thicker more ridged blade is good value when playing with blade angle as a variable.
On it Buddy. Probably the Gem first. Saw an Old Clog proof in pristine condition for sale here, will check on it.

Finally figured how to get an Image in here with kind advice from Alfredus. So Awesome. Just wanted to add my Muhle R41.

Muhle-R41.jpg

When I bought my Muhle R41 the guy behind the counter said 'Oh, that razor would be too much for you sir' as in too aggressive. :LOL: OK it's not mild but it's not a scratch my Asylum Rx, that's the one that had blood running in my bathroom, until I learned to use it.
What blades do you like in your R41?
I know what I'm shaving with tomorrow now, it's been a long time since the R41 got a run.(y)

When I bought my Muhle R41 the guy behind the counter said 'Oh, that razor would be too much for you sir' as in too aggressive. :LOL: OK it's not mild but it's not a scratch my Asylum Rx, that's the one that had blood running in my bathroom, until I learned to use it.
What blades do you like in your R41?
I know what I'm shaving with tomorrow now, it's been a long time since the R41 got a run.(y)
I was given the same advice by the Muhle Sales lady here which is why I ended up buying the R89 full razor and the Muhle r41 head only. Uased the R 89 for a year and I did enjoy it back then but had I known the 41 was so good, I would have just bought that alone. I don't have the Asylum Rx but I think I do have a fair idea of it from Errol's review and your experience now. I've used only two blades with the R41 so far, the Feather Stainless Steel and the Wizamet Super Iridium. Both worked well for me but I did like the Wizamet a tad bit more.

Have a great shave tomorrow mate, nothing like re visiting an old friend.

I was given the same advice by the Muhle Sales lady here which is why I ended up buying the R89 full razor and the Muhle r41 head only. Uased the R 89 for a year and I did enjoy it back then but had I known the 41 was so good, I would have just bought that alone. I don't have the Asylum Rx but I think I do have a fair idea of it from Errol's review and your experience now. I've used only two blades with the R41 so far, the Feather Stainless Steel and the Wizamet Super Iridium. Both worked well for me but I did like the Wizamet a tad bit more.

Have a great shave tomorrow mate, nothing like re visiting an old friend.
You haven’t lived if you haven’t tried the original Asylum Rx especially with the Feather Professional Super. Sorry, shouldn’t say that, it is a dangerous combination.

You haven’t lived if you haven’t tried the original Asylum Rx especially with the Feather Professional Super. Sorry, shouldn’t say that, it is a dangerous combination.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:I love the Asylum and can get great shaves out of it.........but NOT with the Feather Pro Super. It's the only razor where I really thought I may have made a poor purchase choice, with appropriate amounts of blood loss to prove it, but with the right blade and a little technique adjustment .....Voila! some of my best shaves.