My Journey on the Straight Path

filobiblic

Facepeeler Extraordinare
State Convenor - NSW
Group Buy Caporegime
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2015 Sabbatical Fail
This is my experiences of learning to use a straight razor. I bought a $35 Gold Dollar razor that was expertly honed from @Mark and a cheap strop. I decided to start with the GD as it's cheap (yet solid) with a follow up hone by @Mark - top value!

Day 1
Perhaps I need to nick myself before I'll feel any fear, but not at all apprehensive about using the Gold Dollar. The hardest part is the awkward angles. I couldn't seem to get a comfortable angle for looking in the mirror and seeing the blade against the face clearly. I only focused on the two cheeks rather than go nuts with the rest of the face. I changed hands for the other side as it's already awkward and may as well continue on the other side. (Better in the long run to switch hands...) Added about 10 mins to the morning shave.

Day 2
Gave it some stropping love this morning. Seemed to go reasonably well. No issues with the stropping thing (at the moment!). I'm using a small cheapie strop of cowhide and linen. Linen for post-shave strop. The leather for the pre-shave strop.

Again, the awkward angles. Does anyone have some tips for me here? I can't seem to get comfortable. Is it a technique or an experience issue?

Just the cheeks, switching hands, and added around 10 mins to the shave. Going with the grain and gives a simple DFS. I'm sure technique over time will improve the result. I've read that it's best to keep going with frequent, regular use of the straight if you want to improve.

Hi @filobiblic, I'm glad to see you giving straights a shot. It certainly is a learning curve that only gets better as you go and this is when patience is needed most. It certainly is difficult to switch hands in the beginning but in time it will pay off. When I started it took me a lot of shaves before I could get a BBS just like most of us and I don't regret it one bit. You can slightly turn to the side to able to see everything in the mirror but the key is to keep the skin taught and maintain the one angle when doing the cheecks and just go straight down. It's more psychological than anything else so confidence will only improve and will boost your technique, muscle memory will take over and in no time it will be second nature.

When using your slight gentle touch which I'm sure you are, there is no risk involved apart from little wheepers you might get every now and again which is ok. It's fine to lightly go over the same area a number of times but pressure is your enemy so avoid that at all costs. As much as it's mentioned that straight razor shaving is a manly thing, the right thing to do is to treat it like a baby so a good slick lather with nice cushion and a gentle short strokes are your best friends and will dominate any beard out there.

Thanks for the advice @Mark. So it seems that the viewing angle is more about experience and technique than a one-size-fits-all solution.

I do agree there is a lot of psychological interference happening with str8s...

a good slick lather with nice cushion and a gentle short strokes are your best friends
Yes to short strokes; especially XTG & ATG. I've watched videos of blokes using long strokes and I just can't get the smoothness/closeness. It may be my lack of attention to the concentration/angle thing, but short strokes I find are definitely the better method.

Yes to short strokes; especially XTG & ATG. I've watched videos of blokes using long strokes and I just can't get the smoothness/closeness. It may be my lack of attention to the concentration/angle thing, but short strokes I find are definitely the better method.
Thanks for confirming and echoing the advice. I've definitely stuck with short strokes. Been going ok with the blade. It's just been strange with the positioning of hands in relation to face. I guess a DE has a handle perpendicular so you can see more clearly. (Your hands are away from the face.)

A suggestion that those proficient in the use of straights may echo or denounce, yet do you use a DE w/o a mirror/while showering ?
I ask, as perhaps doing that beforehand will give you a better grasp upon the 'feel' so to speak.

Day 3
Still feeling uncoordinated with hands and razor. Do I use the right hand for the right side of my face (and vice versa)?

Still no blood (always a good thing).

Short strokes that sweep the lather away are good. Trouble is they feel like they "skip" across the face. Is that due to the angle? Or just my uncoordination....?

A suggestion that those proficient in the use of straights may echo or denounce, yet do you use a DE w/o a mirror/while showering ?
I ask, as perhaps doing that beforehand will give you a better grasp upon the 'feel' so to speak.
Is that Q for me? No, I don't shave in the shower. I don't want to either. And it's more about practise with a straight than a DE. They feel quite different to use in the hand.

Day 3
Still feeling uncoordinated with hands and razor. Do I use the right hand for the right side of my face (and vice versa)?

Still no blood (always a good thing).

Short strokes that sweep the lather away are good. Trouble is they feel like they "skip" across the face. Is that due to the angle? Or just my uncoordination....?
Knowing/mapping your hair growth is mega-important if you want a close shave with a straight, even more so than with a DE.

Left hand for LHS of face, right hand for RHS of face on first pass WTG. As I have coordination issues on my LHS from an accident years ago I can vouch that you train/learn to use your non-dominant side after some practice. Practice, practice, practice. It is worth the time, hassle and nicks.

I use my right hand on the second pass on both RHS & LHS when "cutting upwards" or XTG beneath the jaw line and nose to ear on cheeks, I then switch back to left hand for LHS of face and right hand for RNS of face on the third pass ATG and my final tidy-up.

The "skipping" you describe may be excess pressure. Too sharp an angle and too much pressure are my great and persistent errors. I'll rid myself of these one day ... ... ... I hope.

Thanks mate. Sounds good. Got the hair direction down pat. It's just the practise of using the hands in a way different to DE shaving.

Day 4
It's beginning to click now. Now that I've settled which hand is for which side of the face, I can just make it work. But I also think the hands also know what to do now. It's coming together slowly.

Short, sweeping strokes removed the lather and the result was clear audible feedback. The razor removing hair felt smooth (not skipping like yesterday) and pleasant. Definitely a win. [emoji106]

After a few more goes with just the cheeks, I'll move on to the neck.

That's excellent @filobiblic. I'm glad it's working for you. Another handful of shaves and you'll be able to do it blindfolded (actually no dont do that lol) It's all about feel and audio, you've got it!
Thanks for sharing your experiences with your straight razor journey. Shave on ;)

That's excellent @filobiblic. I'm glad it's working for you. Another handful of shaves and you'll be able to do it blindfolded (actually no dont do that lol) It's all about feel and audio, you've got it!
Thanks for sharing your experiences with your straight razor journey. Shave on ;)
If I ever try it blindfolded, you'll read it in the news... [emoji15] Wet shaving- the new danger sport.

E6xAunQ.jpg

Don't do it

E6xAunQ.jpg

Don't do it
Looks like you gave your cat an ear-lobotomy there mate. Sure you didn't try to give it a shave with your str8...

Is why I inquired about those that DE in the shower, as to my reasoning at least, that relies more upon sound/feel than sight, which while not in the same arena as straight shaving, is a similar sport.

Day 5
Not much to add. Getting smoother and into the rhythm. Finding my way around with both hands on both sides of the face. For some reason the left hand seems to be smoother (I'm naturally right handed).

Day 5
Not much to add. Getting smoother and into the rhythm. Finding my way around with both hands on both sides of the face. For some reason the left hand seems to be smoother (I'm naturally right handed).
Yeah rest up mate, as I don't much need the temptation.

$35 str8 shava
$35 strop
A lifetime of cool smooth... Priceless.
Yeah right, just like:
1x EJ89
1x EJ badger
1x Cella
-----
an entree into a world where I spend twenty-five times more than I thought I'd save from a wretched life of 'expensive' cartridges and aero-foam.

I buy a straight today, and then tomorrow I will want this:
14017403cz.jpg

Oh how I want a Iwasaki Kamisori!!!!!!!!!!