My grandpa's DE razor

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Apparently word as gotten around that I'm interested in 'old razors' because when I caught up with my grandma yesterday she handed me my grandpa's razor. I'm really glad that I'll be able to make use of it, and hopefully ensure that it remains in our family for generations to come.

As far as I can tell, its a 1940's style Gillette Rocket (but feel free to correct me if that's wrong). It's a very sturdy razor, and the TTO knob is extremely smooth. I'd say it is slightly better made than my Superspeeds.

Here's some pics. The last two are after I'd done some cleaning and polishing (but I'm not finished yet).

Have many of you also bee fortunate enough to inherit a razor?

I quite possibly will be soon. :sad2: Although as my grandfather said to me, "only the good die young, I'll be around for a while yet." He is 86 and has had some major health problems for a long time.

My gillette #70 was my dads. Coincidence: he bought it at the age of 25 (1960), I bought a Braun electric when I was 25 that cost about $300 and it died 2-3 years later after probably less than 50 uses. I now use a fricken 50 year old razor that works.

Great looking razor mate must be nice and weighty

Apparently word as gotten around that I'm interested in 'old razors' because when I caught up with my grandma yesterday she handed me my grandpa's razor. I'm really glad that I'll be able to make use of it, and hopefully ensure that it remains in our family for generations to come.

As far as I can tell, its a 1940's style Gillette Rocket (but feel free to correct me if that's wrong). It's a very sturdy razor, and the TTO knob is extremely smooth. I'd say it is slightly better made than my Superspeeds.

Here's some pics. The last two are after I'd done some cleaning and polishing (but I'm not finished yet).

Even better is it not a 1940's style Gillette Rocket but a Rocket "HD"/500/#59. The collar is different - check out the pics in this thread. It is either #7 or # 9.

Depending upon the weight it is either a:

• "HD" - 71 grams for the full brass and copper version,
  • "MD" - 57 grams for the less common variant with aluminium handle,
  • "LD" - 34 grams for the 'all' aluminium version

All three are great shavers, the HD in my book close to the British Aristocrats in quality.

I've not inherited a razor so have to create my own heirloom, see here.

My gillette #70 was my dads. Coincidence: he bought it at the age of 25 (1960), I bought a Braun electric when I was 25 that cost about $300 and it died 2-3 years later after probably less than 50 uses. I now use a fricken 50 year old razor that works.

WOW, what a great razor to have as a heirloom. The #70 is a great set!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies.

Mark, I think you are on to something (didn't notice the collar)- I'm pretty sure its the Rocket HD. Will have to find some scales to weigh it.

I'd already read your great thread about what you have put together for your son- very impressive.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's a HD rocket too.
Good inheritance!

Myself, nah, not going to happen, my dad was using disposables as long as I've known (not cartridges, but the bic chuck the whole thing away type). He did have a DE once, but chucked it away 30 years ago.
No idea what either grandfather used, whatever it was, was probably thrown away too as they passed on a long time ago.

After three shaves with this, I'm convinced its the best razor I've used to date. Very impressive :)

If I ever get my hands on something like a spoiler, this is the razor I'll use with it.

Wow! High praise. What were you using previously and in what ways do you find this superior?

Wow! High praise. What were you using previously and in what ways do you find this superior?

There are reasons why the Rockets are so popular, along with the Presidents. They shave VERY well.