New from Adelaide

rockleigh1968

Hi All, I am a minimalist, or at least trying to simplify my existence on this planet and minimise my impact. I have recently simplified my shaving equipment opting for long lasting hardware and low waste producing consumables. I have been using BIC disposable triple bladed razors for the past 10 years with a Faulding 'Shave' cream in a white brown and orange plastic tube.
The process of shaving has been uneventful, in that my results were satisfactory, and no real issues with rashes, however the whole routine was a drudgery to be endured. I never used a brush as I thought that this aspect of shaving unnecessary.
My upgraded kit now consists of a Merkur 34c, Omega pro 38 in chrome and a tub of Proraso White 'Sappone'. My current blades are the Feather brand which do the job nicely.
This simple combination was selected largely from reviews I had read. And was at an acceptable cost to quality ratio.
I am actually enjoying the activity of shaving now, without the guilt of throwing a piece of plastic and three metal blades in the bin every week or so.

Welcome Rock. We have a few minimalists here but otherwise it's a tough crowd if you are planning on staying that way.

Good choice of shaving tools you have there. The 34C is a schmick razor.

Great to have you on board.

Welcome and best of luck with the restraint.

Hello and welcome. Things are going well here as far as I'm concerned. We've had a recently joined up single edge shaver and now a self confessed minimalist. All right down my alley. Let's hope we can off-set the impact caused by the horde of members who are attempting to stock their own weight in soaps.

Welcome Rock

@Mark1966 is also concerned about shaving gear getting thrown out and adding to landfill. He has decided to make it his life work to collect up all shaving related gear and house it under the guise of a 'collection'. He has narrowed it to mainly Gillette branded landfill, so others will have to take up the slack for non Gillette items.

It's true though, you won't be needing to throw out your 34C in the thirty fourseeable future.

You've made PJs week.

I myself only use one razor. But a brush is mandatory. Sometimes 8 or 9...

Welcome RL68! Glad you progressed from the disposable to the durable razor by simplifying from multi-blade to single-blade shaving. [emoji106]

Plenty of Adelaidian wet shavers here and maybe you can get to meet some of them down the track.

Nice to hear from you all... thanks for the comments

PJ, hopefully I can learn a thing or two from the consumables stockpilers and find the one single BEST soap. I'll bet there is no consensus, but will have a look through the postings and at the reviews.

The Proraso White Positives - 1. has a great smell, texture. 2. lathers easily in my opinion 3. works well
The Poraso White Negatives - 1. Imported all the way from Italy 2. Is not available in puck form without the box and plastic bowl.

PJ, hopefully I can learn a thing or two from the consumables stockpilers and find the one single BEST soap. I'll bet there is no consensus, but will have a look through the postings and at the reviews..........

There generally isn't a consensus so wait for the soap overload about to happen on the for sale or, if you like, recycling thread.

By the way, the notion of environmental awareness hasn't been at the forefront of my shaving acquisitions but having said that, all my hardware is recycled/second hand, most of my brushes similarly are second hand rebuilds (OK, so badger hair isn't strictly speaking renewable!) and I've promised, (bored everybody to tears more like) not to buy anymore software for years to come.

Consider yourself an honorary member of my newly created group called SLAP (shave like Amish people).

Last edited:
There generally isn't a consensus so wait for the soap overload about to happen on the for sale or, if you like, recycling thread.
No consensus @rockleigh1968 but a VERY good place to start (and perhaps end!) is to pick up a tub of Barrister & Mann's Latha which @Monsta_AU will make available here in Oz shortly. Look for the For Sale post in the BST... Read the reviews and you really can't go past this soap for the price and quality. Absolutely excellent and will blow your Proraso White away...

PJ, hopefully I can learn a thing or two from the consumables stockpilers and find the one single BEST soap. I'll bet there is no consensus, but will have a look through the postings and at the reviews.

The Proraso White Positives - 1. has a great smell, texture. 2. lathers easily in my opinion 3. works well
The Poraso White Negatives - 1. Imported all the way from Italy 2. Is not available in puck form without the box and plastic bowl.

Personally, I think trying to control your import fotprint might be taking things too far . There are so many variables you have no control over, and who knows where all the ingredients and manufacture of 'local' supermarket creams are sourced anyway. Most of our consumer items are imported, and it's been that way for a long time.

This choice of shaving already puts you way ahead in cost saving and packaging wasteage, than carts and cans. Trying to dial it down any further than it already is, is an excise in massively diminshed returns IMO.

This choice of shaving already puts you way ahead in cost saving and packaging wasteage, than carts and cans. Trying to dial it down any further than it already is, is an excise in massively diminshed returns IMO.

Yes agreed Drub, the only way to reduce the import footprint realistically would be to make my own soap i suppose.... My time is more important than having to do that.

Sale post in the BST... Read the reviews and you really can't go past this soap for the price and quality. Absolutely excellent and will blow your Proraso White away...
Thanks for the tip... filo

Consider yourself an honorary member of my newly created group called SLAP (shave like Amish people).

Yeah, SLAP er, thats me.

Good to have another Adelaidean shaver on here.

A few of us meet up semi-regularly for a coffee so come along some time.

Another welcome from a fellow Adelaidean - our next meet up should be Sunday in a week - please pm @khun_diddy or myself closer to the date...

Welcome @rockleigh1968. I to have the Merkur 34C and find it to be a great razor. I admire you minimalist stand. I started here with only two soaps, lets just say i have vastly more soaps now ;)

Another member from Adelaide AND a minimalist - don't we have standards here?

[sigh]

OK, welcome I suppose. Buy more stuff though and you will have more friends .... :)

Another member from Adelaide AND a minimalist - don't we have standards here?

[sigh]

OK, welcome I suppose. Buy more stuff though and you will have more friends .... :)
You don't consider me a minimalist do you ;)