My badly aligned progress

boogeyman

So I pulled out the progress for a shave the other day and noticed it wasn't shaving quite right. I took a closer look and noticed the blade not sitting evenly. I kept going and a few cuts later I was done.

Does anyone else's progress line up like this?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376996866142.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376996866142.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 45
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376996892993.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376996892993.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 42
  • uploadfromtaptalk1376996911645.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376996911645.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 43
Have you got the head on the right way round with the arrow and notch on the same side?

Progresses can get a little misaligned, even when the heads on right, but yours looks too fucked to be right.

More here.

[video=youtube;4FZvMmuX_GE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FZvMmuX_GE[/video]

Might be something in the shaft where the head screws in that's preventing it from sitting right. Even if you have the head misaligned with the arrow it shouldn't sit like that.

The notch is lined up with the triangle and there's nothing that I can see or shake out of the shaft. I've only used it a handful of times which is the most disappointing thing about it. I might just email the pics to Merkur and see what they think.

Has it always been like that or is it recent?

At first glance I thought it was bent from pressure - like the razor sitting on its side and something heavy placed on it....but I guess it would have to be something pretty damned heavy to bend that.

I purchased a Mergress from Lees Razors that was much like that, not quite as exaggerated but still misaligned enough to give noticably uneven blade exposure along each edge.
I struggled through and ended up selling to a friendly chap in England, making him well aware of the issue pre-sale. He loves it, though I am considering buying another one and hoping my luck is better this time around.

One of the advantage of buying preowned from forum members. You, almost always, get an honest assessment of the razor. My adjustable Merkurs we all bought preowned.