My second razor - which adjustable?

Ahhh yes, ODD - a great 'diagnosis'. Once upon a time they were just a kid looking for a good smack on the behind ...

Ahhh yes, ODD - a great 'diagnosis'. Once upon a time they were just a kid looking for a good smack on the behind ...
I was never 'looking for' but I certainly was one 'who got'.

Six of the best from the Vice Principal never harmed me none…:notworthy:

I've done a little more digging on the internets and think a Slim is probably better suited to my skill-level. But a Fatboy will come…
Man these things don't come cheap!

@stillshunter : Where are you looking? eBay? Etsy? I'm guessing all online because I find diddly squat here in Oz. So jealous of all the second-hand razors that are found in any 2nd hand shop in the States.

@stillshunter : Where are you looking? eBay? Etsy? I'm guessing all online because I find diddly squat here in Oz. So jealous of all the second-hand razors that are found in any 2nd hand shop in the States.
Yep those places both, also YKW, but it seems it's the quick and dead on there though. You're right it's looking more and more like an OS purchase. But I'm in no hurry so will wait out that bargain.

Yep those places both, also YKW, but it seems it's the quick and dead on there though. You're right it's looking more and more like an OS purchase. But I'm in no hurry so will wait out that bargain.
It is truly amazing what has happened to the second hand razor market in the 2 to 3 years since I joined this forum. I was able to use the shotgun approach to buying because 15 to 20dollars would often bring a win of 5 or 6 razors. It is how I ended up with 2 Slims and a Fatboy plus a very motley collection of both DE and SE razors. I wonder whether if I was starting now I would be willing to pay the prices taht are being asked.

YKW is a punt, some members are on there to fleece others. I'd see what Mark has. He's sell so much of his stuff he should be on the vendors list.

All the easier to moderate him...

YKW is a punt, some members are on there to fleece others. I'd see what Mark has. He's sell so much of his stuff he should be on the vendors list.

All the easier to moderate him...

Watch out @Mark1966 you could be joining a very very exclusive club soon. :) :) (Always 2 smileys when replying to Drubbing - it is a site rule)

It is truly amazing what has happened to the second hand razor market in the 2 to 3 years since I joined this forum. I was able to use the shotgun approach to buying because 15 to 20dollars would often bring a win of 5 or 6 razors. It is how I ended up with 2 Slims and a Fatboy plus a very motley collection of both DE and SE razors. I wonder whether if I was starting now I would be willing to pay the prices taht are being asked.
Surely a man don't need two Slims. Any thoughts on parting with one for a newbie? Looking forward to your PM on a fair pre-2010 price ;)o_O (2x only because you insisted).

Resuscitating an old thread as the hunt for the complementary razor continues…now with a little more vigour.

I've decided on my adjustable and it will be a Slim. But these are like rocking horse shit here in Australia so I'm putting that ambition on the simmer - one will show up soon enough I am sure. So to broaden my horizons beyond the Edwin Jagger DE89 I'm thinking about an open comb. I hear something like the Gillette New Long Comb - "New LC" - is a decent starter being a mildly aggressive OC.

Any opinions on Open Combs?

I want one soon though - so please don't suggest a limited edition razor only available from an elderly Polish guy living in Greenland who sells only on his stall at the Winter Solstice festival. I've just started the Monsta blade challenge and would like to try these blades loaded in razors other than the DE89. I'll put a wanted ad out in the Buy'n'Sell (and send some PMs), but be keen on advice on open combs that don't shave BBS to the third layer of the epidermis.

I knee the de89 and feel that I would have been just as happy if I had stick with that.
I also have a gold Fatboy (executive or something is the real name), and an eclipse red ring. Both nice enough razors but not earth shatteringly different.
I say just be happy with the EJ. It's not a popular opinion to have around here though.

I knee the de89 and feel that I would have been just as happy if I had stick with that.
I also have a gold Fatboy (executive or something is the real name), and an eclipse red ring. Both nice enough razors but not earth shatteringly different.
I say just be happy with the EJ. It's not a popular opinion to have around here though.
Like to stand-out from the crowd!…but also like a little variety. Do you still use the DE89 Eggy or did you sell it on?
P.S., my condolences for the loss of your friend Rik. Sorely lost!

Like to stand-out from the crowd!…but also like a little variety. Do you still use the DE89 Eggy or did you sell it on?
P.S., my condolences for the loss of your friend Rik. Sorely lost!

I've still got the DE 89 and was shaving with it the week before I moved house. I agree with others that it is a slightly milder razor but it can share you just as close, you just don't have to concentrate on not slicing your Adams apple off site so much.
Your question made me realise that I'm not entirely sure where it is since the move.

It is a sad day indeed. I hope Ade Edmondson gives him an appropriately irreverent send off.

It is a sad day indeed. I hope Ade Edmondson gives him an appropriately irreverent send off.
Oh, good. He did:

"And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard." - Ade Edmondson

10366041_696563317071785_3788686211098732075_n.png

Know this is off topic, but bugger it. Shit this is one sad image that says it all!

Resuscitating an old thread as the hunt for the complementary razor continues…now with a little more vigour.

I'm thinking about an open comb. I hear something like the Gillette New Long Comb - "New LC" - is a decent starter being a mildly aggressive OC.

Any opinions on Open Combs?

I want one soon though - so please don't suggest a limited edition razor only available from an elderly Polish guy living in Greenland who sells only on his stall at the Winter Solstice festival. I've just started the Monsta blade challenge and would like to try these blades loaded in razors other than the DE89. I'll put a wanted ad out in the Buy'n'Sell (and send some PMs), but be keen on advice on open combs that don't shave BBS to the third layer of the epidermis.

If you're thinking of a New LC, hold out for an English flat bottom or raised bottom. They are a step (or two) above the US versions. The ultimate is a new Deluxe, but these are almost in the category that you describe above. More reasonable are the models 77 or 88.

For a modern adjustable, the Futur has possibilities. At setting 1 it will be a little more aggressive than what you have, and it can be dialed up to suit. I really like mine.

Cheers, George

Last edited:
Snagged me a NEW. Technically it's a "UK Long Comb NEW with Twin | Pin on Full Knurled handle". I'd link to the auction but it'll just mean I'm creating an inevitable dead-link.

Until I post my own image, it looks very much like this:

1930-40%20NEW%20in%20brown%20bakelite%20case%20England.JPG

…but with this handle:
service1.1.jpg

…so comes the next step in my DE razoring adventure.

Finds me with a mixture of excitement and trepidation, but I'll know more about how much blood it will claim after it arrives next week.

You'll be fine with that razor. No need to put the ER on speed dial. I shaved with my English flat bottom New this morning. Very smooth, no nicks, cut or weepers. I have the one that no-one else has seen on your thread over at B&B (I'm GBinOZ over there).
ELC1.jpg ELC3.jpg

Cheers, George

I know where he lives - well he knows where I do anyway. He came and saw and is now conquering!

You'll be fine with that razor. No need to put the ER on speed dial. I shaved with my English flat bottom New this morning. Very smooth, no nicks, cut or weepers. I have the one that no-one else has seen on your thread over at B&B (I'm GBinOZ over there).
View attachment 625 View attachment 626

Hey George, nice razor!!!! Great to see another handle exactly like mine…they seem a little scarce them austere British handles. Very interesting bottom plate you got there. Your blade aint going anywhere with that generous groove!.

Hope the NEW LC is as nice on the face as it is to the eye.