Muhle R95 Rocca Birch Bark Appreciation Thread

Congratulations mate, the r94 does look excellent and feels great in the hand.. it is around 25g lighter than the 6C, the r94 is 95g and the 6c is 130g

Let us know how the shave feels

I think the thickness of the handle throws you off, it's a nice chunky feel.

I really wanted the 3One6 until I held it in my hand, why did they make the handle slimmer than the DE89 I'll never know.

I really wanted the 3One6 until I held it in my hand, why did they make the handle slimmer than the DE89 I'll never know.
Some razors work well with slim handles, eg the Vector is positively dainty, but the handle never slips. But try the R95 birch-bark one day, you'll love it.

Personally I like the head design of the 3one6 but was put off by the lighter aluminum handle and the QC issues (SS tabs coming apart). Plus its a harsher shave...???
Glad I made the choice for the Rocca and as much as I love the R95, the R94 feels great and balances perfectly.

Some razors work well with slim handles, eg the Vector is positively dainty, but the handle never slips. But try the R95 birch-bark one day, you'll love it.

I don't know how I feel about a wood grain handle on my razor to be honest, will kind of sit out of place for me!

I appreciate a good piece of wood, when it's been split and being shoved into my smoker with either 5 racks of ribs or a 6kg brisket in there :p

Personally I like the head design of the 3one6 but was put off by the lighter aluminum handle and the QC issues (SS tabs coming apart). Plus its a harsher shave...???
Glad I made the choice for the Rocca and as much as I love the R95, the R94 feels great and balances perfectly.

From what I've read the 3one6 is definitely more aggressive than the DE89 which is what drew me to it initially, had no idea they had QC issues, very unexpected from EJ.

What was the Muhle blade like? might even use it for my shavette..

From what I've read the 3one6 is definitely more aggressive than the DE89 which is what drew me to it initially, had no idea they had QC issues, very unexpected from EJ.

What was the Muhle blade like? might even use it for my shavette..
Like most I skipped trialing the included blade but have tried Muhle blades in the past and found them OK.
Saying that I tend to get along with most bellow par blades.
I'm happy to send you a few Wizamets & Gillette Yellows if you want as so far they're the smoothest blade I've tried - PM me your details.

Like most I skipped trialing the included blade but have tried Muhle blades in the past and found them OK.
Saying that I tend to get along with most bellow par blades.
I'm happy to send you a few Wizamets & Gillette Yellows if you want as so far they're the smoothest blade I've tried - PM me your details.

Thanks mate, I've actually got some Gillette yellows! I just haven't given them a go as of yet, I've been loving the Black Wilkies and Green Astras at the moment, knowing that the Rocca is more aggressive than the 4/5 plate on the 6C, I'll definitely try the Black Wilkie for my first steps

Thanks mate, I've actually got some Gillette yellows! I just haven't given them a go as of yet, I've been loving the Black Wilkies and Green Astras at the moment, knowing that the Rocca is more aggressive than the 4/5 plate on the 6C, I'll definitely try the Black Wilkie for my first steps
I've yet to try the Wilkies and @StratMan suggested/kindly offered some but seeing as they haven't ever worked before I passed but tried an Astra Blue and the results were somewhat harsh and not as close as I like but then I have thick beard growth.

@Gargravarr suggested the Yellows and like you I had yet to try them but they shave super smoothly and stay sharp so I had to add extras to alternate with the Wizamets.

I wouldn't classify the Rocca as 'aggressive' as it has minimal blade feel but is smooth & efficient as opposed to the R41 which is bitey due to the pronounced blade feel.
For whatever reason it shaves harsh with some blades but super smoothly with others so don't be swayed if your normal blade choices don't shave that great.

Experiment and don't necessarily chase BBS hard as I'm finding 2 passes + Touchups work great as the razor does all the shaving and when I seek an extra pass it can give me slight redness on my troubled spots. (y)

I don't know how I feel about a wood grain handle on my razor to be honest, will kind of sit out of place for me!

I appreciate a good piece of wood, when it's been split and being shoved into my smoker with either 5 racks of ribs or a 6kg brisket in there :p
The birch bark is more like cork than wood as such (since cork is just oak bark). So quite light, warm and tactile.

@Razor Burn mate try the black Wilkies, I'll even happily send you some.

They are super smooth for me and not overly sharp.

Everyone is different, but these tame any bad boy razors and make them enjoyable.

I find feathers blisteringly sharp, but rough as a comparative

@Razor Burn mate try the black Wilkies, I'll even happily send you some.

They are super smooth for me and not overly sharp.

Everyone is different, but these tame any bad boy razors and make them enjoyable.

I find feathers blisteringly sharp, but rough as a comparative
Sadly I've moved on from the Wilkies as both Black & Blue caused me grief and I gladly PIF'd my supply so thanks for the offer. (y)

Have you ever tried vintage English Wilky blades which are far better than the German Wilky, India Wilky and Chinese Wilky
What do you mean by vintage, Speedy? I tried late 60s and 70s wilkies when they were still new, and I don't remember them as anything special...

Have you ever tried vintage English Wilky blades which are far better than the German Wilky, India Wilky and Chinese Wilky
Not to my knowledge but the Indian/Chinese ones were my first blade in DE shaving and they were horrible that I went back to carts.
Tried them again after working on my technique and they shaved harshly as do the German Wilkies.
I think my oldman had a few of the old ones that I tried eons ago but I had poor technique and gave up as DE shaving was too scary. :chicken:

Alright, I'm going to have to go against @Errol here..

The Rocca has to date been the best shave I've had.

100% not what I would call aggressive, I would place it as being the starting level of efficient.

I have the 6C, the smoothness was equivalent to the 3 plate but it cut like I had the 5 plate.

Unbelievable.

Maybe my shaving style suits this razor more than others and I've finally found my holy grail?

I teamed it with the Green Astra and some Stirling Intrepid, it just glided through my beard with no cuts, weepers or irritation.

I wish I had this from the start. I wouldn't have bought the 6C to be honest.

Fantastic.

Alright, I'm going to have to go against @Errol here..

The Rocca has to date been the best shave I've had.

100% not what I would call aggressive, I would place it as being the starting level of efficient.

I have the 6C, the smoothness was equivalent to the 3 plate but it cut like I had the 5 plate.

Unbelievable.

Maybe my shaving style suits this razor more than others and I've finally found my holy grail?

I teamed it with the Green Astra and some Stirling Intrepid, it just glided through my beard with no cuts, weepers or irritation.

I wish I had this from the start. I wouldn't have bought the 6C to be honest.

Fantastic.
So glad to see you're initial shave was so positive! (y)(y)(y)