My Kamisori Experience

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
I have never shaved with a kamisori style SR. Thinking that it was about time that I broadened my SR shaving experience, I reached out to @LesC for help and guidance. Les has offered me the loan of two of his kamisoris; a Tosuke R2 (stainless steel) and a Yamamasa (Hagane) carbon steel. While I wait about a week or so for their arrival, I will be studying how to hone and shave with these different style of razor.

As I progress down this side rabbit hole, I will report back in this thread.

From me, a big thank you to @LesC.

I will not buy A kamiksori, but I might buy many kamisori.

My little brother lives in Japan outside of Kyoto. Here he is after his first SR shave.
UsjWSf0.jpg

In preparation for the arrival of the kamisoris this coming week from @LesC, yesterday and today I shaved with my shorty razors trying to use just one side of the razor. My intention is to shave with just one side of the blade, Ura side facing out.Ura

Saturday's shave was with my Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 shorty and this morning was with my "Bengall" shorty. Both razors have an edge length of 52mm.
4S9nDg0.jpg
T9om6h8.jpg

Saturday's shave was kind of successful, although I found myself occasionally shaving with the wrong side of the blade. To help solve this on Sunday, I used a marker pen to show me the Ura side on the "Bengall". No more shaving with the wrong side. Both shaves produced a bit of skin damage, just some weepers that cleared up with my final face rinse.

What I have learnt thus far is that I need to work out the best positions of the blade so as to effectively just shave with the Ura facing out. With these new shaving positions, I also need to work on having and keeping the correct shaving angles. I normally shave with my right hand only. It is sometimes better to shave with my left hand in certain locations and directions on my face.

After two "practise kamisori" shaves, I think I might survive with real kamisori shaving. It won't be perfect initially, but I believe that I will soon be getting good results without any skin damage.

Yesterday's (Monday) and this morning's (Tuesday) shaves were again with the "Bengall" shorty. I am improving with each shave.

After this morning's shave, the two kamisori razors arrived from @LesC. One is a more modern Tosuke R2 (stainless steel) and the other a Yamamasa (Hagane) of carbon steel. Both kamis are axisymmetrically ground and right-handed.

TOSUKA R2
Z58jY4G.jpg
Ge4ACPF.jpg

YAMASMASA
AqxN2Go.jpg

1ibflV3.jpg

I am not sure if these kamis are shave-ready, however, the Tosuka passed an unexpected thumb test. I will find out for sure tomorrow when I start shaving with these beauties.
B2u6zoq.jpg

I have a good mate who is Japanese and has a set of Six Kamisoris. Was always intrigued about why he doesn't use a German Straight or just De Razors then figured out that the bloke likes pain, ha ha ha ha ha.

He is an instructor in Full Body Contact Karate, indulges in downhill Mountain Biking (has broken a few bones), loves to eat peppers like the California Reaper and the Bhut Jholokia, stuff that I would stay away from with a 100 foot pole. The best part is he still cuts himself every time he shaves and says "Whats a little Pain for a man.":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

¿Que? WTF?
To increase the stealth capabilities of the Hidden Wrist Blade, Assassins would cut off their ring finger. This would allow the blade to extend naturally from the hole created by the user's missing appendage. The cutting of the ring finger also held a deep significance for the Brotherhood.

I have a good mate who is Japanese and has a set of Six Kamisoris. Was always intrigued about why he doesn't use a German Straight or just De Razors then figured out that the bloke likes pain, ha ha ha ha ha.

He is an instructor in Full Body Contact Karate, indulges in downhill Mountain Biking (has broken a few bones), loves to eat peppers like the California Reaper and the Bhut Jholokia, stuff that I would stay away from with a 100 foot pole. The best part is he still cuts himself every time he shaves and says "Whats a little Pain for a man.":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That’s the spirit 😂